Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:15:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghetto Style AC unit. Custom Cooling Inc.  (Read 5450 times)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 01:30:47 AM

Nice, I need one of these. Perhaps cards like the 7970 can benefit from these, cooler environments call for lower power consumption.

What?  No.  Ugh.  You completely missed the point.  Smiley  It's horribly inefficient and costs more than an AC unit in power.

Hey, I didn't write that!  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
superfastkyle

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 06:37:04 AM

4" exhaust? no way are you crazy? I used 4 walmart box fans, two windows open (one intake one exhaust to cool a little over 4000 watts of gpu's. for 5500 watts you would probably need a 1/8 hp 24" exhaust fan at least, with active cooling you would be looking at a 20000 btu a/c

Well, I'm using a dryer circuit to power everything. So, I have a 4" dryer exhaust right there that would be really handy to use.

It's a rental property, so I'd rather not make any permanent modifications, and there aren't any windows near the the laundry area to put a bigger exhaust fan in.

I'm thinking a 4" exhaust is too little for ~5500 of power in a small enclosed space without something else to help with the temperatures.

I already have the water chiller laying around, so I'm leaning towards a water cooled intake rather than putting in an A/C unit.

Plus, water cooling is more efficient than an A/C, so I technically I will be able to cool more with a smaller power bill.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 06:58:53 AM

4" exhaust? no way are you crazy? I used 4 walmart box fans, two windows open (one intake one exhaust to cool a little over 4000 watts of gpu's. for 5500 watts you would probably need a 1/8 hp 24" exhaust fan at least, with active cooling you would be looking at a 20000 btu a/c

I'm pretty sure I can make it work. It is running 24x7 stable right now with no exhaust and only a few house fans blowing air over them. The central A/C is doing most of the work.

The only reason I'm adding cooling is so that I can over clock & take a little bit of the load off the central A/C which is running almost 24/7. Temps are getting up to 75-80 though and I don't want to OC unless I can keep temps <75
superfastkyle

Activity: 437

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 07:52:29 AM

well good luck with that then I wouldn't want the extra strain on mine or that high of an electric bill. All I know is from my experience 4000 watts plus another 60 or so amps for a 2 ton central a/c is about $550 a month here and that's at $0.08/kwh

I'm pretty sure I can make it work. It is running 24x7 stable right now with no exhaust and only a few house fans blowing air over them. The central A/C is doing most of the work.

The only reason I'm adding cooling is so that I can over clock & take a little bit of the load off the central A/C which is running almost 24/7. Temps are getting up to 75-80 though and I don't want to OC unless I can keep temps <75
poon-TANG

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 10:38:27 PM

well good luck with that then I wouldn't want the extra strain on mine or that high of an electric bill. All I know is from my experience 4000 watts plus another 60 or so amps for a 2 ton central a/c is about $550 a month here and that's at $0.08/kwh

Kinda plows your ROI out the window if your just putting it back into power bills.
joshv06

Activity: 991
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:13:57 AM

Nice, I need one of these. Perhaps cards like the 7970 can benefit from these, cooler environments call for lower power consumption.

What?  No.  Ugh.  You completely missed the point.  Smiley  It's horribly inefficient and costs more than an AC unit in power.

Ooo XD Then I'll just stick with AC Units or wait for the cool air to come in Cheesy

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 04:19:50 PM

Kinda plows your ROI out the window if your just putting it back into power bills.

You're like the 3rd person to say something like that so I suppose I'll respond.

If you'd read the thread, you'd notice that I'm in the process of figuring out my ventilation and cutting down on A/C use....

Thanks for the advice though lol.
poon-TANG

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 02:33:20 AM

You're like the 3rd person to say something like that so I suppose I'll respond.

If you'd read the thread, you'd notice that I'm in the process of figuring out my ventilation and cutting down on A/C use....

Thanks for the advice though lol.

Hey I'm not knockin your ideas I was just responding to what superfastkyle was saying
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 01:40:16 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2012, 02:15:49 PM by CoinHoarder

No problem.. I can be mr grumpy pants sometimes.  Grin

I will show you guys after I get it set up. I will certainly have a cooling system like no one on here has probably used before, so I understand you guys doubting its capabilities. I'll be cooling about 15000 watts by the time the project is completed, using water cooled air intakes and a couple exhaust fans to cool everything (hopefully less than 750 watts of ventilation/cooling if things go as planned.)

I'm still working out the specifics and don't even have all the necessary hardware, I'm probably about a month out from finishing the project. Hoping to reach about 25 Gh for all the hardware, which will be mining alt coins (LTC, etc).

This + my day job = busy month!
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 01:49:56 AM

Meh.  Have fun with that.  Smiley  What you're describing is is something that already exists in a more efficient form and is used all over the place in desert climates.  Water cooled intakes = an evaporative cooler.  If you use ice with it (like in the original post), you're just blending air conditioning with an evaporative cooler (and still takes a similar amount of power as AC).

I'm currently cooling 33,000 watts of GPUs while using 602 watts or less to cool them (evaporative coolers in the spring/summer, fans in the fall/winter).  It doesn't get much more efficient than that.

...in other words, what was used in the original post is just "reinventing the wheel".  It's a cheap way to make a horribly inefficient evaporative cooler and would work "in a pinch", but it wouldn't work very well for removing a lot of heat effectively.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 01:54:17 AM

annnnnnd I just realized you weren't the OP.   Grin

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 01:57:21 AM

Neat idea, I would like to see something similar to this but using dry ice.

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 07:13:52 AM

I will show you guys after I get it set up. I will certainly have a cooling system like no one on here has probably used before, so I understand you guys doubting its capabilities. I'll be cooling about 15000 watts by the time the project is completed, using water cooled air intakes and a couple exhaust fans to cool everything (hopefully less than 750 watts of ventilation/cooling if things go as planned.)

I'm still working out the specifics and don't even have all the necessary hardware, I'm probably about a month out from finishing the project. Hoping to reach about 25 Gh for all the hardware, which will be mining alt coins (LTC, etc).

If your plan is to follow the idea of the OP, then you already fail. But i will let you learn the hard way.

Some of you guys must have failed physic terribly in grade school.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 02:29:23 PM

If your plan is to follow the idea of the OP, then you already fail. But i will let you learn the hard way.

Sigh... I have to say it, you are a fucking retard.

Learn to read, god damn. No, I am not using OPs link.

How about you fucking read and pay attention before you start judging others blindly and open your mouth like an idiot.

Leave the conversation here to people who actually read what other people say, kthnx.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 02:32:52 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2012, 02:54:48 PM by CoinHoarder

Meh.  Have fun with that.  Smiley  What you're describing is is something that already exists in a more efficient form and is used all over the place in desert climates.  Water cooled intakes = an evaporative cooler.  If you use ice with it (like in the original post), you're just blending air conditioning with an evaporative cooler (and still takes a similar amount of power as AC).

I'm currently cooling 33,000 watts of GPUs while using 602 watts or less to cool them (evaporative coolers in the spring/summer, fans in the fall/winter).  It doesn't get much more efficient than that.

...in other words, what was used in the original post is just "reinventing the wheel".  It's a cheap way to make a horribly inefficient evaporative cooler and would work "in a pinch", but it wouldn't work very well for removing a lot of heat effectively.

Can you explain more about your ventilation/cooling setup. Cooling 33,000 watts of GPUs with 602 watts is impressive.

BTW- I added some padding into my 750 watt estimate. Really, all I'll be running is a 360 watt water cooler and 180 watts in exhaust fans, so it should be much lower than that.

annnnnnd I just realized you weren't the OP.   Grin

You are not the only person that seem to think this, no problem lol.
Sitarow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 04:04:00 PM

Wow harsh.... That type of attitude erodes any attempt to maintain the community spirit of sharing...

However with that said. The intent of the topic is to open up discussions on examples of what people are doing to deal with their environmental issues.

Since you are so outspoken about efficiency, why not share your setup with the community here? Pictures _ Diagrams  Smiley
Nemesis

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:33:31 AM

Wow harsh.... That type of attitude erodes any attempt to maintain the community spirit of sharing...

However with that said. The intent of the topic is to open up discussions on examples of what people are doing to deal with their environmental issues.

Since you are so outspoken about efficiency, why not share your setup with the community here? Pictures _ Diagrams  Smiley

This has been covered so many times( Back then when we still have ppl with knowledge like D&T)

I'm shocked when a terrible idea takes 2 pages on this forums.

You want to know the most efficient way to cool a system? Use mother earth energy, .... thermal energy ( Use geothermal heat dump)

Nemesis

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:37:01 AM

Sigh... I have to say it, you are a fucking retard.

Learn to read, god damn. No, I am not using OPs link.

How about you fucking read and pay attention before you start judging others blindly and open your mouth like an idiot.

Leave the conversation here to people who actually read what other people say, kthnx.

The only retard is you who somehow thought you have found a way to cool that 5500watts of yours from this thread.

Maybe you should fcking go to school first.
Sitarow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:53:15 AM

For one of my sites, (4400 watts GPU power = 13Gh/s) I use this barn fan.

(source link)

It is effective even in summer at maintaining the indoor ambient temperature range between 20-22 degrees Celsius.

This is true if ambient temps outside don't go over 30 Celsius.

Cooling cost usage is at 160-180 watts.

Moving / purging the heated air 3200 CFM alone is rather effective.
Nemesis

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:30:39 AM

For one of my sites, (4400 watts GPU power = 13Gh/s) I use this barn fan.

(source link)

It is effective even in summer at maintaining the indoor ambient temperature range between 20-22 degrees Celsius.

This is true if ambient temps outside don't go over 30 Celsius.

Cooling cost usage is at 160-180 watts.

Moving / purging the heated air 3200 CFM alone is rather effective.

If you're simply using air, then remember .... lower volume = more air thro exchangers.

By volume, i mean the volume of the heatsource.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: