Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:02:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MasterCard Credit Card With Display & Keypad  (Read 1975 times)
Liquid (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 09:47:06 AM

MasterCard have worked with Standard Chartered in a new credit card that sports a built-in display and touch-sensitive keypad. The card itself is being touted as an interactive payment card, or security token card, featuring the credit card company's Display Card technology.

The display and keypad will allow the cardholder to generate a one-time password that can be used as an authentication security measure. MasterCard have said that future revisions will be capable of displaying things like available card balance, loyalty and reward points, recent transactions and other interactive information.

The card will become a standard issue item for all Standard Chartered Online Banking and Breeze Mobile Banking users starting January 2013. The card will become very useful for high-risk transactions such as payments or transfers above a certain amount of when adding third-party payees.

Also, all MasterCard Super Salary, XtraSaver and Bonus$aver debit cards issued in Singapore will be converted over to the new Display cards. The company have unfortunately not said if these cards would be issued out in other countries.

Source

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Liquid (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 04:49:31 PM

Sorry put it in wrong section

See what the competition is up too

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 06:39:44 PM

Hm, I always thought credit card companies like the fact that other then with cash peolple dont know exactly how much credit they have available to spend and thus tend to spend more. No with tha current balance displayed, that would change.
Fcx35x10

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 12:45:14 AM

that's pretty sick  Grin
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 04:15:26 AM

That does seem to add security against card theft, but doesn't address identity theft. Still, it will be a nice feature for good old plastic.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 06:24:23 AM

My bank's been offering a token generator for years on both my normal debit card account and my Mastercard account and I can set all transactions to require a token if I want.  By default, new payees, change of details, changing my transaction limit and a few other things I've probably forgotten all require a token.

I guess being able to get your card to show you its balance is a cute feature, but most people can easily get that information on their phone through either phone banking or net banking if they happen to be away from their computer and nowhere near their ATM.

I also wonder about the durability of the cards and how they'll stand up to being taken in and out of wallets all the time, going through washing machines, etc.

It's a cute gimmick, but I'm not sure that it really offers people anything which isn't already available to them.  Interestingly, that particular card doesn't seem to be PayPass enabled.  I wonder if merchants are going to hate it because it will slow down transaction times.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: