Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:15:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about this comment ?  (Read 2636 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6158

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 06:55:26 PM

I was watching this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hBhymFfm8 then was checking the comments and I found this :

I'd like to hear from you and what do you think about this comment ? is he right or wrong (on the last part )?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mixan
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

TRUMP IS DOING THE BEST! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 06:57:16 PM

He/she is just starting stuff to drive up the buy.
Probably a pumper/dumper him/herself.  Cheesy

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 06:58:05 PM

I was watching this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hBhymFfm8 then was checking the comments and I found this :

I'd like to hear from you and what do you think about this comment ? is he right or wrong (on the last part )?

#1 dont read youtube video comments, there should be health warnings attached to them.
#2 there is no way to know who ownes a certain address, thus there is no way to know how many coins someone has, thus the whole thing can not be based on facts
#3 FUD
#4 individuals own individuals...?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 06:58:24 PM

That's been discussed here and there and there are some valid points that are recurrent on those discussions... Where does Business Insider base their info on? Do they count addresses as one individual?

And yes, if you link 1 address=1 individual, wealth disparity is bigger than some fiat currencies, that's known for quite some time... But 1 address = 1 individual isn't always true
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:10:34 PM

most of the 47 top addresses are exchanges, who manage thousands of users.
same for some of the top 880 addresses. these are hot wallets for exchanges and businesses.

so the comments are statistics but do not have substance.. as they have not looked into who/what those addresses are.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
leex1528

Activity: 784

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:11:29 PM

I don't understand how they are getting those numbers?  It is a youtube comment so I am guessing it is probably fake.  I thought one of the greatest things with Bitcoin is you have no idea who is at the end of the wallet?
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:12:08 PM

It came from youtube, so I don't think I would really take what that user commented on that. Also, though what he said was true, just compare the figures to fiat and you will see which is much scarier.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:13:51 PM

I don't see what the issue is.

Bitcoin was never meant to redistribute wealth and make the world more "fair".

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:13:58 PM

I'm sure it's exchanges and business that account for many of the largest addresses, but it's undeniable that there are some ginormous individual holders.

Assuming it becomes a success what are such people planning to do? They can either sell, which they can only do once. They can spend them which again spreads them far and wide. They can sit on them and then not much happens at all.

The criticism of its distribution is valid but none of the above are particularly spine chilling options.

RussianRaibow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I AM A SCAMMER

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 07:28:05 PM

I don't understand how they are getting those numbers?  It is a youtube comment so I am guessing it is probably fake.  I thought one of the greatest things with Bitcoin is you have no idea who is at the end of the wallet?

It came from youtube, so I don't think I would really take what that user commented on that. Also, though what he said was true, just compare the figures to fiat and you will see which is much scarier.

It did not come from YouTube. It came from businessinsider and businessinsider got it from bitcointalk.

Businessinsider link: http://www.businessinsider.com/927-People-Own-Half-Of-The-Bitcoins/articleshow/27194885.cms

Bitcointalk link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316297.0

I AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMER
leex1528

Activity: 784

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:34:56 PM

I don't understand how they are getting those numbers?  It is a youtube comment so I am guessing it is probably fake.  I thought one of the greatest things with Bitcoin is you have no idea who is at the end of the wallet?

It did not come from YouTube. It came from businessinsider and businessinsider got it from bitcointalk.

Businessinsider link: http://www.businessinsider.com/927-People-Own-Half-Of-The-Bitcoins/articleshow/27194885.cms

Bitcointalk link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316297.0

Even so, if it is from a reliable source how on earth are we supposed to believe it?  Where do they get the numbers from this?  How can they tell who owns what wallet?  I highly doubt this is true, and even if it is, its just like the american currency is now anyway, as far as numbers go
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:38:12 PM

funny because it was mean to be like that, even satoshi would agree, there is the need to have few people holding more at the beginning, therefore many other can buy, and increase the price due to a strong demand

if everybody was starting with the same amount of btc, there will be less demand and just holding, the price would remain stuck there forever
Glucose

Activity: 861
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:04:25 PM

most of the 47 top addresses are exchanges, who manage thousands of users.

Well, we all have to admit : it's well known a few early adopters control an important part of the bitcoins. But what you say is really an important fact to remember.

One can't just consider 1 address = 1 individual. It would be really absurd.

But you also have to remember that the bitcoin network is still young. Wealth will have a better repartition in a few years...
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:04:58 PM

Even if this was true, there was really Jo other way around to start a decentralized project like Bitcoin. In the beginning, there was only a handful of people that owned bitcoins. Satoshi, Hal, and the rest of few. So in the beginning, the distribution was worse ever. But it gets better as time is passing. I mean it's better today than 2 years ago when I got into Bitcoin and it will be better in two years than it was today if we continue with mass adoption.

Really nothing to worry about even if this data is true.
Btcforall

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:14:34 PM

it is quite possible.Few people may have lots of bitcoin remember bitcoin is not earned but it can be produced and early miners had lot of advantage.They might be holding lot of bitcoin

Bitcoininspace

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:17:15 PM

Even if he is right, this is the start of bitcoin.

Do you think all those people are going to hold onto their coins?

Who says 10% won't sell at 500$, 20% will sell at 800$, 30% will sell at 1500$, etc etc, maybe keep some of their coins but most people are looking into profiting from it right now.

With time this will get more and more stable, as we've seen lately with the price.

But never forget that we are still in the very beginning of this new era. Bitcoin will get more distributed with time, I am sure of that.
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:21:07 PM

There will only ever be 21 million bitcoins, and there are over 7 billion people in the world already.

If you own even 1 bitcoin, you already own way more than your 'fair share'...  If you took all the bitcoins that currently exist and divided them among all the people in the world equally, there would only be a little more than 0.002 bitcoins per person.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Bitcoininspace

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:23:18 PM

There will only ever be 21 million bitcoins, and there are over 7 billion people in the world already.

If you own even 1 bitcoin, you already own way more than your 'fair share'...  If you took all the bitcoins that currently exist and divided them among all the people in the world equally, there would only be a little more than 0.002 bitcoins per person.

Yeah, I believe in the future bitcoin will be pushed back a couple decimals too. Or the word bit for 100k satoshis will become more popular instead with price rising.
Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:35:10 PM

i think hes more than right on the missing bitcoins part,alot of people make posts here about missing bitcoins, but i dont think hes right about the wealth dispersion part,he has no references,he doesnt tell us where he got that info from. How do we know if its credible or not
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:43:13 PM

i think hes more than right on the missing bitcoins part,alot of people make posts here about missing bitcoins, but i dont think hes right about the wealth dispersion part,he has no references,he doesnt tell us where he got that info from. How do we know if its credible or not

There's no way of verifying it but I don't think there's much doubt that distribution is insanely skewed. There are enough heavy hitters who've admitted to enormous holdings. The question is, is that actually a problem?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: