Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:19:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: am i the only bitcoin user that has never seen silk road?  (Read 3090 times)
Lurk (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:55:18 PM

I know you need to use tor browser and im sure i could figure out how to get there if i really tried.

Just curious, is it all basically drugs and illegal things or is it a marketplace where you can find other stuff.

If I'm not looking to purchase drugs or illegal items is there any reason for me to see what this site is all about?
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:00:34 PM

Not only drugs. There is also a legitimate computer equipment and electronics like video cards and cables or flashlights. But use different SR username and shipping address if you are going to buy legal item. They might be cops trying to harvest user shipping addresses and other information.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 07:01:21 PM

It's not just drugs, but I think most things are illegal in many countries (at least somewhere in the world)

I never bought anything from SR, but I registered an account a year ago to see what's happening there.

Quote from: MysteryMiner
Not only drugs. There is also a legitimate computer equipment and electronics like video cards and cables or flashlights. But use different SR username and shipping address if you are going to buy legal item. They might be cops trying to harvest user shipping addresses and other information.

Maybe… some SR users are even talking about it using their real names on the clearnet…

Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 07:03:17 PM

It is mostly drugs and other small items.

Used to have weapons as well until recently.

Really nothing much to look at in there, but it is a necessary experience to see what SR is like.

If you are going to buy a legal item from SR, can't see why cops might want to harvest your address.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:08:39 PM

I think most things are illegal in many countries (at least somewhere in the world)
It is absolutely true. In USSR in some point of history it was illegal to privately own typewriter or handgun. Typewriters are legal in USA as well as most handguns and rifles, but the same guns in most of Europe will get you many years in prison. The cocaine and heroine was legal to own and use in most parts of world in early 20-th century. Now the same bottle with the same substance will ruin your and your families life! And not by addiction but by cops and lawyers! The "legal or forbidden item" game is invented for retarded children to play. Real man get what they want!

Lurk (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:08:52 PM

so how do you order things if you cant have them delivered to your house?  I'm just kind of curious about the whole thing.
     If its not an illegal item why would it matter if the feds had my address.

also, is it wise to give drug dealers and probably gangsters your address?  especially if you make a large purchase. They could realize you have a decent amount of money and come track you down.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 07:09:00 PM

Nope. Ive been to the torweb also and found nothing of interest, never even bothered checking out silk-road.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 07:16:03 PM

so how do you order things if you cant have them delivered to your house?  I'm just kind of curious about the whole thing.

also, is it wise to give drug dealers and probably gangsters your address?  especially if you make a large purchase. They could realize you have a decent amount of money and come track you down.

From other user accounts: they pass on the address of an abandoned house in their neigbourhood.

Some also have their parcels sent to a PO Box.

But the bottom line is that anyone can order any item to your address, does not necessarily have to be you.

That is where the law cannot do much because they cannot prove that you have ordered the item that was delivered at your house.

vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:18:02 PM

Never been at the S R

Anything that requires hiding your tracks must have something ilegal about it.

Transparency is the only way to go
Lurk (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:20:30 PM

hmm interesting......well if the media says silk road is basically the only reason bitcoin has value   I should probably at least look at it.

downloading tor now....if anyone wants to save me some time can you p.m. me how to actually get there?
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:21:22 PM

Maybe… some SR users are even talking about it using their real names on the clearnet…
I'm not using Silk Road officer Piglet, I invented my post from rumors I have read on clearnet.
If you are going to buy a legal item from SR, can't see why cops might want to harvest your address.
Probably to catch the lowest hanging fruit? I dont know about legal consequences for cops to sell real drugs but selling legal items is legal for them. Information gathering. Maybe some high profile member buys some mining equipment from them so they can catch him.
so how do you order things if you cant have them delivered to your house?
Please read the Silk Road wiki. It have covered almost everything from ordering to receiving item.
You might want buy something illegal later using the same user name. The less they know the better.
If you are going to buy any amount of drugs it is good idea to have so called "drop" that is unrelated address to you. And no, the drug dealers will not come to your address if they are not cops or informants. They don't know if you have money, drugs or anything valuable to that address. They don't even know if you are not a cop with swat team waiting them in that address. Or maybe large gang of other dealers that will goatse them.

Lurk (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:24:13 PM

thanks mystery..cleared quite a bit up
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 07:25:51 PM

hmm interesting......well if the media says silk road is basically the only reason bitcoin has value   I should probably at least look at it.

downloading tor now....if anyone wants to save me some time can you p.m. me how to actually get there?

PM'd.

All the best Smiley

MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:28:05 PM

Practicing hiding your tracks from increasingly oppressive government is illegal? If You have nothing to hide can you please stream live webcam feed from your bedroom and toilet?

Having privacy and means to deprive Big Brother from possibilities to blackmail you is not indication of crime.

SaintDevil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:29:01 PM

I was there once, everyone was like oh it's illegal place and you should not go there.
Found lots of regular stuff for sale too like electronics.
Oh and they had this special homemade cookies.. Roll Eyes

But that's where most people who doesn't understand what bitcoins are coming from saying that bitcoins is something illegal.

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:37:33 PM

Bitcoin technology is a new weapon in arms race that have given us years and years of lead versus oppressors. The Silk Road is only a demo what is possible with technology when the flow of money cannot be controlled or traced by government or anyone else except the two persons involved in transaction. The AML have failed to stop such things to happen, it only is used for Big Brother to know how much money You have and what taste of anal lubricant You buy. This AML nightmare will not stop financing Wikileaks, Al-Qaeda, Santa Claus or anyone else that is not favored by government! I can make a donation to Hezbollah within seconds with few mouse clicks and with total anonymity. With my Credit Card I can only buy kosher-enabled food at local supermarket and pay card processing fees.

Lurk (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:40:00 PM

i cant even get tor to work..it loads but times out....ahh well  maybe another time....curiosity killed the cat....and i dont know how many lives i have left.
SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:47:36 PM

Bitcoin technology is a new weapon in arms race that have given us years and years of lead versus oppressors. The Silk Road is only a demo what is possible with technology when the flow of money cannot be controlled or traced by government or anyone else except the two persons involved in transaction. The AML have failed to stop such things to happen, it only is used for Big Brother to know how much money You have and what taste of anal lubricant You buy. This AML nightmare will not stop financing Wikileaks, Al-Qaeda, Santa Claus or anyone else that is not favored by government! I can make a donation to Hezbollah within seconds with few mouse clicks and with total anonymity. With my Credit Card I can only buy kosher-enabled food at local supermarket and pay card processing fees.

That would be pretty similar to cash. Except electronic cash.
I agree on the fact that we got all this credit cards and big companies managing it and tracking everything you do. I came from a small city in russia and had a hard time adjusting to use plastic because I have never seen anything like that.
And now switching back to the old methods.  Cheesy

i cant even get tor to work..it loads but times out....ahh well  maybe another time....curiosity killed the cat....and i dont know how many lives i have left.
What problem do you have with it?

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Lurk (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:51:17 PM

i click on it to start....the little box come up... and when the browser appears it says its trying to load the tor project page  but just times out....my my firewall is blocking it?  I'll see what i can do
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 08:01:33 PM

Are you facing this problem with Vidalia?

MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:04:54 PM

That would be pretty similar to cash. Except electronic cash.
Cash can be marked by cops. Cash can be counterfeited by criminals. Cash can be inflated by government. Cash can be declared obsolete by government. Cash cannot be sent in seconds across globe.

Bitcoin have solved all these problems that cash have.
I agree on the fact that we got all this credit cards and big companies managing it and tracking everything you do
They monitor and store forever every purchase but they fail all the time to prevent credit card fraud. With credit cards almost no security is gained at a cost of total loss of privacy. Dumb asses who use credit cards every day instead of cash deserve to lose both privacy and security!

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 08:13:13 PM

Never been to the website, but my nephew downloads music and videos from Tor daily. The closest I've been to the real Silk Road was when I visited Calcutta, India.

~Bruno K~
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:39:08 PM

I have been there, but never bought anything. I assume most bitcoin peers have never bought anything from SR.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

In USSR you must denounce the book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gulag_Archipelago by saying: "I have not read the forbidden book but I already know that it is full of wrong shit!" Saying that You have merely read the book You will get in all kinds of trouble with KGB and Communist party.

In western world You must say this
I have been there, but never bought anything. I assume most bitcoin peers have never bought anything from SR.
to avoid the same consequences!

Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 08:55:15 PM

Lol.

Not reporting a crime is a illegal in quite a few countries as well, so should we add, "went there accidentally and did not buy or see anything."

And for the record "went there accidentally and did not buy or see anything."  Grin

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:00:37 PM

In western world You must say this
to avoid the same consequences!
Would it help if I added that I have smoked my weight in weed? I am not "copping out", my statement is true. But I know what you mean. Remember when Bill Clinton said he smoked it, but did not inhale? Now that is a ridiculous thing to say.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:31:05 PM

Lol.

Not reporting a crime is a illegal in quite a few countries as well, so should we add, "went there accidentally and did not buy or see anything."
Maybe we all should go to SR and flood police with tens of thousands of reports every day and request proper written answer from police about progress of crime investigation? This will be real world DDoS against the pigs.
Remember when Bill Clinton said he smoked it, but did not inhale? Now that is a ridiculous thing to say.
Lol it is like oral sex is not sex. Monica did not take it in pussy. And Bill himself did not swallow when sucking the man behind curtain!

It is like kids trying first time to smoke Cheesy

Arto
Donator

Activity: 213

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:02:01 PM

From other user accounts: they pass on the address of an abandoned house in their neigbourhood.

Some also have their parcels sent to a PO Box.

But the bottom line is that anyone can order any item to your address, does not necessarily have to be you.

That is where the law cannot do much because they cannot prove that you have ordered the item that was delivered at your house.

Indeed, it will be entertaining to see the ruckus that ensues once somebody 'donates' to a prominent politician or another by ordering some cocaine powder delivered to them in the mail, while simultaneously leaking the politician's purported cocaine habit to the press.

helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 11:51:29 PM

Having privacy and means to deprive Big Brother from possibilities to blackmail you is not indication of crime.

+1 however that's not how Big Brother sees it, especially when it comes to things like financial privacy. You can't explain where you got $1,000,000 from? Oh, you must have got it illegally then!
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 11:58:33 PM

+1 however that's not how Big Brother sees it, especially when it comes to things like financial privacy. You can't explain where you got $1,000,000 from? Oh, you must have got it illegally then!
They are starting to search from wrong end! They must look from where money are missing to discover a crime! I can find the $1,000,000 while walking in the hills. I have already found 5$ and 10$ banknotes in such way!

SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:04:53 AM

And then they will tax you on it.
I was reading about law and I cannot believe they tax stolen goods too. It sounds so silly.

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:31:02 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2012, 07:41:59 PM by Korbman

Reading about the Silk Road from a Wired article was actually how I first got into Bitcoin back in April / May 2011. I've been on the site a number of times out of curiosity, and never actually purchasing anything. I thought the concept was pretty cool, even though it the products were quite illegal.

caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 01:47:37 AM

Reading about the Silk Road from a Wired article was actually how I first got into Bitcoin back in April / May 2011. I've been on the site a number of times out of curiosity, and never actually purchasing anything. I thought the concept was pretty cool, even though it was quite illegal.

The concept is not illegal, nor are all the items on it. It's simply the things that are barred by specific governments that get you in trouble.

AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 01:49:40 AM

I ordered some hash to my house a while ago.... It got intercepted at customs... They kept it... I called and said it was chocolate but they wouldn't believe me.....

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:13:33 AM

I ordered some hash to my house a while ago.... It got intercepted at customs... They kept it... I called and said it was chocolate but they wouldn't believe me.....

I don't suppose calling them brownies would help either.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:14:58 AM

Epic Fail! You should not have called them, let alone say it is chocolate in the same time they are doing expertise that shows that it is high quality hashish! And by telling this You show that You already know what is being sent. The seller did his job horribly wrong. Bad that You did not see how improperly he packaged the package that it got intercepted.
The concept is not illegal, nor are all the items on it. It's simply the things that are barred by specific governments that get you in trouble.
Idea of running e-shop without any cooperation with law enforcement is illegal. eBay will do a Goatse when asked by any pig. Take listings offline, restrict items, collect personal information and hand over to pigs etc. They also pay taxes and keep funding the evil US government.

caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:30:40 AM

Idea of running e-shop without any cooperation with law enforcement is illegal. eBay will do a Goatse when asked by any pig. Take listings offline, restrict items, collect personal information and hand over to pigs etc. They also pay taxes and keep funding the evil US government.

Very true. But technically, it's not an e-shop, it's a trading marketplace, since Bitcoin isn't recognized by the US as a currency, so it's technically not taxable.

AndrewBUD

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 02:44:09 AM

Epic Fail! You should not have called them, let alone say it is chocolate in the same time they are doing expertise that shows that it is high quality hashish! And by telling this You show that You already know what is being sent. The seller did his job horribly wrong. Bad that You did not see how improperly he packaged the package that it got intercepted.

LOL... I was just kidding man.... I did have a HQ of hash intercepted but I left it at that.... never used that address again....

HAHAHHAA I would be an EPIC retard if I called and asked for my Chocolate chunk back Cheesy

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

trading

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:11:26 AM

But technically, it's not an e-shop, it's a trading marketplace,
Being owner of a safehouse where enemy spies are meeting and providing them with all necessary makes the owner of that house just as guilty. The law is not so important to them who are at power. The controlfags will do anything to ruin SR and DPR's life.

jl2035

Activity: 146

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 01:07:52 PM

Long life SR!

JOIN Bitbiz bitbiz.io
AndrewBUD

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 01:37:20 PM

Yeah I like SR sometimes.... good hash is my fav.....

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

trading

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 06:05:38 PM

I didn't see a crime. I only saw pictures of things which are illegal - should I also call the police when I see drugs on TV now?

Quote from: vite
Never been at the S R

If you have nothing to hide you should run around naked!

I'm already doing that

MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 07:10:44 PM

I'm already doing that
"Nothing to hide" sheeps also should start practicing Goatse because government want to see everything and control everything and then ensalve.

AndrewBUD

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 01:20:54 PM

I'm already doing that
"Nothing to hide" sheeps also should start practicing Goatse because government want to see everything and control everything and then ensalve.

They already do.....

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

trading

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 02:55:31 PM

This. Is. So. Wrong.

This is hypotetically, but here goes:

A man is quite the avid viewer of adult porn. He likes especially to see petite women in action. He has quite the local collection of such women on his computers, and he frequents a lot of such websites. HOWEVER, he's NOT a pedophile. He's not into underage women, he just likes them petite.

So, one day, because a co-worker just hates this guy, he puts a box with usb-sticks with child porn in this mans garage, he then makes a call to the police. The police finds the child porn, then proceed to search the mans house, they also get permission from his local ISP and google to find out everything about his web surfing habbits.

Would his posession of said movies and/or search history strengthen his case?
What if he did not keep any local copies, but cleared his internet cache every time he'd watched those sites, but the law enforcement were still able to find his history through his ISP and google.

The man who had a hobby that was not illegal would then possibly be in deep shit. On the contrary, if he just visited disneyland.com, whitehouse.gov and so on, that would not have been to his disadvantage.

This is an extreme situation, but point being that collecting and storing information about surfring habbits and online behaviour could be saved for ages, and it could be used in the future to hurt you. Imagine political candidates digging up dirt about their opponents using employees at ISPs and google.

Some people do things online that they're not wanting the public to know about. This doesn't mean they're criminals by any means.

Would you feel confident about being spied on everywhere? You already are to a certain extent. Credit card purchases are registered, your phone tells where you are, cameras film you many places where you go. But all of this happens 'silently'. If someone followed you around with a camera, I don't think you'd be too happy about it. Or if everytime you drag your card, a big red alarm goes off screaming 'privacy violation'!

Personally I enjoy very much being able to walk wherever I want without anyone knowing about my whereabouts, and I wouldn't mind surf without anyone knowing about which sites I visit.

The fact that I enjoy privacy, doesn't mean that I am a criminal or up to no good.

You won't find much if any pictures of me online, and you won't find much if any personal details about me online, if you look up my phone number, you will not find my resident address. I'm very much a geek though, and I like to play with technology, but I want my privacy, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Ghostofkobra

Activity: 164

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 03:41:17 PM

To answer the op's question,

Never seen
Never tried to see
Never been interested in

SR

jl2035

Activity: 146

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:08:10 AM

Quote from: vite
Never been at the S R

Yes for the governments but a big NO for the individual. Your post is telling that you don't really know much about IT security and a Big Brother in general..

JOIN Bitbiz bitbiz.io
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: