Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:00:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoins hacked  (Read 1206 times)
aslike (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 04:40:53 PM

Why is bitcoins the new target for hackers ? perhaps it shows how much value bitcoins holds these days compare to other e-currency such as liberty reserve etc ..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:12:43 PM

Because they are fast to transfer, easy to obfuscate and cannot be seized by anyone.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
benco

Activity: 29

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 08:42:24 PM

because people are too lazy to use offline wallets  Smiley
BitcoinOxygen

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 03:50:51 AM

Why is bitcoins the new target for hackers ? perhaps it shows how much value bitcoins holds these days compare to other e-currency such as liberty reserve etc ..

Bitcoin cannot be a target for hackers as long as people use offline wallets.

BTCOxygen PPS Mining Pool 2% Fee  <<<  Join Now
BitcoinOxygen

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 03:52:00 AM

because people are too lazy to use offline wallets  Smiley

If you are too lazy to use offline wallets you can loose all your bitcoins.

BTCOxygen PPS Mining Pool 2% Fee  <<<  Join Now
SurReality89

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 06:08:13 AM

i thought all bitcoins must always be on the network, and accounts are all on the network on the Internet. my idea was have a wallet on a flashdrive was actually just a password on the flashdrive to access the account that is inevitably on the network. i guess i am wrong?

how elso can certain websites tell your exactly how many Bitcoins are available at any given time???
Litecoin Gold Trust

Activity: 39

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 06:29:16 AM

i thought all bitcoins must always be on the network, and accounts are all on the network on the Internet. my idea was have a wallet on a flashdrive was actually just a password on the flashdrive to access the account that is inevitably on the network. i guess i am wrong?

how elso can certain websites tell your exactly how many Bitcoins are available at any given time???
Two important facts.

• Wallets don't hold bitcoins. Bitcoins are "stored" in the blockchain. A wallet contains addresses and keys that allow you to spend the bitcoins owned by addresses.
  • All transactions are recorded in the block chain. If anyone wants to know how much BTC an address owns, they just add up all the transactions for that address.

Though storing the wallet on an encrypted flash drive is more secure than storing your wallet on your computer, it is still possible to be hacked because there are times when your computer has direct access to your wallet.. An offline wallet (using Armory) is even more secure because the connection between your computer and your wallet is you physically carrying data from one to the other.
SurReality89

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 06:43:58 AM

so it is literally impossible to hack it? people can't still hack the address even though you personally keep it on a flashdrive? i need to look into this more i guess Wink

but i find it pretty hard to believe that its impossible to hack someones bitcoins when the address is offline, although i undoubtedly believe it would be significantly more difficult...

i don't know much about hacking, but i would think if a hack could get into some some company or universities remote access into a massive amount of computer during their closed hours they could just get a bunch of computers mining bitcoins... i know a typical computer can't mine many coins without expensive equipment, but if you have 1000's of computers mining at once wouldn't that be equal to using some kind of minirig from BFL to mine--plus you wouldn't have to pay for the electricity or if you end up frying a bunch of CPUs.

this seems easier to me, but i'm not a hacker so idk... but i would think if you could get a keylogger on a admin computer you could get access to the remote access they already have in the network.
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 06:48:36 AM

Think of the wallet as something like one of those programs that stores all of your passwords. It stores addresses (which have some amount of bitcoins associated with them) and their corresponding private keys (which let you spend whatever bitcoins you have). You can receive bitcoins at an address not in your wallet; you just need to add that address's private key when you want to spend whatever you receive. So long as you have a copy of all of your private keys, you could wipe out your wallet and not lose anything.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
Litecoin Gold Trust

Activity: 39

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 06:59:45 AM

Also, there are no "accounts". There are just addresses and keys.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 10:28:39 AM

because they have value
look around in the world, stuff of value gets stolen/hacked for all the time...

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196

Another block in the wall

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 10:59:27 PM

Bitcoin was created by hackers for hackers. Scammers are a different set of folks.

In Cryptography we trust.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: