Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:41:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Bitcoin.org claiming to be the official site of Bitcoin?  (Read 1780 times)
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:41:29 PM

That is the main website  Huh i think thats why.
There is no "the main website".

Besides, whose website would that be, anyway? Bitcoin is a protocol. Not a person, or organization, or company, or authority, or server, or institute, or any entity whatsoever that would represent themselves on the internet.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:15:03 PM

They develop it, but they are not controlling your coins.
They develop A Bitcoin client, not THE Bitcoin client.

I don't think it's very healthy for the decentralized, free, independent, and open reputation of Bitcoin to present Bitcoin-Qt as "THE" client (or even "the standard client"). The protocol is what's standard, not some particular client implementation (regardless if was the first around, or has the most users).

Also, bitcoin.org is just one of many random websites related to Bitcoin. Not "the official Bitcoin site".

I think Bitcoin-Qt is "the" & "standard" client TBH because if you read bitcoin somewhere, you first go to bitcoin.org unless your directly linked elsewhere.
Then Bitcoin-Qt will be the first thing you install, later on something like armory when you learn about it. I'm not familiar with all the clients, but armory needs Bitcoin-Qt to operate the fact they choose to use Bitcoin-Qt as their host, points to the direction Bitcoin-Qt is the standard app.

The first site I found was WeUseCoins actually. Then I found Mt. Gox, then Bitcoin.org. Then after that I found blockchain.info, and it was kind of dominoes from then on out. (Damn, now I want Pizza. Papa John's, Domino's sucks around me Tongue [Free pizza's will be graciously received])

Yeah, your high.  Grin

Never had weed before Tongue Even though I've perused SR before Tongue Maybe because I never browse it when I have money Grin

Well, that's the way weed works. One minute you’re talking about the blockchain and somehow it reminds you that you really need a pizza. LOL

Well, on a completely unrelated thread, today's the first day I've left my bed since the weekend. (Thank you flu) Back on topic, yes it is a protocol, not a program.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: