Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:57:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: $1000000 valuation challenge - can you help?  (Read 829 times)
DenisGorbachev (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 01:34:15 PM

Hey everybody, I'm doing https://bitly.com/milvalchal, interviewing people who deal with unrecoverable passwords. Since Bitcoin wallets don't have a "forgot password" link, I thought this forum would be a good place to ask for interviews.

Anybody up for a quick 15-min Hangouts/Skype call? I'd be very grateful for that and will answer any of *your* questions in turn (I'm a web/mobile developer with 7+ years of experience)

If you'd like to chat, send me a PM please.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 05:03:39 PM

Sounds like a good idea and a lot of people here may be willing to help.

I'd suggest posting this on one of the other boards - Bitcoin, Mining, or Economics.

Most of the people that come to the Beginner's board are beginners/newbies, and therefore may not have much or any experience dealing with the "unrecoverable password" element of using bitcoin.

Also, would you be willing to post your results to the forum so the community may learn from what you've researched?

Good luck!

DenisGorbachev (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 05:06:14 PM

Possum577, thanks for advice! Is that OK to simply repost the topic, or should I ask the moderators to move the thread?
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 05:07:05 PM

BTW, I'd be happy to discuss it with you, but only via email.

And if you do succeed at getting 100 respondants (and then earn the $5,000 investment costs) you should consider offering a small payment  for involvement. Paying each person BTC0.1 for their interview (i.e., ~$3) would be enough to get interest and leave you only spending $300 of your funds on gaining the research - make payment contingent on getting the 100 respondents.

Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 05:07:36 PM

Possum577, thanks for advice! Is that OK to simply repost the topic, or should I ask the moderators to move the thread?

You can repost it (exactly as it is written here) in the other board and then delete this thread.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 06:19:03 PM

Hey everybody, I'm doing https://bitly.com/milvalchal, interviewing people who deal with unrecoverable passwords. Since Bitcoin wallets don't have a "forgot password" link, I thought this forum would be a good place to ask for interviews.

Anybody up for a quick 15-min Hangouts/Skype call? I'd be very grateful for that and will answer any of *your* questions in turn (I'm a web/mobile developer with 7+ years of experience)

If you'd like to chat, send me a PM please.

What is the purpose of the interviews?  Is it to try to recover what are most likely unrecoverable wallets?

Or just talk about losing a wallet?  If just talking what are you doing with all this info?  I'm just trying to understand the goal of this.
DenisGorbachev (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 06:51:12 PM

What is the purpose of the interviews?

I'm working on a startup. For a startup to succeed, I need to make something people want. To understand what people want, I'm asking them about their problems.

I've hypothesized that people have a problem with unrecoverable passwords; I'm not sure if they really have it. That's why I'm asking for interviews — to find it out.

DenisGorbachev (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 07:04:55 PM

And if you do succeed at getting 100 respondants, you should consider offering a small payment  for involvement.

Good idea, I was thinking about that, too — but don't you think it will skew the results towards people with the least amount of Bitcoin? (they would be more likely to chase a small payment) Whereas their unrecoverable passwords for Bitcoin wallets will probably be not important enough.
UserVVIP

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 08:06:14 PM

Tell the people to just use a qr code and get on with life.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 08:10:32 PM

And if you do succeed at getting 100 respondants, you should consider offering a small payment  for involvement.

Good idea, I was thinking about that, too — but don't you think it will skew the results towards people with the least amount of Bitcoin? (they would be more likely to chase a small payment) Whereas their unrecoverable passwords for Bitcoin wallets will probably be not important enough.

Personally, I don't think it would. But factually, it may.  Here's what you can do. Screen people for their participation and make  "personal  BTC holdings"  a question in that screening. Or if people experienced with unrecoverable passwords is your target for surveys you may consider screening based on length of time using bitcoin (veterans vs. newbies), or transaction volume, or wallet volume.

Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 08:11:51 PM

Tell the people to just use a qr code and get on with life.

So you mean - tell people to use bitcoin banks like Coinbase?

How does one recover their bitcoin wallet QR code if it has been lost?

DenisGorbachev (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 08:17:47 PM

Or if people experienced with unrecoverable passwords is your target for surveys you may consider screening based on length of time using bitcoin (veterans vs. newbies), or transaction volume, or wallet volume.

Great idea about screening!

It's also interesting to compare the answers of people who lost an unrecoverable password once VS those who haven't yet. I'll include that question in the screening survey.
Wapinter
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 08:36:18 PM

I've hypothesized that people have a problem with unrecoverable passwords; I'm not sure if they really have it. That's why I'm asking for interviews — to find it out.

It is a fact that wallet password can not be recovered.Will you only believe it when you hear it directly from everyone? Even if you find it out after your interview I doubt you can come up with any solution because wallets passwords are unrecoverable because of security reasons

DenisGorbachev (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 08:46:52 PM

It is a fact that wallet password can not be recovered.Will you only believe it when you hear it directly from everyone?

You're right. But the difference between people having and not having a problem is going to make or break the startup. Some people may not care that their passwords are unrecoverable. What about you? Do you think there's a problem, and you haven't found a decent solution?
Wapinter
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 09:17:51 PM

It is a fact that wallet password can not be recovered.Will you only believe it when you hear it directly from everyone?

You're right. But the difference between people having and not having a problem is going to make or break the startup. Some people may not care that their passwords are unrecoverable. What about you? Do you think there's a problem, and you haven't found a decent solution?
Those who doesn't care may be the one who doesn't have considerable amount of bitcoin in their wallet.Who wouldn't care if he has lots of bitcoin and if he forget password to his wallet? As far as I am concerned it definitely keeps bugging me that what if I ever forgot my password how am I going to get my bitcoin back?

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 02:11:28 AM

You want to try Dave at wallet recovery services. He's the main man for reuniting people with their coins if they're having password problems.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: