Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 01:45:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: THE FUTURE - A Blockchain for Everyone  (Read 807 times)
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1003

Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 11:58:12 PM

THE FUTURE - A Blockchain for Everyone

The number of coins in existence (and also the number that have ever existed) has got me thinking and speculating about blockchains. Recently I've been speculating on the possibility of a blockchain (or even blockchains) for everyone, for personal use. I've been wondering if the blockchain could evolve to become something like an email address, but an email address with a magnitude of difference. So, in effect, people could have personal blockchain addresses. Not an address (or series of addresses) on a blockchain, but entire personal blockchains with their own public addresses.

The blockchain could then be used to store all personal data e.g documents, pics, music, bookmarks, letters, medical history, search results etc. Compression technology could be used to reduce the size of items stored on the blockchain. Though blockchains can bloat, the size of a personal blockchain would be nothing compared to other items we store for personal use. Forget hard disks or cloud drives, blockdrives will be global, personal, anonymous, secure, and shareable, simultaneously. Every item will be bookmarked and indexed with an associated block number and stored in the blockchain's own local sidechain.

No-one need run their own wallet or even think about how to keep their blockchains sync'd, in the same way that people don't run their own mailservers, or worry about whether their email address(es) will be sync'd. If it's profitable to host blockchains (in the same way it's profitable to host email accounts) then services will spring up to accommodate these new personal blockchains.

Merchants, advertisers, and other services will all have to operate sidechains and fight for our business (i.e the blockchain owners decide if a sidechain has access to their blockchain, or blockchains). Of course, the other services will also run their own blockchains, once again, in the same way that all organizations also have their own email addresses.

So, what happens to the personal currencies on all these personal blockchains? Who knows? Maybe employers will buy them off individuals rather than paying in return for labour. Maybe employers/services will operate sidechains that pump value into personal blockchains (somehow). Maybe personal blockchains start with a zero sum and owners have to tout existing sidechain holders for currency/value (e.g employers/friends/family/services). And then a mass of profitable background crypto exchanges arise, facilitating the free flow of all these different personal currencies around the globe, finally offering an instantaneous global currency service that knows no boundary.

By that time, of course, we've colonized Mars and my personal butler is a wookie.

Just a thought...
 Smiley

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 01:19:33 AM

Its only a matter of time.
Everyone already has a blockchain, its called a CV.
In times to come the blockchain defines your worth, its your personal money.
Andrelvogue

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 08:47:32 AM

Nice though tho, thank you for this. Cheesy
maincoin

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 01:08:23 PM

Yes, someday this could happen  Smiley
BitHappy24

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:01:46 AM

it will probably take a really long time before this actually happens, but yes it's possible
anthonycamp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:04:59 AM

well the blocks are world wide and blockchain its world wide but personal i dont know hen you do a wallet the chain its putted into your wallet but its pubbilc and the confirm blocks too a personal blockchain could be end of anonimasy.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 01:27:05 PM

Oh yeah, this is a possibility. I think the personal chain will be used by governments to track and control you. With it they will have every bit of information about you. All of your ID, where you work and have worked. Every dime you ever made and spent and where that happened. Every traffic ticket, fine, criminal charge. Everything will be on this chain, it will also be a requirement to work and be a citizen. People who don't have one will not be able to buy anything including food.. Sounds familiar huh? Mark of the beast..
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 06:15:58 PM

Oh yeah, this is a possibility. I think the personal chain will be used by governments to track and control you. With it they will have every bit of information about you. All of your ID, where you work and have worked. Every dime you ever made and spent and where that happened. Every traffic ticket, fine, criminal charge. Everything will be on this chain, it will also be a requirement to work and be a citizen. People who don't have one will not be able to buy anything including food.. Sounds familiar huh? Mark of the beast..

It does sound familiar. Sounds like computer networks and FIAT the way you've put it. Everything you've listed is happening already.

MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 06:34:58 PM

It does sound familiar. Sounds like computer networks and FIAT the way you've put it. Everything you've listed is happening already.

The only problem they have is that their systems are not connected. The police still need to check your insurance slip and check your license renewal sticker. Other systems are even more disconnected. Plus we still have cash, an anonymous form of payment.  With the personal block chain everything you have ever done will be available to any agency, in any country, where ever you go. Because it will be carried by you, in your body on a microchip with bluetooth 7.0 that broadcasts at a 500ft range.. or something of that sort.

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 06:49:12 PM

The only problem they have is that their systems are not connected. The police still need to check your insurance slip and check your license renewal sticker. Other systems are even more disconnected. Plus we still have cash, an anonymous form of payment.  With the personal block chain everything you have ever done will be available to any agency, in any country, where ever you go. Because it will be carried by you, in your body on a microchip with bluetooth 7.0 that broadcasts at a 500ft range.. or something of that sort.

Nice extrapolation!  Cheesy

I was thinking more about it being on a device rather than being part of the human body! I don't ever see a robosapien future. Some people will only ever use tech for what it can do for them rather than giving their body and soul over to it.

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 11:26:17 PM

So what you're proposing is that for most individual blockchains (which carry little value) the person would have to pay someone to mine it for them and secure it.  This would be the fee they would pay to the miners.  The business would be in mining people for money, and the more important you are and likely to be attacked (digitally) the more you'll have to pay to secure your ledger. 

BUT, if you become especially well known or renowned, your blockchain may start to carry *positive* value and miners would begin mining "Taylor Swift Coin" just because they know others will pay actual money for the shares. 

In this way, computer miners would begin speculating on the destinies of actual humans the same way that sports teams scout players.  You would know when you were succeeding in life because your "currency" would go up in value.  If you needed a loan or some quick money for a business endeavor you would be allowed to sell your personal tokens on the open market (but this would be a one time shot, so ideally some legal restrictions would stagger how much you could sell when).  In this way, if you get famous, you also get rich because you are inherently sitting on a pile of your own "stock".

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 01:28:23 AM

So what you're proposing is that for most individual blockchains (which carry little value) the person would have to pay someone to mine it for them and secure it.  This would be the fee they would pay to the miners.  The business would be in mining people for money, and the more important you are and likely to be attacked (digitally) the more you'll have to pay to secure your ledger.  

BUT, if you become especially well known or renowned, your blockchain may start to carry *positive* value and miners would begin mining "Taylor Swift Coin" just because they know others will pay actual money for the shares.  

In this way, computer miners would begin speculating on the destinies of actual humans the same way that sports teams scout players.  You would know when you were succeeding in life because your "currency" would go up in value.  If you needed a loan or some quick money for a business endeavor you would be allowed to sell your personal tokens on the open market (but this would be a one time shot, so ideally some legal restrictions would stagger how much you could sell when).  In this way, if you get famous, you also get rich because you are inherently sitting on a pile of your own "stock".

Hmmm... Not really what I was thinking of. Who do you pay for your email addresses? Who mines PoS coins? I can see your point (sort of) in the personal stock value (in the same way that lots of twitter followers is deemed to make a twitter account 'valuable'), but I'm thinking more of personal and private blockchains, more akin to email addresses.

In the same way that a username/password combination is used to secure email addresses, a cryptographic key of some sort (make it quantum!) is used to secure the privacy of your blockchain. You, the blockchain owner, can grant or revoke access to it. It's not an open ledger. It's your personal private blockchain.

Want to see my CV? Show me a QR code and I'll send you the latest copy that's stored on my blockchain. My choice. You do not have free access to it. Something like that.

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 02:45:16 AM

This is quite an abstract idea but I see it can work. Everyone has his own sidechain tied to the bitcoin blockchain. Any time stamping could be done on your own chain to prove sometime happened on a date and time, we can store information on our own sidechain and it can only be accessible by the public when you give a them a private key of an address. They can update it but can never change the old data.

It's interesting and this could work. But why do this in a decentralised manner and who will help secure/store everyone's chain?
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 03:59:28 AM

In the same way that a username/password combination is used to secure email addresses, a cryptographic key of some sort (make it quantum!) is used to secure the privacy of your blockchain. You, the blockchain owner, can grant or revoke access to it. It's not an open ledger. It's your personal private blockchain.

Want to see my CV? Show me a QR code and I'll send you the latest copy that's stored on my blockchain. My choice. You do not have free access to it. Something like that.

Using cryptographic ring signatures this is now possible.  The first private blockchains with permissioned access already exist through the Cryptonote protocol.  Check it out sometime; your idea would have to use it (or something better, which doesn't exist yet). 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 01:59:59 PM

Nice, good food for thought. Just like Andreas saying there will be alt-coins or sidecoins for every 7 billion human some day, this is an interesting thought.

MrsHash

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 09:21:42 PM

Everything is possible, but not in the near future I think
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 12:18:41 AM

A blockchain for everyone. Or maybe a sidechain for everyone (sidechains will probably make currency integration easier). I do think that at some point in the near future a breakthru will see blockchains (or cryptos) suddenly go through a period of massive investment and development. The altcoin scene is a bit of a tomb right now, but I don't think it will remain that way forever. Who knows, bitcoin has started moving. Ir might be soon.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: