Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:53:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Downgrade BTC client  (Read 1296 times)
tvasconcelos (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:36:42 AM

Hey guys, can anyone help me with a linux noob issue ? I need to downgrade the bitcoin client in ubuntu. I installed the latest client, but i need to downgrade to 0.6.3. How can i do this? I allready downloaded the tar but don't know how to "install it".
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 04:08:10 PM

First you must prepare the blockchain database so that it will be useable by an older version of bitcoin. Start the current bitcoind or bitcoin-qt with the command line bitcoin-qt -detachdb. After it starts up, close it (close bitcoind with the RPC command bitcoind stop true), which will take a few minutes of disk-writing behind the scenes to close the databases. After you have verified it is closed (you can check jobs with top) Then ensure you have a backup of the ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat somewhere else (like a usb drive).

You can then uninstall the old version using the package management you used to install it (or just remove the file if you downloaded the executable), and use the new version.
tvasconcelos (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:27:40 PM

Hi, i don't have nothing on the wallet, yet, i'm just trying out ecoinpool, to try and get a pool running to test for a private pooling solution. Aparently only 0.6.3, works with ecoinpool. My problem is that i can´t import  backed up blk*.dat files because the client gives me an error about blkindex.dat and i'm not being able to download the block chain. On top of that i'm trying to downgrade the client, wich i managed to, i think, figure out.
I'm o VM, now i can't point a miner to the pool to see if it works... I'm looking for some dyndns service for free that actually works...

Only problems!!! Well, thanks for you info.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 07:04:47 PM

Hi, i don't have nothing on the wallet, yet, i'm just trying out ecoinpool, to try and get a pool running to test for a private pooling solution. Aparently only 0.6.3, works with ecoinpool. My problem is that i can´t import  backed up blk*.dat files because the client gives me an error about blkindex.dat and i'm not being able to download the block chain. On top of that i'm trying to downgrade the client, wich i managed to, i think, figure out.
I'm o VM, now i can't point a miner to the pool to see if it works... I'm looking for some dyndns service for free that actually works...

Only problems!!! Well, thanks for you info.

If you don't need the current wallet and are just going to download the blockchain again, delete the entire .bitcoin directory, and install the version you want!
tvasconcelos (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:40:55 PM

What i was trying was to avoid to have to download the entire blockchain again... but thanks. i'll try delete it, and replace the blk*.dat files i have backed up from my hot and updated wallet.
tvasconcelos (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 05:16:32 PM

Hi, can't get by this. If someone could give me a simple step by step to do this i'd be very happy.

I have the bitcoin*.tar.gz, i've uncompressed it, i'm able to run the program by going on /bitcoin/bin/32/ run bitcoind ou -qt... But i need to compile, build, whatever is the name so that i can get ecoinpool to run i think.

Question, how can i compile, or build or install the tar.gz file i have ? I have release 0.6.3, because ecoinpool needs this release...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: