Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:44:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Riddle me this?  (Read 1786 times)
robinarabia (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:31:55 PM

I'm a newbie to the site but bought Bitcoin about 6 months ago and like most am pleasantly surprised by the recent price increase. I tried to get an answer to this on other threads but can't find one. Here goes:

If predictions of a future Bitcoin, valued at multiples of it's worth today ...are common belief, why on earth would you use Bitcoin in the first place, let alone sell it?

Thank you in advance for all informed responses.
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:36:51 PM

You have to have a really good technical understanding on how computers work in general to answer your question. As it was the case with the internet, many people were asking similar questions you were asking. What is the internet's potential? How is it going to look in 20 years? The same could be said about Bitcoin. It is a technology still in development with many future applications down the road. There is going to be more use in the currency and Bitcoin will become as important as the USD. Every purchased Bitcoin for fiat is an investment in this technology.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:44:47 PM

I'm a newbie to the site but bought Bitcoin about 6 months ago and like most am pleasantly surprised by the recent price increase. I tried to get an answer to this on other threads but can't find one. Here goes:

If predictions of a future Bitcoin, valued at multiples of it's worth today ...are common belief, why on earth would you use Bitcoin in the first place, let alone sell it?

I am not selling my coins, I assure you of this. I am spending them though since I believe that in this way I am boosting Bitcoin adoption, usage, transactions number, etc. So I am really trying to pay with Bitcoin whatever I can in my life and whatever it's available to be paid at the moment.

I do however tend to buy whatever I spend and very often, even more as my Fiat is coming in from my real job. Granted, I don't buy as I spend immediately, but once or twice a month I do replenish my spending reserves and I add a bit more. What will people that I send them to (pay goods to)are doing with coins, that's their worry.

Of course, I have my long-term cold storage stash. I am not touching this to at least year 2020.
robinarabia (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:50:35 PM

Thanks for your answer Tom.
However, it is very unsatisfactory and the comparison with the internet...tenuous. It still doesn't tackle the very basic idea of a person holding Bitcoin believing that in 2 years time, the value may have doubled, for example.
Why on earth would this person use it, if he/she knew it was vastly undervalued?

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:53:49 PM

While I think merchant acceptance is a bit of a sideshow, unless there's some actual utility it'll just sit there doing nothing. And there ain't no guarantee it's vastly undervalued.

There are plenty of people on here who don't hold it at all. They use it for what they need it for and then get out again. The speculators probably massively outweigh them but they're out there.
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:58:45 PM

Listening to a podcast and heard guy doing some math (can't recall the details) and he said that 1 Btc could reach 2.8 Million dollars! And it seems that the bitcoin rally is real!

http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/30/the-bitcoin-rally-is-real/

robinarabia (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:08:13 PM

Thanks Gentleman and Mickey. I appreciate your point GM that it may not be undervalued. But for the sake of argument, we will assume it is.

So if the speculators massively outweigh users at the moment (see Blawpaw below), Bitcoin price inertia is inevitable. Correct?

Therefore, a massive shift in use is required. A seismic event/thinking must be applied to move from speculation to use.

However, it just seems that it is a chicken and egg scenario, .... leading back to my original question. Why would people ever use it if the current belief, (by the majority of Bitcoiners), seems to be that it is undervalued.

Any other input would be great. Thanks.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:11:32 PM

Here is a riddle to answer your riddle:
When you bought your bitcoin, did you buy it thinking it was a currency or it was an asset?

Depending on your answer, determines how you view and will use it.

At one time in history, gold was the only currency, but today it is an asset.
Only time will tell how bitcoin will ultimately be used.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 10:12:11 PM

I have the answer for you. There are many reasonably explanations to why people sell it.

The price of bitcoin, as do most investments, do not rise linearly in a straight line. There are up and downs. Investors may want to capture more profit buy selling at local highs and buy back at local lows. People genuinely need money for other things and are prepared to forego some profit to fulfil other more urgent needs. Some bitcoin owners have too little bitcoin to care about future profits because even if they sell at the future price, it's not a life-changing amount. Spending bitcoin is a novelty for many users. It is fun to try buying lunch with your saved bitcoin, only to buy it them back on the exchange later.

There are many more real life scenarios... and we do need more people spending it so the bitcoin economy can grow.

Harry Hood

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:19:12 PM

The predictions of price growth are only that, predictions. There's nothing certain about it. And there's still a wide debate over whether Bitcoin's future is as an asset class or a currency, obviously it's treated as both right now.

The connundrum is that  we can't really have asset class appreciation without adoption and adoption is acquired by use as a currency...

bri912678

Activity: 348

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:35:54 PM

Some companies offer promotional discounts if you pay with Bitcoin. Newegg the online retailer has offered a number of deals such as an offer of $100 discount for buying an xbox one with Bitcoin. People holding Bitcoins who used them to buy xbox ones could get a free $100, then buy their Bitcoins back off an exchange. With offers like that why wouldn't you spend your Bitcoins, then replenish them?
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:58:59 PM

Bitcoin is primarily something to own and speculate. But just like every other asset you can possibly own, you can trade it with people that are willing to exchange what they have for your Bitcoin, which is a small number of people. Why would you sell/trade your bitcoin, well not because you don't believe it will go up i value but because what you need for your bitcoin is more important to you now that the future value of bitcoin, as you can always go buy another bitcoin to replace the one you no longer have.

As a side note, bitcoin as a currency is a distraction. Is my mother going to take care of her private keys???, no way in hell. She will never use bitcoin, ever. One day in the future people will use bitcoin for more than just asset speculation, today if you do you are a techno geek that likes to roll the dice with encryption hell.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4492

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 11:08:06 PM

in bitcoin
most smart people spend 40% save 60%
most wealthy people save 100%
most poor people spend 75% save 25%

now imagine this
imagine you had $500.. to buy 2btc at last weeks value $250, (next years imaginary price $500)

smart people spend 0.8btc, saves 1.2btc (next year=$600 saved)
wealthy people save 2btc (next year=$1,000 saved)
poor people spends 1.5btc, saves 0.5btc (next year=$250 saved)
everyone is happy.
even the poor person who spent $375 and still had $250 ($625 total funds) is happy that they got $625 out of $500

but now, in fiat
imagine you had $500.. to buy 500 bottles of water..
most smart people would search around for offers to buy at a discount 750 bottles today
most wealthy people will buy stock in the water company to get a constant supply of bottles
most poor people would just buy 500 bottles..

but with fiat there is no need or reason to save $100 for 5 years. because in 5 years due to inflation you wont get 100 bottles you will only get 50 bottles

so the short story..
even if your dirt poor and need the money. bitcoiners dont spend it all, only whats really really needed.. the hope is to save atleast some for future investment

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
tommorisonwebdesign

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 11:15:56 PM

Thanks for your answer Tom.
However, it is very unsatisfactory and the comparison with the internet...tenuous. It still doesn't tackle the very basic idea of a person holding Bitcoin believing that in 2 years time, the value may have doubled, for example.
Why on earth would this person use it, if he/she knew it was vastly undervalued?

Bitcoin is onlu undervalued because it is a new technology and all of it's potential is being worked. In time, more applications will ve found and the price will soar.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
beepboopbeep

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 11:19:01 PM

If everybody just sat on bitcoin then there would be no market. Bitcoin is also very convenient to do trades.
ANdr0id

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 11:24:06 PM

Here is the answer:
It is an evolution of our current monetary system. Do you question evolution of life? If you do, then this answer is not for you.
Unlike me. It fits it just find.  Wink
tommorisonwebdesign

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 12:19:55 AM

Here is the answer:
It is an evolution of our current monetary system. Do you question evolution of life? If you do, then this answer is not for you.
Unlike me. It fits it just find.  Wink
Exactly the answer my friend. Those people who do not accept Bitcoin are like the creationists who think god created everything into existence. Is not what science says, and as we can tell Bitcoin is an evolution of our money system.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 12:59:24 AM
Last edit: October 31, 2015, 01:09:48 AM by Soros Shorts

OP, the reason is because in any market no two market participants are alike. They could be:

- short term speculators
- long term speculators
- parasitic traders
- informed traders
- clueless traders
- liquidity providers
- people with low risk tolerance
- people with high risk tolerance
- hedgers with an offsetting exposure in another market

just to name a few. The overall result is that there will always be sellers and buyers at any price, each partaking in the trade for different reasons. Your assumption that everyone must be a long term speculator holding out for future gains is incorrect.

In my particular case I mine my BTC and I may sell off some of it to offset electricity costs (even though I can afford to pay for the entire electric bill from my salary).
MrBig

Activity: 369

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 01:23:37 AM

Thanks Gentleman and Mickey. I appreciate your point GM that it may not be undervalued. But for the sake of argument, we will assume it is.

So if the speculators massively outweigh users at the moment (see Blawpaw below), Bitcoin price inertia is inevitable. Correct?

Therefore, a massive shift in use is required. A seismic event/thinking must be applied to move from speculation to use.

However, it just seems that it is a chicken and egg scenario, .... leading back to my original question. Why would people ever use it if the current belief, (by the majority of Bitcoiners), seems to be that it is undervalued.

Any other input would be great. Thanks.

Why not use it if I got it? Especially if the price has gone up since I first bought some BTC. I've bought things with BTC before only to have the price spring upwards after my purchase and vice versa. Not all of us are into BTC hoping to get rich.  Some of us like the technology and the freedom it offers from the usurious bloodsucking banking system.
Q7

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 01:29:51 AM

If the price value does increase, I assume at that point people are actually using it as a real currency and not just buying and hoarding which I think is not sustainable in the long run to drive further price increase. When the demand is natural for example using it as a cross border transaction mode of transfer, that is where I see bitcoin having the most potential.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: