Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:49:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you buy on bitcoin Friday?  (Read 3699 times)
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 02:19:09 PM

Just curious. I bought my first pair of llama wool socks.  Grin

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2012, 02:24:36 PM

Budder... Smiley

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2012, 03:14:34 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=123251.0

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 03:41:30 PM

Bought a bunch of gifts from Bees Brothers.

(Was going to buy something from another well-known vendor, but this time, even with the discount the pricing was not competitive. Considering, how much trouble and expense it still is for an average person to get Bitcoin, it's crazy to spend it, unless there are real savings over traditional payment.

Right now, non-miners still have to pay at the very least 2%+ to middlemen to use B to shop, which is mighty close to cc overhead OR MORE, depending on what the merchant does with the payment.

The promise of cheaper transaction costs is still an empty advertising gimmick...)  Sad

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 10:26:25 PM

Right now, non-miners still have to pay at the very least 2%+ to middlemen to use B to shop, which is mighty close to cc overhead OR MORE, depending on what the merchant does with the payment.

In the U.S. is the ACH bank network in which most transactions have no fee.  The problem is that the transactions can be reversed simply by claiming the transfer was not authorized.

Dwolla is a payment network that uses ACH.  Mt. Gox and Camp BX are two exchanges that accept Dwolla account transfers to fund an exchange account.  The total cost by Dwolla is $0.25 per transaction.  Then the coins can be bought at the market rate.   With Camp BX if you are patient you might even be able to buy below spot as an aggressive seller may come down to your price.

Coinbase is another ACH-based exchange available in the U.S.  They charge a 1% fee and their price is at or real near (fraction of a percent of) current market price.

On the #bitcoin-otc marketplace I can often find a trade to buy or sell bitcoins at the current market rate. 

The promise of cheaper transaction costs is still an empty advertising gimmick...)  Sad

Well, that's here in limited areas but we will be seeing more.

Here's an example today:

$300 voucher for airfare, you pay $281 worth of bitcoins:
 - http://www.bitmit.net/en/trade/i/8634-300-american-airlines-e-gift-cards/seller_info

$100 AT&T prepaid wireless, you pay $95 worth of bitcoins:
 - http://www.bitmit.net/en/trade/i/2846-100-at-t-gophone-prepaid-wireless-refill-card

The reason they can offer this is because the vouchers are available wholesale.  Most retailers have to charge face value because of the payment network fees and the risk of subsequent chargeback.    When accepting bitcoins for payment, neither of these are a factor.

Bitcoin Store sells electronics ... I've checked the prices on several couple items, they were competitive with Amazon and Newegg and cheaper in a couple instances, especially after factoring in the shipping which is free for orders $100 and up.

Now as a person who earned bitcoins (e.g., provided goods and services and got paid in bicoins, or won big at SatoshiDICE), then cashing out to fiat incurs costs and delays.  For that person, even if the bitcoin merchant sets prices with no discount for bitcoin, that merchant still can earn the business as it then becomes the most convenient method for that person to spend the coins.

So the logic is sound -- merchants receive an economic benefit when accepting bitcoins (ranging from 3% on up depending on their situation -- specifically regarding chargebacks) and these merchants can use that benefit to increase their market share by being able to offer lower prices.

I drive past a corner with two gas stations.  One is cash only and charges fifteen cents a gallon less than the one across the street where credit and debit cards are accepted.  One station is busy all the time and the other is busy only during the morning and afternoon rush hours.  That fifteen cents is about 4% of the purchase price.  People will patronize one business over the other to save a couple percent.

Bitcoin gives an edge.   For some period of time, the merchants that start taking advantage of this will have a competitive advantage over their peers.  It starts out slowly but it scan spread quickly once it catches on.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:44:17 PM

Dwolla is a payment network that uses ACH.  Mt. Gox and Camp BX are two exchanges that accept Dwolla account transfers to fund an exchange account.  The total cost by Dwolla is $0.25 per transaction.  Then the coins can be bought at the market rate.   With Camp BX if you are patient you might even be able to buy below spot as an aggressive seller may come down to your price.
After the TradeHill disaster, the only thing i want from Dwolla is for them to go bankrupt. If "it's all about me" for you, and it doesn't matter over whose corpses a business with which you deal stepped over, that's a whole another problem...  Cheesy

I'll check CampBX next time, and hop around the myriad of other exchanges, maybe even go through the hassle that #bitcoin-otc is for Bitcoin regulars, not to mention the average consumer...  Roll Eyes

Coinbase does work pretty smooth, except for the week-long wait. So, there is 1%+ a shopper would pay to the middlemen of Bitcoin.

Then we add the 1-2.49% i paid to BitPay, which the merchant naturally passed on to me in the item price. So, i was up to 2-3.49%+  Huh Welcome to credit card charges parity in the Bitcoin world! ...not to mention all of my time to buy Bitcoins, transfer them around, etc...

Bitcoin gives an edge.   For some period of time, the merchants that start taking advantage of this will have a competitive advantage over their peers.  It starts out slowly but it scan spread quickly once it catches on.
Right, so the edge that Bitcoin gives them, at least some of them are using against the consumer, after he went to all the expense and trouble of acquiring Bitcoin.

I checked Coinabul prices, for example, which if i understood right was one of the organizers of this event.
Even with the discount, Coinabul was ~1B more expensive on the same 1oz silver coin with shipping than one of their giant competitors, such as Ampex, with all of its processing overhead.

So, while Bees Brothers service is top notch, the Bitcoin Black Friday Sale was really not worthwhile to me. I can get the same stuff cheaper, with less hassle using a credit card and such. I won't participate again, until i see real deals, price-match guarantees, and the "Bitcoin edge" is not being used again me.  Cheesy

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 11:01:25 PM

Bitcoins!  Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 11:34:51 PM

Jewels.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 10:05:11 PM

Just arrived today..

Bitcoin Coffee, and All Things luxury

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:52:17 AM

I bought GameJackel from slysoft.

RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 02:46:31 PM

Ooo. My socks came today and I have never been more excited about socks.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
SimpleMan

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:33:14 PM

They look pretty comfy

uk1
Copper Member

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW