Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:27:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hackers steal Kim Dotcom's me.ga-domain and asks for Bitcoin!  (Read 2911 times)
Dansker (OP)

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:08:05 PM

http://torrentfreak.com/me-ga-hackers-were-real-pirates-well-sell-dotcoms-domain-to-universal-121107/

See the 4th last line from the bottom!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:31:48 PM

Interesting.  Roll Eyes

I can't decide if this is good or bad for Bitcoin because on one hand he is definitely getting introduced to the power of Bitcoin but on the other hand this power is used to oppress him, something I am strictly opposed and I also think he can't like it all too much, which might make him hate Bitcoin.

Heh.. hackers, as per usual, pissing against the wind I guess.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:33:59 PM

Unfortunate. Kim Dotcom is a megalomaniac, but I thought he might be able to do some good things with me.ga.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:55:29 PM

Unfortunate. Kim Dotcom is a megalomaniac, but I thought he might be able to do some good things with me.ga.

Yeah, for himself.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:57:07 PM

Yeah, for himself.

And the people lining up to purchase his services would have no benefit, huh?  Roll Eyes

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

waspoza

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:04:03 PM

Yeah, for himself.

And the people lining up to purchase his services would have no benefit, huh?  Roll Eyes

Im just sayin he's not Mother Theresa as some see him.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:07:25 PM

Yeah, for himself.

Profits are bad, mmmkay?
waspoza

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:14:03 PM

Yeah, for himself.

Profits are bad, mmmkay?

Profits are good, but saying that "he might be able to do some good things with me.ga" is naive. Hes doing it for money, not to do good things. He's not Mother Theresa.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:18:50 PM

Yeah, for himself.

Profits are bad, mmmkay?

Profits are good, but saying that "he might be able to do some good things with me.ga" is naive. Hes doing it for money, not to do good things. He's not Mother Theresa.

I rather think he is doing it for both, otherwise why would people pay him money when they're not forced to?

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:21:38 PM

Mother Theresa was an evil, sadistic opportunist.

If Dotcom is merely a greedy meglomaniac he's already better than her.
waspoza

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:24:17 PM

Yeah, for himself.

Profits are bad, mmmkay?

I rather think he is doing it for both, otherwise why would people pay him money when they're not forced to?

Naturally, it must have some benefits for customers, otherwise would be no profit for him. Smiley
waspoza

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:25:56 PM

Mother Theresa was an evil, sadistic opportunist.

If Dotcom is merely a greedy meglomaniac he's already better than her.

Allright, you can take it as figure of speech. Put in her place Dalai Lama, Mahatma Ghandi or whoever u want. Smiley
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:55:28 PM

Kim may be an opportunistic megalomaniac, but a clever one in that. This little prank at most serves as PR stunt against him, but since those hackers dont own the me.ga domain, they cannot legally sell it. The communications minister of Gabon and the company managing .ga domains (since owned by vivendi) already promised to prevent his new service from using their .ga domains. So he would move to some other TLD anyway.
If it proves anything, then that bitcoins cannot be withheld or monitored by any international company or government and for that reason can be used to facilitate transactions of any kind for any purpose, just what Kim Dotcom wants.
It should serve as precedence of bitcoin's suitability rather then counter argument to use it.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 06:15:24 PM

So all I need to do these days to become the Hacker is register a domain name? Do I understand it correctly? Smiley
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 08:36:03 PM

So all I need to do these days to become the Hacker is register a domain name? Do I understand it correctly? Smiley

You also have to incorporate 1337 into something.

You have failed at your first hacker attempt.

Unlike me who is 1337.

see how it is done?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
sinner

Activity: 615

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:36:01 PM

can somebody explain what hackers have against Dotcom?

yeah, hes trying to profit off artists, but by making their music legally free

i always saw Dotcom as a 400 pound pirate who provided free online storage.. lemme know what im missing
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 10:39:53 PM

can somebody explain what hackers have against Dotcom?

yeah, hes trying to profit off artists, but by making their music legally free

i always saw Dotcom as a 400 pound pirate who provided free online storage.. lemme know what im missing

They are hitting those who they believe would understand the steps to go ahead and get a large amount of BTC.

They went after Bit-Pay and BitInstant. They will go after you if you advertise having a lot of BTC.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 03:21:29 AM

Errrr... just three weeks before MegaUpload was shut down, Dotcom announced the development of a revolutionary music download system called Megabox which would allow artists to keep a large majority of their profits and not pay huge royalties to record companies.

What the hell is Megabox right? Good question. It was set to be a digital music store that was going to be entirely cloud based (don’t really know what that means but it sounds technical and cool) and would offer the artist a better deal than any other similar DIY distribution store or record deal. Even a MAJOR label deal, as Megabox was looking to pay the artist up to 90% of their earnings. To put this in context with other record deals  - and critically how much the labels and suits would be losing if Megabox got off the blocks – a typical record label would give the artist around 5% of the profits if they were lucky. That’s A LOT of potential lost revenue if Megabox got set up.

On top of this, Megabox also sought to pay the artist for any music that was downloaded for free. Kim ‘Dotcom’ Schmitz explains: ‘We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free. Yes that’s right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works.’

So essentially, assuming all this was true, Megabox could have put all record labels out of business. They already apparently had several deals with big (unnamed) name artists ready to announce over 2012 because many of these artists were ‘fed up with outdated business models’ that they felt exploited their talent.

R.I.P. Megaupload: The Truth

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Morblias

Activity: 576

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:44:18 PM

*puts on my tinfoil hat

The US Government paid these hackers to take down me.ga  Shocked

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary