Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:40:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ISP shut down my Intenet!  (Read 6658 times)
Pasky08 (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 10:55:05 PM

Ok so I just got off the phone with my ISP.  They have been detecting a "virus" and have shut down my connection because they FEEL like I am infecting other people.  Of course, what they are seeing is the IRC P2P activity from my miners.  I told them it is not a virus and they refuse to accept my explanation.  I told them I would turn off the program if they would just give my internet back (temporary fix).

My question to you guys is, what should I do now?  Is there a way around my snooping ISP?  I feel like I have two options right now, 1. Stop mining.  2. Change ISPs.  Also I have been mining on and off for more than a year now. 

Hoping some people can help me out here. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
freewil

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 10:58:33 PM

Where do you live and who is your ISP?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:01:26 PM

Ok so I just got off the phone with my ISP.  They have been detecting a "virus" and have shut down my connection because they FEEL like I am infecting other people.  Of course, what they are seeing is the IRC P2P activity from my miners.  I told them it is not a virus and they refuse to accept my explanation.  I told them I would turn off the program if they would just give my internet back (temporary fix).

My question to you guys is, what should I do now?  Is there a way around my snooping ISP?  I feel like I have two options right now, 1. Stop mining.  2. Change ISPs.  Also I have been mining on and off for more than a year now. 

This kind of thing has come up before, and in every case that I can recall, it turned out that the ISP wasn't really combating viri but trying to clamp down on Bittorrent or some other P2P tech that takes a lot of bandwidth.  They can't really say it that way, though.  Why would your miners be consuming a lot of bandwidth?  You should only have one that is 'net facing while the rest just connect to each other and that one.  If nothing else, you can port that one's connection over Tor, although that will slow things down.  A ssh tunnel to an off-isp-network shell account would work well.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pasky08 (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:11:54 PM

I live in Ontario, Canada. My ISP is Rogers.

This kind of thing has come up before, and in every case that I can recall, it turned out that the ISP wasn't really combating viri but trying to clamp down on Bittorrent or some other P2P tech that takes a lot of bandwidth.  They can't really say it that way, though.  Why would your miners be consuming a lot of bandwidth?  You should only have one that is 'net facing while the rest just connect to each other and that one.  If nothing else, you can port that one's connection over Tor, although that will slow things down.  A ssh tunnel to an off-isp-network shell account would work well.

Ok I have 2 computers with 5 miners (cards).  I use Deepbit and GUI miner (used to use POCLBM but switched recently).  For the last while I have been running only one computer which has 2 miners.  My question to you is: does the mining software take a lot of bandwidth?  I can't imagine it being more bandwidth than downloading a torrent.  Also, will porting through the TOR network really hide the packets from my ISP?  I never had a use for TOR so I am unfamiliar with it.
Pasky08 (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:13:48 PM

VPN google it

Yeah it looks like I have to go rogue from now on.  Oh well, maybe I can grab me some American Netflix while I'm at it.  The Canadian one sux!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:14:24 PM

Ok I have 2 computers with 5 miners (cards).  I use Deepbit and GUI miner (used to use POCLBM but switched recently).  For the last while I have been running only one computer which has 2 miners.  My question to you is: does the mining software take a lot of bandwidth?  I can't imagine it being more bandwidth than downloading a torrent.

Only while trying to download the blockchain, like any other client.  Ongoing, not so much, no.

Also, will porting through the TOR network really hide the packets from my ISP?

If set up correctly, yes.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
nomnomnom

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:16:11 PM

If you are just mining on a pool this should not cause irc traffic. Mining also does not use a lot of bandwith.
My 1 GH/s was like 2kb/s up/down, thats not much. Option 2 sounds like a solid plan imho.
Rudd-O

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 11:19:13 PM

OK, I'm going to help you get to the bottom of the issue in a simple step by step fashion.

Call Rogers' support.

You'll be connected to level 1 support.  These guys are clueless.

So ask to talk to level 2 support.  Politely, of course.  You know they're losers but they can cockblock you, so be nice.

At this point you'll be talking to engineers.  Disregard them, for their methods to figure out what's wrong with your internet connection are naturally limited to the practice of science, and that methodology and epistemology -- clearly, as you have already been debriefed by Rogers -- is beneath the problem that is afflicting your internet connection.

So tell them to connect you to level 3.

When they patch you through, you'll finally have reached level 3 support.  This is where the Internet Shamans work.  They, and only they, can FEEL your internet connection, and they can FEEL the viruses that your computer is distributing over the internet.  These privileged and magical individuals, in their infinite benevolence and with their infallible judgment that privileges oneness with the internet universe, will surely be able to restore harmony to your computing system.

You're welcome :-)
2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 11:23:21 PM

lol my ISP shut me down for 15-40Gbps international UDP flood (and this after half the city was without google for a day... and u get cut-off for mining this is crazy.

Change the ISP ASAP and check your network for malicious software just in case Wink

Pasky08 (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:26:16 PM

OK, I'm going to help you get to the bottom of the issue in a simple step by step fashion.

Call Rogers' support.

So ask to talk to level 2 support.  Politely, of course.  You know they're losers but they can cockblock you, so be nice.

At this point you'll be talking to engineers.  Disregard them, for their methods to figure out what's wrong with your internet connection are naturally limited to the practice of science, and that methodology and epistemology -- clearly, as you have already been debriefed by Rogers -- is beneath the problem that is afflicting your internet connection.

When they patch you through, you'll finally have reached level 3 support.  This is where the Internet Shamans work.  They, and only they, can FEEL your internet connection, and they can FEEL the viruses that your computer is distributing over the internet.  These privileged and magical individuals, in their infinite benevolence and with their infallible judgment that privileges oneness with the internet universe, will surely be able to restore harmony to your computing system.

Are you a Rogers level 3 technician?  LoL...what do I say to these guys once I get there?  "I'm mining Bitcoins, please stop flagging my connection as an IRC bot, thanx"Huh??
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 11:30:33 PM

This kind of thing has come up before, and in every case that I can recall, it turned out that the ISP wasn't really combating viri but trying to clamp down on Bittorrent or some other P2P tech that takes a lot of bandwidth.  They can't really say it that way, though.  Why would your miners be consuming a lot of bandwidth?  You should only have one that is 'net facing while the rest just connect to each other and that one.  If nothing else, you can port that one's connection over Tor, although that will slow things down.  A ssh tunnel to an off-isp-network shell account would work well.

Ok I have 2 computers with 5 miners (cards).  I use Deepbit and GUI miner (used to use POCLBM but switched recently).  For the last while I have been running only one computer which has 2 miners.  My question to you is: does the mining software take a lot of bandwidth?  I can't imagine it being more bandwidth than downloading a torrent.  Also, will porting through the TOR network really hide the packets from my ISP?  I never had a use for TOR so I am unfamiliar with it.

Rogers sucks man......... Where are you located.... Get cogeco... Smiley

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Rudd-O

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 11:34:40 PM

Call Rogers' support.

Are you a Rogers level 3 technician?  LoL...what do I say to these guys once I get there?  "I'm mining Bitcoins, please stop flagging my connection as an IRC bot, thanx"Huh??

If you tell the Internet Shamans that you are mining Bitcoin, they will be able to feel your computing system in oneness with the universe and the common good, verify that to be the case, and they'll restore your service.

But no, seriously this time, level 3 is usually understanding of this and will be able to determine that your activity is legit.  One tip: don't act apologetic (your activities are legitimate), but don't act belligerent either -- simply explain that there has been a misunderstanding somewhere down the line, your Bitcoin mining was misidentified as IRC botnet activity, and you'd love to continue being their customer so you'll expect them to help you swiftly resolve the issue.  Of course, if they still insist, ask them to share some tangible evidence so you can address any lingering issues on your side.

Unless cuntdicks in management gave the order to fuck your shit up, the problem ought to be resolved that way.  Sucks to wait on the phone, though.

Source: not a Rogers technician, but I have friends who are Level 3 ISP technicians and I've solved quite a few misunderstandings with many ISPs in 15 years (sometimes by switching to a better ISP).
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:35:19 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2012, 11:51:42 PM by BitBlitz

Are you sure it is from mining?  The Bitcoin client and mining pools do not use IRC ports.
[EDIT] They owe you a better explanation.  If you're mining at a pool, you're connecting to one IP.  Bitcoin clients do use P2P connectivity, but the traffic is not on IRC ports, does not look like IRC traffic, etc..

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
AndrewBUD

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 11:43:44 PM

Are you doing anything on purpose that would use a lot of bandwidth ?

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

trading

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1038

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:50:26 PM

First this:
Change ISPs

Then use VPN to show middle finger to fags at ISP who are spying on your connection!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 12:06:21 AM

That explains it.

Rogers has to be one of the worst ISP's around, and the situation has not changed for a long time. My experience with them was in Vancouver in the 1990's and their so called high speed Internet was easily 10x-20x slower than a dial up modem at 14.4 kbps. I actually tested this. I still wonder if a telegraph line circa 1850 would actually outperform Rogers in data transmission throughput. When Shaw took over the cable network in parts of the Lower Mainland (Vancouver area) they inherited the mess Rogers had created. I have spoken to Shaw technicians who told me that Rogers would place 10000+ users on a node designed for 1000 users tops. There so called technical support is simply awful, as is their customer support. They are also known for grounding a cable modem by drilling on a live gas line.

The solution is simple ditch them. Here is a site with a list of alternatives. http://www.ihaterogers.ca/internet_on1.htm

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 12:17:45 AM

Vote with your money. Better use your energy to switch to a competent ISP instead of trying to solve this with them.

I did the same years ago, when I found out that my ISP was incompetent and I have not had a problem since.
AndrewBUD

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 12:53:05 AM

Most internet in Canada sucks compared to the USA and Europe.

We are very limited on what we can get unless you live in a HUGE city...

In my area we have one cable internet provider and numerous DSL providers selling the same DSL service....

Question: Can you get Cogeco in your AREA? You're not in London are you?

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

trading

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:01:08 AM

Clearly : Change ISP !  If my ISP ever proceed this way with me, I prosecute them right away !
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:13:33 AM

I quit Cogeco 2 years ago, they where so mixed-up with their bills and they never kept logs of any of my calls, I've been in trouble with them like 2 month long, they kept switching my service down, even if fully paid, called every few days for 2 weeks, never had any worklog/call/log of anykind each time I called.. They made me mad !  I quit !  Also, they had a limit on DL.. that's not the case with my new ISP !
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: