Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:55:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S7  (Read 1947 times)
paulb787 (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 03:13:08 PM

I am looking to buy my fist miner. I see the s7 is pretty popular. Just wondering, and I am sure this has been asked but is it worth it? I looked at a bitcoin calculator and 4.8TH/s will make 370 a month not including electricity. If the electric is 100 a month then I will make my money back In 10 months. What I am not sure about is the technology in 10 months? Will the s7 be like the s5 in 10 months and not be profitable? What are my chances of at least making my money back? Nervous about spending 2500 dollars on my first miner. Any help is greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jacobmayes94

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 07:44:22 PM

where are you looking to mine? I am in a flat that doesn't have a spare room so I stuck with a bunch of S3s and smaller miners as they are quieter than the S5 and S7 models from my research. Don't want a mini jet engine if you don't have the space for it! Good luck to you!

The s7 is currently the best in terms of power, the similar spondoolies machines with similar hashrates use insane amounts of power compared to the s7.

Jacob Smiley
danieluk9

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 08:40:50 PM

Hi man.
What people normally do is buy the miner in, mine until they see difficulty rise or see an announcement for a newer bigger miner and then list it on ebay, you make say £600 in 2 months and then sell the unit again for £40-70 less than you bought it for, rinse and repeat Smiley

The key is to not hold onto the miners that long, well it was successful in my experience, anyways.
Ondart

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 10:02:41 PM

Paulb787,

I currently have an S5 and an S7. My first was the S5 because the initial out of pocket expense was relatively low and I wanted to learn how it all worked without forking out a bundle until I got a good grasp on it. I've been trying different mining pools too. My current goal is eventually to run 3 S7 AntMiners at home. The S7 will still be profitable after the halving around mid-next year. The S5 is a close call and it will be profitable depending on the price of bitcoin or the difficulty. If the price drops and/or the difficulty increases and the profit is breaking even, you can under clock it a bit to lower the electricity costs to keep it going. I am saving for a 2nd S7 when batch 4 is released. I'll be saving for the 3rd S7 after that but I intend to sell the S5 somewhere around  a month away from the halving next year on ebay and I intend to use the proceeds toward that 3rd S7. I figure I can run on the S7 for quite a while after the halving, depending on the changing rate and difficulty level of course, and then look at this all again when the next ASIC chip and new miners are released.

Power, noise and heat are a real struggle. I am running an S7 with two EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD, 1300W (10 yr warranty!) on a single 15 AMP circuit without any issues. My basement allows for tapping off several power circuits from other parts of the house or it would be a problem. The heat in a little basement is a problem. I just ordered a wall vent fan with a thermostat so I can push the heat out of the room into the garage so I can close the basement door. The noise has been a problem for me and my wife so we have worked together and just put in insulation in the basement ceiling and walls to dampen noise and that seems to have done the trick once I can keep the door closed when I get the wall fan. I've got room to add a 2nd wall fan and will do it if the temp is not good enough. My ultimate goal is to run three AntMiners and keep them cool and if the wife is happy, it's a win win! It's a heck of a science project and a whole lot of fun.

-Ondart

BTC: 171t96czWbGjYrccpgDjjgsD7HS3CCG135
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 11:37:13 PM

Paulb787,

I currently have an S5 and an S7. My first was the S5 because the initial out of pocket expense was relatively low and I wanted to learn how it all worked without forking out a bundle until I got a good grasp on it. I've been trying different mining pools too. My current goal is eventually to run 3 S7 AntMiners at home. The S7 will still be profitable after the halving around mid-next year. The S5 is a close call and it will be profitable depending on the price of bitcoin or the difficulty. If the price drops and/or the difficulty increases and the profit is breaking even, you can under clock it a bit to lower the electricity costs to keep it going. I am saving for a 2nd S7 when batch 4 is released. I'll be saving for the 3rd S7 after that but I intend to sell the S5 somewhere around  a month away from the halving next year on ebay and I intend to use the proceeds toward that 3rd S7. I figure I can run on the S7 for quite a while after the halving, depending on the changing rate and difficulty level of course, and then look at this all again when the next ASIC chip and new miners are released.

Power, noise and heat are a real struggle. I am running an S7 with two EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD, 1300W (10 yr warranty!) on a single 15 AMP circuit without any issues. My basement allows for tapping off several power circuits from other parts of the house or it would be a problem. The heat in a little basement is a problem. I just ordered a wall vent fan with a thermostat so I can push the heat out of the room into the garage so I can close the basement door. The noise has been a problem for me and my wife so we have worked together and just put in insulation in the basement ceiling and walls to dampen noise and that seems to have done the trick once I can keep the door closed when I get the wall fan. I've got room to add a 2nd wall fan and will do it if the temp is not good enough. My ultimate goal is to run three AntMiners and keep them cool and if the wife is happy, it's a win win! It's a heck of a science project and a whole lot of fun.

-Ondart

dude, you don't need two evga 1300 to run ONE s7.
Just order two of these below, connect them to SINGLE headed red cables and you will have 10 necessary connectors; it works like a charm.
http://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-Express-Power-Splitter-Cable/dp/B00JLU0UQ4
or
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PCIEXSPLIT6-6-Inch-Express-Splitter/dp/B004NNTVT6

so, you will be able to run your second S7 without ordering more PSU (with $7 expense).
Ondart

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 05:06:04 AM

I knew I had plenty of power, I had not thought through splitting the cables out and use the 2nd PS for my next S7 for some odd reason. I really appreciate the input Paulb787. I'm going to order them right now.  Grin

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 05:17:26 AM

I knew I had plenty of power, I had not thought through splitting the cables out and use the 2nd PS for my next S7 for some odd reason. I really appreciate the input Paulb787. I'm going to order them right now.  Grin

not paulb787, but you are welcome.
Ondart

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 06:27:33 AM

Doh! Thanks!  Embarrassed

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 07:29:56 AM

you can do it in 5 months, if you sell it halfway the roi time will be halved, so i would say that if you have the electricity you should go for it

i doubt that in 5 months anything more efficient will come out
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 07:37:06 AM

Paulb787,

I currently have an S5 and an S7. My first was the S5 because the initial out of pocket expense was relatively low and I wanted to learn how it all worked without forking out a bundle until I got a good grasp on it. I've been trying different mining pools too. My current goal is eventually to run 3 S7 AntMiners at home. The S7 will still be profitable after the halving around mid-next year. The S5 is a close call and it will be profitable depending on the price of bitcoin or the difficulty. If the price drops and/or the difficulty increases and the profit is breaking even, you can under clock it a bit to lower the electricity costs to keep it going. I am saving for a 2nd S7 when batch 4 is released. I'll be saving for the 3rd S7 after that but I intend to sell the S5 somewhere around  a month away from the halving next year on ebay and I intend to use the proceeds toward that 3rd S7. I figure I can run on the S7 for quite a while after the halving, depending on the changing rate and difficulty level of course, and then look at this all again when the next ASIC chip and new miners are released.

-Ondart

dude, you don't need two evga 1300 to run ONE s7.
Just order two of these below, connect them to SINGLE headed red cables and you will have 10 necessary connectors; it works like a charm.
http://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-Express-Power-Splitter-Cable/dp/B00JLU0UQ4
or
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PCIEXSPLIT6-6-Inch-Express-Splitter/dp/B004NNTVT6

so, you will be able to run your second S7 without ordering more PSU (with $7 expense).

an addition if i might add make sure such are 16 awg wire and the same on your power supply end (should not be a problem on the 1300 psu units..but would def check the y connectors etc)

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2015, 10:56:39 PM

Antiminer S7 is a great little unit and if you can get one for a reasonable price, this is a great first unit. 

-D

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
paulb787 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 11:15:28 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2015, 11:29:58 PM by paulb787

Thank you so much for all of the input was a little worried about the power. I am in the US and am 120V. will these work as well?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-6-Inch-Express-Adapter-LP4PCIEXADAP/dp/B0007RXDDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446505806&sr=8-1&keywords=pcie+6+pin+adapter

Also would putting it in the garage be bad? with cooling in mind
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 11:53:36 PM

Thank you so much for all of the input was a little worried about the power. I am in the US and am 120V. will these work as well?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-6-Inch-Express-Adapter-LP4PCIEXADAP/dp/B0007RXDDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446505806&sr=8-1&keywords=pcie+6+pin+adapter

No do not use molex to PCIE.... it's asking for trouble.  Molex is not going to be enough.   

Honestly get a better PSU.   It will last multiple generation of miners.  It's a good investment.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 07:34:24 AM

Antiminer S7 is a great little unit and if you can get one for a reasonable price, this is a great first unit. 

-D

yeah they are great and because of this no one is selling them les than the market price, it appear to be the opposite, they are selling at a greater price

it was the case when the usb stick were presenteed to the public, new shiny thing are always sold above their real price
paulb787 (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 11:14:45 AM

Is it ok to put it in a garage? Thanks
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 12:44:37 PM

-D

yeah they are great and because of this no one is selling them les than the market price, it appear to be the opposite, they are selling at a greater price

it was the case when the usb stick were presenteed to the public, new shiny thing are always sold above their real price

Next batch just went up.  You can get batches 5-6 ording now.  They are doing them a pretty good amount of time ahead.   

The schedule:
Batch 5 scheduled shipping date is in Nov. 23~Dec. 3. If shipping out 10 days later than the scheduled one, it won't be considered as delay.

So they are selling in advance possibly a month.
danieluk9

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 02:07:52 PM

I'm trying to look at the new batches on their site but it's just timing out.. Just me?
Coin Market

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 02:29:22 PM

That one is fine if you connect the molex connector from two different cables. The current will be split between two cables connecting to the two different socket of power supply.
Bitcoininspace

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 02:34:53 PM

Is it ok to put it in a garage? Thanks

Not sure if this is a serious question but just in case... Yes. It is safe, as long as safe means no one can get in there and steal them or you have water leaking all over the garage.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 04:21:08 PM

That one is fine if you connect the molex connector from two different cables. The current will be split between two cables connecting to the two different socket of power supply.

It's between two molex though... .molex to PCIe is not a good idea as most miners get a LOT out of the PCIe.

Your asking for heat problems on wire and possible burns on it or worse.  Don't get that adapter.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: