Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:40:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EFF and CISA - Impact on Bitcoin?  (Read 479 times)
Blawpaw (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:36:17 PM

In what ways can this affect BTC?

"CISA passed the Senate today in a 74-21 vote. The bill is fundamentally flawed due to its broad immunity clauses, vague definitions, and aggressive spying authorities. The bill now moves to a conference committee despite its inability to address problems that caused recent highly publicized computer data breaches, like unencrypted files, poor computer architecture, un-updated servers, and employees (or contractors) clicking malware links."

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/eff-disappointed-cisa-passes-senate
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:26:22 PM

"CISA passed the Senate today in a 74-21 vote. The bill is fundamentally flawed due to its broad immunity clauses, vague definitions, and aggressive spying authorities. The bill now moves to a conference committee despite its inability to address problems that caused recent highly publicized computer data breaches, like unencrypted files, poor computer architecture, un-updated servers, and employees (or contractors) clicking malware links."

Can anyone put this on layman terms? I hate all this bureaucracy terminology, im not a lawyer..
I've heard recently that they were working in a way to know how many Bitcoins everyone has. I think this is pointless, since there is no way to know, but apparently they are working hard on ways to inspect the blockchain at will. We need more anonymity.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:07:02 AM

Can anyone put this on layman terms? I hate all this bureaucracy terminology, im not a lawyer..
I've heard recently that they were working in a way to know how many Bitcoins everyone has. I think this is pointless, since there is no way to know, but apparently they are working hard on ways to inspect the blockchain at will. We need more anonymity.

Very basically, the US government can tell a company to hand over customer data without a warrant, subpoena, or other,
and that company must comply to that request. In addition, the company can not tell the customer that this has been requested and handed over.

In relation to bitcoin, it could be argued that a company like blockchain.info, bitpay, circle, gemini, coinbase, etc, etc,
can now hand over users data/information without the need for a legal order to do so.
Thus, the gov would "know how many bitcoins you have".

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
quantumgravity

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 12:40:02 AM

It's the model the government likes to take with all data. Give it to us or else! Just look at Google, Facebook, AT&T, Verizon, etc., etc.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: