Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:06:39 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I mine?  (Read 1237 times)
underminer (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:10:09 AM

I have mainly 5xxx series cards at this point.  Terracoin seems to have "blown up" on the forums recently and it certainly sounds appealing.  I plan on checking litecoin out but heat generation is still currently a problem (I still mine in "regular" pcs with cases and will for a few more weeks) and so it is on the back burner.  What currency (also miner) do you guys think I should try?  I mine on windoze for now but plan on switching to ubuntu for some machines for the alternative currencies as I am about out of windows licenses.   

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:21:30 AM

I would say try terra, although the difficulty has really hit the roof so fast, but the good thing is the difficulty adjusts much much faster then the other coins, so unless people stay on terra full time (unlikely at this point) it will drop down so you can pick up some coins too. Hopefully a reliable pool is coming soon that will make things easier as well.

Litecoin is my favorite, but it's true in that it runs hot. Bitcoin (terracoin) runs so much cooler.

more or less retired.
underminer (OP)

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:34:15 AM

It sounds appealing because I find mining interesting.  But I'll try to avoid asking questions from experienced users in the correct section from now on though-ok? 

Anyway why is hype bad?  Should we avoid talking about bitcoin due to the natural impurity we introduce to the situation by "hyping" it too?

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:52:02 AM

I have mainly 5xxx series cards at this point.  Terracoin seems to have "blown up" on the forums recently and it certainly sounds appealing.  I plan on checking litecoin out but heat generation is still currently a problem (I still mine in "regular" pcs with cases and will for a few more weeks) and so it is on the back burner.  What currency (also miner) do you guys think I should try?  I mine on windoze for now but plan on switching to ubuntu for some machines for the alternative currencies as I am about out of windows licenses.   

mine litecoin and crank down your GPU voltage, you'll be fine.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:46:23 AM

PPCoin  Cheesy

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
underminer (OP)

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:47:17 AM

Link?  Google is useless!

Liquid

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:50:09 AM

Link?  Google is useless!

No its not its the first link on google  Roll Eyes

underminer (OP)

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:10:05 AM

http://www.ppcoin.es/

No hablamo!

My mistake was searching pp coin not ppcoin.

(I didn't search pee pee coin if that is what you are thinking.) Tongue

Liquid

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 11:40:53 AM

http://www.ppcoin.org/

tatsuchan

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 02:32:22 PM

Mine Litecoins.  They've been more profitable then Bitcoins for my 5850's lately.  PPC is an iffy gamble, but go for it if you're feeling Randy.  I've been sticking to my gaming computer (one 5870) to mine PPC when I'm not using the rig.  My dedicated miner has been doing 1.5Mh on Litecoin now full time.  Just turn down the gpu clocks and max the fan.  

Don't worry about fans going.  They're cheap fixes, and they're affected just as much by heat as by use, if not more so!  If replacing gpu fans and fiddeling with math/computer setting isn't something you can do, the mining game might not be right for you.  In that case, I'd just invest cash in BTC/LTC.  I'd say a 50/50 split would be good.  If you're okay with the gamble, I think LTC could have better rewards.  I'm split 70/30 with LTC/BTC now.  PPC and NMC aren't bad to have a few dollars invested in.  I couldn't see NMC getting huge, and PPC is an infant that is underdeveloped right now, but it doesn't mean that you couldn't make a lot of money by just buying a $100 worth of both now for a longer term investment.
bushstar

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:01:07 PM

I'd say Litecoin. I like PPCoin but I'd get more PPCoin by mining Litecoin to buy Bitcoin to buy PPCoin  Roll Eyes

I've mined a few Terracoin just for fun but it seems to be a carbon copy of Bitcoin without really adding anything new other than changing some basic behaviour. Terracoin right now seems very susceptible to a 51% attack and may well not be round for long. Hopefully I'm wrong on this and Terracoin can weather a 51% attack in which case I'm interested.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: