Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:57:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open applications for moderatorship: a big leap forward  (Read 1155 times)
dree12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:23:41 AM

Disclaimer: I am not interested in becoming a moderator, as I simply do not have the time.

I noticed smoothie's and SaltySpitoon's public moderator application threads recently. I must say, this is a great step forward for transparency from the BitcoinTalk admins. I propose that we have a moderator application process, where any established members can publicly apply for the status. Although the admins will still have the final decision, the increased transparency will allow their power to be kept in check.

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:50:38 AM

I've never seen an online community in which open applications for mod/admin positions caused anything but drama.

While I get what you're saying about transparency, we all need to remember that this forum is not a democracy and that the admins aren't accountable to the community.  When you talk about keeping the power of the admins in check, you're talking about making a fundamental change in the nature of this messageboard.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:35:16 AM

I've never seen an online community in which open applications for mod/admin positions caused anything but drama.

Agreed. Any sort of "official rules" for anything is likely to cause drama.

I usually ask people to be moderators. There are only a few current moderators who asked for the status and got it. (I myself was asked to be a moderator and then an admin -- I did not apply.)

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 04:51:26 PM

When someone asks for moderator or admin status most of the time it is for penis enlargement. The forums are running very well as they are right now!

Of course I can make a fun topic and ask for moderator in Off-topic section. I can take care that off-topic discussions stays off-topic  Grin But I have no time to do this on regular basis as I have more important thing to do in life.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 05:07:24 PM

In the forum I moderate anyone asking for a mod position will be marked to be never ever ever ever made a mod. This sort of person typically can't handle the responsiblity and WILL go berserk at one point.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2012, 07:06:48 PM

While I get what you're saying about transparency, we all need to remember that this forum is not a democracy and that the admins aren't accountable to the community.  When you talk about keeping the power of the admins in check, you're talking about making a fundamental change in the nature of this messageboard.

You're right, as far as I'm concerned the only thing admins and moderators should be doing is stopping spam and making sure hackers don't take down the site, that's all I ever do, I have no interest in being the moral police for morals that aren't necessarily correct in the first place.
J-Norm

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:13:10 PM

Check out Wikipedia's "Requests for admin" process. Drama to the nth degree.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: