Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 11:22:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USD inflation affect on BTC?  (Read 6869 times)
bitboyben (OP)

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:07:37 PM

So if the US economy has to print more $$$ to deal with this fiscal cliff I've been reading about in the news will the inflation of the USD cause an increase in BTC price? Or are BTCs relatively pegged to USD?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 09:11:11 PM

lol

i think for ever point the USD goes down bitcoin gains 2 points  Wink

it should be noted that the USD is still holding up pretty damn good despite QE3

notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:24:20 PM

lol

it should be noted that the USD is still holding up pretty damn good despite QE3

Indeed.  DXY is above 80 and climbing.  Dollar supply may be inflating, but nominal value (measured in other currencies) is gaining because everyone else is inflating their money supply too.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 09:27:11 PM

lol

Indeed.  DXY is above 80 and climbing.  Dollar supply may be inflating, but nominal value (measured in other currencies) is gaining because everyone else is inflating their money supply too.

that's why!
i just look at CAD/USD....
and it looked like the USD was recovering, but your saying CAD is being inflated as well  Angry

thanks.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:31:19 AM

lol

DXY is based on other fiat. Horrible indicator as far as strength of a medium of exchange when all central banks are printing to infinity.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:37:01 AM

lol

DXY is based on other fiat. Horrible indicator as far as strength of a medium of exchange when all central banks are printing to infinity.

I agree, but it does indicate relative strength of various fiat currencies, which was the topic we were discussing.  As always, thanks for your contribution smoothie Wink.

obisunk

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:39:18 AM

Holding everything else equal, inflation in traditional currencies should directly increase the value of BTC.  A secondary effect of increased BTC demand will also lead to a more favorable exchange rate from BTC to traditional currencies.  That is, if more people who perceive that bitcoins  retain value better want in on the action, then they will compete with each other to get BTC, which drives up the exchange premium.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:58:35 PM

lol

exactly. the fiat currencies of the west are fighting each other on a sinking ship.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:33:36 PM

My extremely amateur short term forecast for BTC is UP.
This is based slightly on the topic at hand, but also on the 8/18 EMAs crossing on the 12-hour chart (whatever THAT means)

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:44:05 PM

lol

If US inflates 5% and the EU central bank inflates 5% then everything else being equal the exchange rate shouldn't change.
If the US hyperinflates 50% and the EU central bank hyperinflates 50% then everything else being equal the exchange rate shouldn't change.

However you can't (at least yet) hyperinflate the gold supply (or the corn supply, or the oil supply, etc) so when failing central banks try to out compete each other in "inflation wars" the effect will be seen in the prices of commodities not in inter-currency exchange rates.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 05:01:21 PM

lol

I just heard on CapitalAccount that the FED hasn't expanded it's balance sheet for the last 2 months (despite deciding QE3). Is that true?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 09:17:34 PM

So the strategy is to have USD inflation happen slower than the other currencies, so that purchasing USD seems like a good idea, then print that money and leverage the demand to try to keep a stable value? I guess when you are running from a lion, you only have to worry about staying ahead of the slowest companion.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 02:32:24 AM

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 02:39:32 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 03:02:52 AM by DeathAndTaxes

So the strategy is to have USD inflation happen slower than the other currencies, so that purchasing USD seems like a good idea, then print that money and leverage the demand to try to keep a stable value? I guess when you are running from a lion, you only have to worry about staying ahead of the slowest companion.

Except every other central bank is trying to do the same thing.  I mean it is zero sum.   Manipulating currency doesn't generate wealth.  Increased productivity produces wealth.  All these central bank games do is rearrange the slices of the pie, usually to the benefit of the ultra rich (forget 1% more like 0.0001%) at the expense of the entire rest of the planet.   Parasitic class for the win.  Remember "money" is simply an accounting system.  If inflation is causing you to "lose" (harder to make ends meet, erodes your savings, etc) then it is causing someone else to "win".

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws."
- Mayer Amschel Rothschild
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 02:50:01 AM

Except every other central bank is trying to do the same thing.  I mean it is zero sum.   Manipulating currency doesn't generate wealth.  Increased productivity produces wealth.  All these central bank games do is rearrange the slices of the pie, usually to the benefit of the ultra rich (forget 1% more like 0.0001%) at the expense of the entire rest of the planet.   Parasitic class for the win.  Remember "money" is simply an accounting system.  If inflation is causing you to "lose" (harder to make ends meat, erodes your savings, etc) then it is making someone else "win".

Aside from the fact that he probably never actually said that, You're dead right. Whether he said it or not, it's certainly the way things work.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 02:54:17 AM

Except every other central bank is trying to do the same thing.  I mean it is zero sum.   Manipulating currency doesn't generate wealth.  Increased productivity produces wealth.  All these central bank games do is rearrange the slices of the pie, usually to the benefit of the ultra rich (forget 1% more like 0.0001%) at the expense of the entire rest of the planet.   Parasitic class for the win.  Remember "money" is simply an accounting system.  If inflation is causing you to "lose" (harder to make ends meat, erodes your savings, etc) then it is making someone else "win".

you have to believe that ONE DAY, this retarded system is going to be replaced.... i mean its build in such a way that make its doom inevitable. the rich know this... they are buying up assets, and banking on gold and silver (why do you think they have been shooting up for the past 10 years, why do you think china built ghost cities and bought 1 bazillion pounds of copper  Shocked)

gold and silver wont pan out as well as they planed... why? Because Bitcoin  Wink

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 03:35:18 AM

If 1 bitcoin will buy 1 gram of weed (on silk road), it does not matter what the price of USD is. If they print a bunch of USD, but the supply and demand of bitcoins and weed remain steady, then 1 bitcoin will still but one gram of weed, but that bitcoin will buy more dollars than before. So the USD inflation does not have any afect on BTC, but the USD/BTC rate will go up.

Taking a different view, if the USD starts going into faster inflation, then more people will start looking for places to put their money that are not subject to the inflation, so more people will want to put their savings into bitcoins. This will raise the value of bitcoins (maybe 1 bitcoin will then buy 2 grams of weed, or 10 grams of weed).

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:59:49 AM

gold and silver wont pan out as well as they planed... why? Because Bitcoin  Wink

Weird. At this point usually cypherdoc jumps in and posts something about the daaash for digital caaash.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:36:10 AM

Weird. At this point usually cypherdoc jumps in and posts something about the daaash for digital caaash.

He's travelling and likely hasn't seen the thread yet.

Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 09:53:16 AM

So if the US economy has to print more $$$ to deal with this fiscal cliff I've been reading about in the news will the inflation of the USD cause an increase in BTC price? Or are BTCs relatively pegged to USD?

Ceteris paribus, the more USD available, the higher the BTC price.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: