Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:46:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin version 0.3.22  (Read 18117 times)
bitnut

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:20:22 PM

Beware that this version still seems to have the bug where initial wallet.dat creation does not fill the keypool with 100 pregenerated keypairs. Someone just lost a lot of BTC because of that (see http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11104.0).
Actually that guy lost his coins before keypool was created, in fact, keypool was created as a response to that person's post.
That said, yes you are right, before you backup the first time, make sure you get some coins and/or send some.
No, the keypool feature was created as a response of someone else (see http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=782.msg8620). The creation of at least one new address must be triggered in order for the keypool to be filled, and that is still the case for version 0.3.22. So is there a reason why a new wallet.dat contains only 1 keypair until you create a new address? Seems like a bug to me...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Veldy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:17:03 PM

I also am sticking to the old client.  The new client makes connections very slowly and I had a very small amount sent to me that never appeared.  Went back to the previous client and will wait it out until my small transaction appears.

I don't know why the P2P bit of the code seems so slow to connect and does not connect to many peers at all, but I don't like it.

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
Matt Corallo

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:22:25 PM

No, the keypool feature was created as a response of someone else (see http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=782.msg8620). The creation of at least one new address must be triggered in order for the keypool to be filled, and that is still the case for version 0.3.22. So is there a reason why a new wallet.dat contains only 1 keypair until you create a new address? Seems like a bug to me...
Oh sorry, anyway close enough.  But yes, its a bug and there is a pull to fix it, probably to be pulled very soon or fixed in some form or another.

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
Prze_koles

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:26:36 PM

Is it working on Ubuntu 11.04 with compiz now?

1FzTJh1C58m1gqnNzxLTt2ryNYkuk1YdfN
Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:01:24 PM

Is it working on Ubuntu 11.04 with compiz now?
Yes.

xf2_org (OP)

Merit: 13

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:30:41 PM

I also am sticking to the old client.  The new client makes connections very slowly and I had a very small amount sent to me that never appeared.  Went back to the previous client and will wait it out until my small transaction appears.

I don't know why the P2P bit of the code seems so slow to connect and does not connect to many peers at all, but I don't like it.

The P2P code did not change at all.  This is the behavior of the network, not the new version, because so many new users joined without forwarding their port 8333.

Veldy

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:18:06 PM

The P2P code did not change at all.  This is the behavior of the network, not the new version, because so many new users joined without forwarding their port 8333.

No, I am afraid it is not.  I use uPnP in any event.  I restarted the new version and it very very slowly found the first connection and over the next 10 or more minutes got as high as 9 peers.  I closed it, uninstalled and went back to the previous version.  Started.  A few seconds after it started one then two connections and then they flooded in well above 115 connections [I often have more than 150 connections].  After a time, the client usually drops to 45-60 peers typically.  There is DEFINITELY a difference with the way the new client is working as far as P2P goes.  Maybe uPnP was broken?

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
kseistrup

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 05:33:16 PM

No, I am afraid it is not.  I use uPnP in any event.  I restarted the new version and it very very slowly found the first connection and over the next 10 or more minutes got as high as 9 peers.  I closed it, uninstalled and went back to the previous version.  Started.  A few seconds after it started one then two connections and then they flooded in well above 115 connections [I often have more than 150 connections].  After a time, the client usually drops to 45-60 peers typically.  There is DEFINITELY a difference with the way the new client is working as far as P2P goes.  Maybe uPnP was broken?

Same behavious here, except I don't use UPnP (and I'm not behind NAT).

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 05:43:50 PM

This is the result of splitting up the IRC channel. The new 'split-up' channels are relatively empty now, compared to the original single channel. This should improve significantly as more users switch to 0.3.22.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Veldy

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:33:40 PM

This is the result of splitting up the IRC channel. The new 'split-up' channels are relatively empty now, compared to the original single channel. This should improve significantly as more users switch to 0.3.22.

It makes payments very slow to occur though [or appeared to], so I am not sure the incentive is there for most people except the ability to enter 0.005 transaction fees [or receive payment out to eight digits I believe was also added although most pools don't support that yet].  I don't think there is a great incentive to upgrade.  I will update in any event to do my part, but if adoption remains low and receiving payments proves latent, then I will go back.

xf2_org (OP)

Merit: 13

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:17:14 PM

If I upgrade, is there something I need to do with the wallet file to make sure I still have all the old addresses? Or does it just update the client and keep the data files?

An update just changes the software.  Your wallet is compatible across software upgrades.

Veldy

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:40:26 PM

And if it somehow wasn't, it should be backed up securely before any upgrade anyway [unless it is empty I suppose].

xlcus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:48:57 PM

/home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind)
/home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind)
. . .
Description:    Ubuntu 9.04

As far as I know Ubuntu builds work only on newer Ubuntu releases, you have too old one.

Is this new version built against newer libraries for a good reason?  I'm gonna have to stick with an older version too it seems.  Sad
Veldy

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:13:51 PM

/home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind)
/home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/bitcoin/bin/bitcoind)
. . .
Description:    Ubuntu 9.04

As far as I know Ubuntu builds work only on newer Ubuntu releases, you have too old one.

Is this new version built against newer libraries for a good reason?  I'm gonna have to stick with an older version too it seems.  Sad

Funny ... Linux has been suffering for several years from the equivalent of the infamous Windows "DLL Hell" which has largely been solved for most application development on Windows [.NET largely minimized it, although it is not gone ... GAC issues can still be a problem, but otherwise, installers tend to include the run-time requirements if missing on the OS].  I have done a lot of work with Linux since December 1996 (Redhat, Slackware and some Debian in the early days, later built my own distribution and work closely with the build your own Linux crowd where we built from source to optimize for our machines and that naturally led to Gentoo).  For all my server needs however, FreeBSD (which I have been using since early 1997 I think ... version 2.2 anyway] has been my platform of choice [excluding Microsoft needs ... which is my professional work] and they keep compatibility libraries available [if you install them, or compile them if you rebuild the OS from source] and even with Linux emulation they do a reasonable good job [RPM based IIRC].  I simply built everything from source and rarely had an issue unless one of their ports was broken or sometimes when I was compiling something not in ports ... naturally that takes work anyway.  LIBC compatibility is pretty much a non-issue in FreeBSD period.  I so wish NVidia and ATI/AMD would focus efforts on drivers for FreeBSD as well [NVidia does, but I don't believe they even closely match Windows drivers in Windows, ATI/AMD ... nothing that I am aware of].

Linux is just a kernel [and you could include supporting utilities], unfortunately.  The rest is the operating system built around it, most largely similar, but all built according to what the distribution prefers and laid out in different ways such that you often can't safely install any packages from other distributions even if they use the same packaging system [i.e. deb and RPM].  Even with better vendor support with Linux, I still do not get near the performance mining using ATI drivers on Ubuntu 11.04.  Trying to install the latest 11.05 catalyst hit the libc nightmare and I didn't want to take any more time and found my old Vista license activated fine on the machine I was using and it works great Smiley

sandos

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:30:02 PM

Why does about always seem to say "-BETA" ? Is this a beta? Same thing with the previous version.

Veldy

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:43:47 PM

Why does about always seem to say "-BETA" ? Is this a beta? Same thing with the previous version.

It isn't even version 1.0 yet.  I would call it beta too.  There is now a worthless CPU miner in there and honestly, the GUI should be separate from the package ... yes, beta is valid.   It is a working beta however, there can be no doubt about that.

Veldy

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:40:34 PM

My client slowly worked up to 24 connections.  My pool payout showed instantaneously in the new client.  Seems all is good.  Probably best if everybody updates to get everybody communicating the same via IRC.

GimEEE

Activity: 112

Ride or Die

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 10:59:05 PM

I'd like to have more options available in the clients, maybe "Bitcoin Pro" or something.
On the macro level
- Multi-wallet support, or at least ability to switch wallets between program loads (i.e.load alternate wallet file)
On the micro level
 - ability to see the mean/median/mode fees that the nodes charged for the last few blocks
 - ability to adjust fee below (i.e. ignore) the .0005 level / tax or any future level tax, as a personal judgement, possibly to one of preset values (described above) (adding an additional field above or below send amount on the send popup screen seems the best interface to allow fee choices)
 - showing each public address balance separately from the total private wallet balance (i.e. 3rd column in address book for balance *and* additional tab for public address balances)
 - ability to manually choose which public addresses are sending BTC instead of the client choosing (extra option for public address to debit, best is ability to choose from all public address balances in any increments up to that accounts balance.
e.g. send screen reads:  
"DEBIT AMOUNT ______ BTC FROM _____ ACCOUNT" <---filling both entries here opens an additional line
"DEBIT AMOUNT ______ BTC FROM _____ ACCOUNT" etc.
Drop down menus preferred but use of address book feature would work, showing balances as above.
 - ability to pay multiple accounts at once. Similar to above,
"CREDIT AMOUNT _______ BTC TO  _______ ACCOUNT" <---filling both entries here opens an additional line
"CREDIT AMOUNT _______ BTC TO  _______ ACCOUNT" etc.

I know several pools have these features, not sure if there's end-user interface for it though.

Name your price/s, although I suspect there are many other users who would enjoy these features.

edit, I'm going to post this to the development thread, please follow up there instead of here.

The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people you don't agree with.
Matt Corallo

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:51:31 PM

Windows 7 Pro x64, RPC command "getwork" causes the rpc server to lock up, thread uses full CPU usage (25% on Q6600.)
Application has to be terminated via task manager.
OK, finally tracked this and one other 100% cpu bug down.
Other one is fixed in Pull req 304.
This one I traced back to CryptoPP ASM not working when cross compiled from Linux (as this release was) causing 100% CPU or segfault in some cases in sha.cpp X86_SHA256_HashBlocks.
DO NOT UPGRADE IF you depend on the ability to mine from a Win32 host
Ill do some more searching and see if I can figure out which flags are breaking it, or disable CryptoPP ASM for 0.3.23.
This is entirely my fault, sorry about this.

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:53:16 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2011, 02:27:48 AM by Oldtimer

I get the dreaded 'problems communicating with rpc server' with this version and it never connects. Old version works fine.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: