Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:47:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoind json rpc client question  (Read 982 times)
cr0wX (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 02:42:45 AM

hi, i'm new at bitcoins and i have a question about json rpc and bitcoind. how long does it take to move coins from one account to another? e.g. if i have the accounts a with a balance of 10 btc and b with a balance of 0 btc and i first execute the command move(a,b,10) and then sendfrom (b,xxx,10) i get an insufficient funds error. how long does it take until the coins are available for sending in account b?

thanks for your answers
crow
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 02:45:03 AM

what does getbalance say?

EDIT: Move within the same bitcoind should be instant.
cr0wX (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 02:48:49 AM

thanks for your reply. strange i get "failed to open http request" when i do this. strange thing is when i execute the send from after some moments it works. and get balance shows the amount properly.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 02:57:14 AM

thanks for your reply. strange i get "failed to open http request" when i do this. strange thing is when i execute the send from after some moments it works. and get balance shows the amount properly.

are you using rpc on the same box or a remote box?

are you setting the time to lock on walletpassphrase long enough?
cr0wX (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 11:44:32 AM

are you using rpc on the same box or a remote box?
it's running on the same machine.

are you setting the time to lock on walletpassphrase long enough?

the wallet isn't encrypted.

thanks for your reply.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 11:50:19 PM

gweedo,

Could you explain how web app on one box and bitcoind on another box increases security.

If the web app box is compromised, attacker still has full access to the bitcoind through  rpc?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 12:37:22 AM

you mean "time limited" so that only some many send commands can be sent in a limited about of time?

Do you also limit the amounts that can be send via rpc.

Your logic about the bitcoind box only being accessible from the web app box is not really a security feature as the attacker who compromised the web box, can still access the bitcoind box.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 12:59:23 AM

I'm not questioning your ability. I'm trying to have a discussion about bitcoin security which is not a bad conversation to be having.  I just don't see the security benefit of separating front end web service and back end bitcoind on two boxes and though you might have some insight.

I do think dedicated, physical servers, locked cages, hardware security device for private keys and cold storage, with multiple encrypted back up  for 90% of any coin over a certain level is the best practice for significant amounts of coin regardless of the number of boxes you are running. 

Thanks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: