Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:38:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will the auction move the price up, down, or make no difference?
Up - 7 (29.2%)
Down - 4 (16.7%)
No difference - 13 (54.2%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the Fed's auction move the price up, or down?  (Read 985 times)
HI-TEC99 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 10:13:59 PM

The Fed's auction is in four days, will it move the price up, or down, or make no difference?

I think a high number of bidders could move the price up, and a lack luster number of bidders could move the price down. Have any of the previous bidders like Tim Draper, or any of the syndicates said they will be bidding yet? There hasn't been much discussion about it in the mainstream media.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 10:17:47 PM

Pantera were canvassing for bidders for their syndicate. Not sure about other players. It is interesting how quiet it's become and it's come along at a tricky time to know what to bid. You never know, it might have a positive effect if vague price news leaks out. Often there are hints at the nature of the failed bids.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 10:19:53 PM

No auctions so far have had any effect on price.  If anything, auctions allow whales to get in and then the whales try to manipulate the market upwards, but there's no way to know what they're doing.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 10:29:58 PM

As the halving approaches it will get increasingly difficult for large players to acquire sizeable positions in this market.

The Fed auctions were by far the most legitimate and convenient way to acquires large blocks of coins.

As these type of opportunities slowly expire the demand will inevitably trickle down into markets and exchanges which IMO will contribute to the rise in price.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 10:37:33 PM

No auctions so far have had any effect on price.  If anything, auctions allow whales to get in and then the whales try to manipulate the market upwards, but there's no way to know what they're doing.

I wonder if there's any crossover between previous and future auction bidders and anyone who plays on the current exchanges. I would've thought they'd be quite a separate crowd.
HI-TEC99 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 10:43:06 PM

I wonder if there's any crossover between previous and future auction bidders and anyone who plays on the current exchanges. I would've thought they'd be quite a separate crowd.

A syndicate of little guys won most of one auction's coins. They might also trade on the current exchanges. The whales who won the rest of the auctions are unlikely to trade on them. OTC markets would probably be their preferred way of trading.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 11:09:36 PM

Most people don't care about these auctions anymore. The very first auctions were followed by a lot people, nowadays not so much anymore. I don't think it will have an impact on the price. Those who buy the coins that are being auctioned will probably hold them at least till after the block halving.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 01, 2015, 11:48:04 PM

As the halving approaches it will get increasingly difficult for large players to acquire sizeable positions in this market.

The Fed auctions were by far the most legitimate and convenient way to acquires large blocks of coins.

As these type of opportunities slowly expire the demand will inevitably trickle down into markets and exchanges which IMO will contribute to the rise in price.

this sounds sensible
pissedoff

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 08:38:45 AM

Most people don't care about these auctions anymore. The very first auctions were followed by a lot people, nowadays not so much anymore. I don't think it will have an impact on the price. Those who buy the coins that are being auctioned will probably hold them at least till after the block halving.

I think people still so care about these auctions.
The auction might affect the price negatively if the buyer decides to dump the coin for a quick profit.
If the buyer holds onto it it would be a positive.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 10:32:28 AM

The auction might affect the price negatively if the buyer decides to dump the coin for a quick profit.

Even if the buyer of the auctioned coins dump the coins at once, people will still buy the price up to over $300. There are a lot people waiting for another opportunity to buy below $300. I am fairly sure the coins won't get dumped right now. If they will get dumped, then surely after the halving as the price then will be much higher than now.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 11:10:57 AM

That was a quasi valid jitter for the first one. Not no more. We already know the types of bidders who line up for it. It's not the 11yr old psychopaths who dump on us over and over. These are properly capitalised professionals with long term plans.
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 11:21:10 AM

I voted for no change in price. I believe that with the current pricing, it is a good opportunity to acquire sizeable position and the last thing that could happen would be to put these newly bought coins directly on the market. That is why I rule out any direct impact on the price in short-term.

this space is intentionally left blank
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: