Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:15:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie help  (Read 1931 times)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 10:45:59 PM

What you guys think of a second hand S3 for 250 euro. Are these easier to set up than the USBs

No! Bad. 250 euros is the price of a Antminer S5. Find a way to get a S3 for under 100USD. If you pay more, i understand it might be hard if you pay VAT but its not worth it. At all.

If you can get a S5 for 250euros, that would be a good pick, however.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 11:29:31 PM

What you guys think of a second hand S3 for 250 euro. Are these easier to set up than the USBs

No! Bad. 250 euros is the price of a Antminer S5. Find a way to get a S3 for under 100USD. If you pay more, i understand it might be hard if you pay VAT but its not worth it. At all.

It will seem not worth it from most countries.  But Europe gear sells at a high premium.   I don't think it's 250 premium but I could see 150 - 200.  Prices are crazy high over there compared to the regular market.

And you are right it's not worth it, but in a market miners are harder to get people seem to pay more.  Even if ROI math does not support it. 
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 12:58:53 AM

It will seem not worth it from most countries.  But Europe gear sells at a high premium.   I don't think it's 250 premium but I could see 150 - 200.  Prices are crazy high over there compared to the regular market.

And you are right it's not worth it, but in a market miners are harder to get people seem to pay more.  Even if ROI math does not support it. 

And apparently Europe has a lot of of places where the electricity cost is very expensive, so even if he could get a S3 for under 80 EURO, it might not be profitable to run unless he somehow has "free" electricity.

The S5's are probably okay right now with the BTC price being good for the time being, but i'm not sure buying one for 600USD is a smart move.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
niallo27 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 11:48:04 AM

This is for research for my thesis so turning a profit is not of huge importance to me although it would be nice.

▲▼ No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options ▲▼
████████████ sec◔nds trade ████████████
↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 02:10:35 PM

This is for research for my thesis so turning a profit is not of huge importance to me although it would be nice.

Most likely you will take a loss in Europe electricity prices seem very high normally.   So I would not count on a profit.

Ok i will do. I will be in canada for few weeks with work in a few weeks. Would the price over there be a lot cheaper plus i will have free electricity for the few weeks i am there.

It's a good place to try it out compared to Europe.  But you won't make profit in a matter of weeks most likely.  Normally they are priced high enough were talking monts, not weeks to hit any profit.
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 02:34:15 PM

Most likely you will take a loss in Europe electricity prices seem very high normally.   So I would not count on a profit.

Ok i will do. I will be in canada for few weeks with work in a few weeks. Would the price over there be a lot cheaper plus i will have free electricity for the few weeks i am there.

It's a good place to try it out compared to Europe.  But you won't make profit in a matter of weeks most likely.  Normally they are priced high enough were talking monts, not weeks to hit any profit.

For hardware prices though Canada would be much better

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 05:37:43 PM

There is still a vat in Canada although it's smaller then most of Europe.  Are you planning on flying from Canada with the mine back home?

I would guess they ask about bringing items of value so they can tax on flight back.   But I know some might not be honest.   Just seems like a lot to get a miner.   

You could leave it in Canada.  There is at least one data center there.  Likely more then I know.
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 08:25:50 PM

I have to go training over there for 3 weeks. I could stick it in my checked bags, they never check them. The prices are nearly half what they are over here. I was thinking about going for an s3 and then maybe add another in a month or two.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 07:25:58 AM

I have to go training over there for 3 weeks. I could stick it in my checked bags, they never check them. The prices are nearly half what they are over here. I was thinking about going for an s3 and then maybe add another in a month or two.

mmh, all this mess just for 3 weeks with a mere s3? seems a waste of time and effort

bear in mind that an s3 can do only $10 per week without electricity, i'm with the idea, that if you don't go a little big in mining nowaday, you will only going to collect crumbs
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 08:41:50 AM

There is still a vat in Canada although it's smaller then most of Europe.  Are you planning on flying from Canada with the mine back home?

I would guess they ask about bringing items of value so they can tax on flight back.   But I know some might not be honest.   Just seems like a lot to get a miner.   

You could leave it in Canada.  There is at least one data center there.  Likely more then I know.

The tax you pay on border is really not comparable and it only apply to certain things at certain value. It does not apply to personal belongings, and a S3 is far from a high value item. You can carry an expensive laptop no problems.

And that S3, just ship it to me from inside Canada when you're leaving, i'll buy it. Tongue

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 08:45:26 AM

I think you guys are getting me wrong. I am going to Canada with work anyway but i plan to bring the S3 home with me to Ireland and continue mining here. I just think it will be a lot cheaper to buy them over there and bring them home with me.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 08:48:14 AM

I think you guys are getting me wrong. I am going to Canada with work anyway but i plan to bring the S3 home with me to Ireland and continue mining here. I just think it will be a lot cheaper to buy them over there and bring them home with me.

Ah my bad, i was under the impression the electricity cost over there was prohibitive. If you come back with new belongings you will have to pay to import them to your home. What is the price for them in Ireland? I find the S3 here pretty overpriced for their returns.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 10:38:06 PM

So i can an S3 for about 175 euro in canada or an S5 for 560 euro. Since i am starting would i be better off getting two s3's. What you guys think.

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 10:48:48 PM

So i can an S3 for about 175 euro in canada or an S5 for 560 euro. Since i am starting would i be better off getting two s3's. What you guys think.
Last s5's that sold where retailing brand new for $404 USD.  $175 euro for an s3 is pretty damn high given they are selling for between $85-$110 on ebay typically.

imho you should go for the s3 and stick to only one as neither unit is likely to earn what you pay for it (barring some meteoric rise in BTC price that isn't driven by some Russian Ponzi operator) so better off only losing 1/2 as much.

*Just my 2 satoshis Wink

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 02:02:37 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2015, 01:18:13 PM by Tupsu

You can buy S5 from me cheaper. Shipping inside EU
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=858962.0
FrostStick

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 02:04:04 AM

Based on my experience second-hand works just as well as brand new rigs. And you'll save the troubles of preordering and waiting 6 months for your rigs to arrive if you're planning to preorder.

They are a whole lot cheaper too, you just have to find the right reputable seller.
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 09:21:32 PM

Based on my experience second-hand works just as well as brand new rigs. And you'll save the troubles of preordering and waiting 6 months for your rigs to arrive if you're planning to preorder.

They are a whole lot cheaper too, you just have to find the right reputable seller.

It does seem like an issue if you are outside the states to find cheap second hand stuff, on the plus point i have talked to my employer and he has agreed for my rig to run in my workplace as its for research for my thesis. Hopefully i might get a few euro off them too.

HarryKPeters

Activity: 896

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 09:38:01 PM

A S3 under 100 usd is quite hard to find tbh. I search and asked at several places.

I agree 100USD is too much, but it is the market which determines the price.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 09:42:17 PM

A S3 under 100 usd is quite hard to find tbh. I search and asked at several places.

I agree 100USD is too much, but it is the market which determines the price.

Also consider the 100 price was with BTC around 230.   With it going up to around 330's it is bound to go up with it.  Just the way the system works.  Miners are worth more when BTC has a higher value. 

So at this point it is much harder to get 100 dollar S3, but at 230 you could easily find it some with shipping even. 
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: