Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 10:43:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way for old people to hold altcoins?  (Read 424 times)
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 02:49:08 PM

I've been able to get two older couples to buy and hold BTC in their Coinbase wallet.  Now I'd like to get them to trade some of that BTC for some key altcoins.  Shapeshift would be ideal for acquiring the alts but then they need a way to store them.  I don't trust their computer security practices so I don't think their coins should be kept in a wallet on their computer.  Is Poloniex the best way to go?
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 02:50:25 PM

Paper wallet?

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 03:17:56 PM

I've been able to get two older couples to buy and hold BTC in their Coinbase wallet.  Now I'd like to get them to trade some of that BTC for some key altcoins.  Shapeshift would be ideal for acquiring the alts but then they need a way to store them.  I don't trust their computer security practices so I don't think their coins should be kept in a wallet on their computer.  Is Poloniex the best way to go?

You could try Poloniex or Cryptsy, although I sometimes prefer Poloniex for its reliability. It would be best to store those alts on paper wallets, and just in case, make a backup of your public and private keys, then make an encrypted volume using TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt and later upload that file to the cloud like Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox.  Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 03:28:36 PM

I think it is very unwise to get old people to hold something they don't understand and do not know how to store properly.

You've got them into Bitcoin which is enough for them at their age to ride crypto. If any altcoins mature to the point where they can obtain it with the same confidence as they seem to feel they get with Coinbase, then that will be the time they can and should do it.

You holding their hand is you investing for them, but your priorities are the same as theirs (different age, no chance they can work again to regenerate losses, more conservative, etc) thus you are in effect investing their money to your priorities. Not wise to become surety for another person (Proverbs).

tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 03:30:38 PM

It depends on how long you want to be holding onto these alts and if you are looking for a quick profit and then trading them back for BTC.  It would be a lot of hassle to setup paper wallets if you are not going to be holding them for any length of time, the main exchange I would suggest for alts would be Bittrex although Cryptsy and Poloniex are both great I prefer Bittrex for usability.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 03:42:34 PM

I have to agree with TPTB above.

The fact that they are already 'invested' in bitcoin should be enough, for now. I will not introduce any alt coin to them before they are not 100% onboard with bitcoin meaning that they are comfortable holding and transacting with it and also understand everything 'holding' entails i.e. wallets, security as well as all the other risk factors.

Once they reach that level one can look at alt coins. Personally will not do it though, think they should be just fine with bitcoin until such time as there is really an alt coin that is on par with bitcoin.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 05:48:19 PM

..get some young whipper snapper to do it for them Wink

PS:

Stay off my damn lawn kidiots !

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: [1]