Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 01:21:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just preordered ASIC chip, now what?  (Read 3983 times)
cancerofthecancer (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:03:28 PM

I just preordered the BTCFPGA 27Gh/s bASIC NextGen Bitcoin Mine https://www.bitcoinasic.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50 what are the system minimum requirements to run this? What other hardware should I need? what software should I familiarize myself with? I have never done any mining, but plan to start once chip ships and what to be ready. I appreciate any help. The biggest ?'s  I would like answered are about any additional hardware I will need. Power supplies, minimum system requirements for the computer I am running it through? I just have a cheap dell inspiron laptop right now will this work or is there something else that I should invest in? Does internet connection speed effect mining abilities? I don't have dialup or anything, but right now I only have DSL available will this hinder me much?
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:08:38 PM

Shouldn't you have asked this questions before prepurchasing one?

If you read their thread here all questions considering Hardware requirements should be answered.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
cancerofthecancer (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:17:06 PM

who is "their" thread and where do I find it? I have a hard time finding information in forums. Do you have any pointers on how to search through them to find the right info. Its just hard to sort through "noise" and helpful information.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:21:42 PM

Here you go: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.0

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:23:02 PM

Another one lost his money...

BTCFPGA and BFL are so similar that most likely it is run by the same scamers.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
cancerofthecancer (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:25:05 PM

Thanks, Akka
cancerofthecancer (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:27:11 PM

I've read a lot of this about the ASICs being a scam, I was just wondering why you feel that way? Are they not a real company, are ASICs just a made up thing to get peoples money. What do you recommend?
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:33:55 PM

I've read a lot of this about the ASICs being a scam, I was just wondering why you feel that way? Are they not a real company, are ASICs just a made up thing to get peoples money. What do you recommend?
BFL states they are testing the produced ASICs with they own algorithm. Not Bitcoin network, no Testnet. If they have ASIC ready the increase in difficulty as a result of ASIC coming online will be clearly noticeable. But as they have no ASIC and probably not even a blueprint of them they invent such bullshit as "not testing on Testnet, testing using own algorithm".

Both BFL and BTCFPGA first sold the FPGA mining hardware that is easy to produce to gain trust. Now they are buying back and asking for preorders.

cancerofthecancer (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:44:22 PM

BFL states they are testing the produced ASICs with they own algorithm. Not Bitcoin network, no Testnet. If they have ASIC ready the increase in difficulty as a result of ASIC coming online will be clearly noticeable. But as they have no ASIC and probably not even a blueprint of them they invent such bullshit as "not testing on Testnet, testing using own algorithm".

Both BFL and BTCFPGA first sold the FPGA mining hardware that is easy to produce to gain trust. Now they are buying back and asking for preorders.

That makes sense, so in your opinion are they just using the hype of ASICs  to get the FPGA's back, and steal money from their previous and new customers. Now they will have tons of cash, and a bunch of FPGA's that they can 1. Sell back to people once everyone realizes ASICs are fake 2. use them to do their own mining

I just want to pick your brain. are ASICs a real thing that can be used for mining, if so are there any reputable sellers.
What would you recommend than, sticking with FPGA?
cancerofthecancer (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:46:41 PM

again thanks for the link. Their is a 107 pages of posts though, how would you recommend searching through it to find the valuable information.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:49:06 PM

Part of the problem is that people have the wrong perception. (But rightful so). They pre-ordered devices without a clear due date. However, that is technically not even allowed. When you offer a product for pre-order you have to have clear due dates.

Another part of the problem is that the competition is not well established yet. Thus people have a lack of alternatives. Thus there is no real penalty for BFL to push back their due dates. Same holds technically true for BTCFPGA/BITCOINASIC, however they seem to be more transparent.

We will see how things play out. Luckily there is a lot of pressure on the companies, because of the reputation damage a significant delay may cause in the long run.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:01:32 PM

That makes sense, so in your opinion are they just using the hype of ASICs  to get the FPGA's back, and steal money from their previous and new customers. Now they will have tons of cash, and a bunch of FPGA's that they can 1. Sell back to people once everyone realizes ASICs are fake 2. use them to do their own mining
Most likely they will run away with cash. Personally me are just waiting for drama to happen and I'm curious what this will do to bitcoin prices.
are ASICs a real thing that can be used for mining
ASICs are the ultimate mining devices, they are possible to build bot none have built one for now. To build ASIC you need degree in microprocessor engineering.
are there any reputable sellers
There are no reputable sellers for personal spacecraft. The items are not built.
What would you recommend than, sticking with FPGA?
Run whatever device you prefer that will bring you positive income. That will cover hardware costs and operational electricity costs in reasonable way.
We will see how things play out. Luckily there is a lot of pressure on the companies, because of the reputation damage a significant delay may cause in the long run.
We will see the drama that will follow.

bitcoinsrule

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:59:50 AM

Part of my newbie penance but I agree, I was hesitant to pull the trigger on a ASIC and now I'm glad I haven't.  Still not sure their advent would be a good thing.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 11:45:24 AM

To build ASIC you need degree in microprocessor engineering
And some millions of $ to make the masks and to invest to start producing the chips.

It's not like with FPGA where you run a program in your computer, code the bitstream, buy a fpga for 500$ and then copy-paste the bitstream in it.

To make an ASIC you must do the blueprints of the chip and then pay to produce the masks to produce the chips. Millions of $!

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:53:49 PM

To build ASIC you need degree in microprocessor engineering
And some millions of $ to make the masks and to invest to start producing the chips.

It's not like with FPGA where you run a program in your computer, code the bitstream, buy a fpga for 500$ and then copy-paste the bitstream in it.

To make an ASIC you must do the blueprints of the chip and then pay to produce the masks to produce the chips. Millions of $!
Or You could take preorders to fund the development of ASIC chips. Or even better - take preorders, pretend that ASIC chips are in development, run away with money! That is what BFL are doing right now!
Still not sure their advent would be a good thing.
It is next logical thing to do. And the best. We don't need to wait for government to build ASIC and pull DoS attack with >50% while we are mining with GPUs that are orders of magnitude slower!

Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 10:16:30 PM

You just need a computer with USB to run it. I'm not sure on the initial supported operating systems.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:21:29 PM

You just need a computer with USB to run it. I'm not sure on the initial supported operating systems.
You forget that you need the actual ASIC to run it! I have read 2 weeks ago that the rigs are available and being tested. Why there is no video of them, no actual pictures, anything! Pure scam that no fanboys and early losers are willing to acknowledge!

panda1

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:48:14 PM

I just preordered the BTCFPGA 27Gh/s bASIC NextGen Bitcoin Mine https://www.bitcoinasic.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50 what are the system minimum requirements to run this? What other hardware should I need? what software should I familiarize myself with? I have never done any mining, but plan to start once chip ships and what to be ready. I appreciate any help. The biggest ?'s  I would like answered are about any additional hardware I will need. Power supplies, minimum system requirements for the computer I am running it through? I just have a cheap dell inspiron laptop right now will this work or is there something else that I should invest in? Does internet connection speed effect mining abilities? I don't have dialup or anything, but right now I only have DSL available will this hinder me much?

I admire your testicular fortitude in ordering something you don't know how to use  Grin

Answering your original questions:

System requirements: You probably don't need anything powerful; any computer with USB 2.0 connection should do.  Your Inspiron should work fine.
You might need to research and find out what kind of power supply to get for the bASIC if it doesn't come with one.
There is no software out that supports bASIC yet; I would recommend that you learn to mine with an existing graphics card, or even play with CPU mining, just so you know how to use the existing mining software. (cgminer/bfgminer, etc.)  Read through the forums and wiki, soak up knowledge.
Having DSL is enough.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:16:44 PM

cancerofthecancer -

You can safely ignore MysteryMiner, ElectricMucus and the like... they are just butthurt over the fact that they didn't get in the pre-order for any ASIC devices, so they try to poison the waters through bitterness.  If you don't believe me, ask them to back up their ridiculous claims with any sort of proof... They won't be able to provide it (because it's all fabricated/made up) and you'll have your answer as to whether or not you should bother listening to people like that.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:37:53 AM

You can safely ignore MysteryMiner, ElectricMucus and the like... they are just butthurt over the fact that they didn't get in the pre-order for any ASIC devices, so they try to poison the waters through bitterness.
TROLLOLOLOLL am I butthurt for not losing money in scam scheme? If the ASIC are real I will probably buy the device straight away!
If you don't believe me, ask them to back up their ridiculous claims with any sort of proof...
The burden of proof is on believers side! All I can tell is that there is no proof of existence of ASIC chips but they are keeping posting bullshit and even promoting the preorders trough stupid people and contests.

Better give us:

1. Actual pictures and video of working devices.
2. Mining software source code, no matter if it is unstable or alpha.
3. Real performance data. The ASIC are ready at least 2 weeks! Why so long testing?
4. Manufacturer (the fab) of the chips and any additional data.

Then we can start to talk that the "pink elephant" aka ASIC exists!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: