Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:30:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Every Bitcoiner should read this book  (Read 1381 times)
Rudd-O (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 10:21:09 AM

Courtesy of my friends at /r/AgainstAllArchons, I bring forth the book http://secondrealm.net/

Aside from being highly practical and straightforward, it will aid every single one of you who seeks to protect yourself against State aggression.

Hope you enjoy it!  :-)
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 01:43:43 PM

Anyone want the ePub version?

Download it here.

You're welcome.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:18:02 PM

Biggest fail of all time: tying Bitcoin to extreme libertarian views hoping for the downfall of the state. So sad. Bitcoin had such potential in other arenas.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 06:29:16 PM

Quote from: The Genesis Block
The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

Newsflash: It was revolutionary to begin with.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:26:58 PM

As long as we're doing book suggestion day, I will recommend:
Currency wars by rickards
The creature from Jekyll island
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 09:16:37 PM

Biggest fail of all time: tying Bitcoin to extreme libertarian views hoping for the downfall of the state. So sad. Bitcoin had such potential in other arenas.

Perhaps I should read it and offer a constructive critique?
...Or maybe not. I've already been accused of being a Masochist.

I honestly think Bitcoin's greatest potential is with clearly failed states.
Rudd-O (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 09:51:38 PM

My suggestion to advance in pretty much any field or endeavor is: let's just ignore anyone who says "X can't / shouldn't be done" and do it anyway.  These crab bucket people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality should just move aside and allow those who are attempting X to succeed.

:-)
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:00:45 PM

My suggestion to advance in pretty much any field or endeavor is: let's just ignore anyone who says "X can't / shouldn't be done" and do it anyway.  These crab bucket people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality should just move aside and allow those who are attempting X to succeed.

:-)

There are opportunity costs to placing focus on something negative, as opposed to positive. I see Africa as a positive phase for Bitcoin to engage in. The U.S, less so.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 10:19:34 PM

In the "The First Steps to Strategy" section, they lay out objectives as though "the problem" is already self-evident and doesn't require explanation. Unfortunately, it does. Skipping this important step makes the work sound dogmatic rather than legitimately trying to solve problems in society.

It's not a manifesto. It's a strategy guide. A "how-to." The "what" and the "why" are assumed to be already understood.

The "what" and the "why", along with a little bit of the "how" can be found in The New Libertarian Manifesto.

Rudd-O (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 10:24:29 PM

Here's my quick, incomplete review:
[...]

Hey there man!  Thanks for your review.  I failed to mention this, but the book is divided in two parts:

1. A quick and cursory review of agorist class theory and libertarian ethical norms (nb: the tax feeder vs tax parasite thing is not really libertarian, that's a mistake of the author -- it's agorist).  The author just states them in Cliff's Notes form -- he's not trying to persuade you, as he assumes you can look these up in the appropriate treatises.  This book sort of assumes that you agree with these principles upfront.  But you don't need to agree with them -- you can still derive utility from the second part.

2. Strategies and tactics to bring about a parallel society (a Second Realm, if you will, thus the name of the book) in compliance with non-violent ethical norms, based on experiences derived from other parallel societies.  This is, for me, the most useful and practical part.  How to evade taxes safely, how to develop strong trust networks outside the system, how to protect life and limb against statist threats, how to operate in the Second Realm undetected, et cetera.  You know the drill.

That's what the book is about.  Should Bitcoin become contraband in the future, the book outlines effective strategies to carry on without caring about that, and these will be useful whether you're an agorist or not.

Now, I know you disagree with Libertarian theories, from reading your review.  I suggest you don't let that sabotage the utility you may derive from it.
Rudd-O (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 10:24:59 PM

In the "The First Steps to Strategy" section, they lay out objectives as though "the problem" is already self-evident and doesn't require explanation. Unfortunately, it does. Skipping this important step makes the work sound dogmatic rather than legitimately trying to solve problems in society.

It's not a manifesto. It's a strategy guide. A "how-to." The "what" and the "why" are assumed to be already understood.

The "what" and the "why", along with a little bit of the "how" can be found in The New Libertarian Manifesto.

Exactly.

If one buys a Chilton repair guide:

https://i.imgur.com/U5Tqu.png

one is not going to find an extensive and lengthy "car theory" and "a treatise on the benefits of driving a car" chapters at the beginning of the book.  The Chilton's just going to go down to business and show you how to change the damn air filter :-)

This book is the Chilton of voluntaryism and agorism.

(In case you were curious about the Chilton analogy: I have that Chilton book, cos I need to take care of my baby.  She's 30 years old now, and needs more care than newer models.)
Rudd-O (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 11:03:08 PM

As long as we're doing book suggestion day, I will recommend:
Currency wars by rickards
The creature from Jekyll island

Hey, I have suggestion too!

Good ones.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 11:04:04 PM

Someone with a very detailed psychosis successfully trolled a bunch of people with less detailed psychoses.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: