Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:12:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that Armory may possibly be on its deathbed, any good alternatives?  (Read 902 times)
pf (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 07:24:25 PM

The most important features for me:

• Airgapped transactions. Private key is only on offline computer.
  • Deterministic wallet. Only one backup, no matter how many addresses you create.
  • Ability to bring in my own entropy from a dice and deck of cards (which you can do perfectly well in Armory even though it's not explicitly shown in the UI, as explained in one of my tutorials).
  • Encrypted wallet file for backing up to online computer, such that it can be customized to use lots of memory (scrypt) before using a decryption passphrase. Crucial protection against brute-force attacks.

Do any alternatives other than Armory provide these things?

(For me, the full node is not as crucial. SPV would be fine IMO, if not better.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 07:51:45 PM

Electrum is able to do airgapped transactions, deterministic wallets, and encrypted wallet files. I'm not sure whether you can bring in your own entropy (and I don't totally understand how it works in your armory tutorial anyways). I'm not sure if the encrypted wallet can be customized.

Goatpig says that if the open source version is dropped, he will personally pick it up and be the open source maintainer of the project.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 08:10:53 PM

• Deterministic wallet. Only one backup, no matter how many addresses you create.
  • Ability to bring in my own entropy from a dice and deck of cards (which you can do perfectly well in Armory even though it's not explicitly shown in the UI, as explained in one of my tutorials).
  • Encrypted wallet file for backing up to online computer, such that it can be customized to use lots of memory (scrypt) before using a decryption passphrase. Crucial protection against brute-force attacks.

Do any alternatives other than Armory provide these things?

(For me, the full node is not as crucial. SPV would be fine IMO, if not better.)

According to this reddit post you can bring your own entropy in to Trezor. I would prefer to trust the developers know what they are doing though.

oddman55

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 05:51:04 PM

Can you elaborate on why Armory might be on it's deathbed?  I am new to Bitcoin, and this wallet is the one I chose, based on reviews.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 06:17:46 PM

Can you elaborate on why Armory might be on it's deathbed?  I am new to Bitcoin, and this wallet is the one I chose, based on reviews.

They have temporarily stopped releasing open source versions as they work on their commercial products.

picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 06:44:45 PM

For me, the first two points are a must.  In addition n-of-m PAPER backups (shamir secret sharing or similar) is important.

Bring my own entropy is nice to have, but any system that allows paper backups can be tricked to accept your own entropy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: