Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2014, 01:25:43 PM *
News: Due to the OpenSSL heartbleed bug, changing your forum password is recommended.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't believe everything you read on blockchain.info about block sources  (Read 27705 times)
gmaxwell

Activity: 1078

View Profile

Ignore
November 11, 2012, 05:56:57 PM

People seem to be frequently confused because they misunderstand blockchain.info. Let me spell this out:

There is no realistic way to know for sure who created a block. Even when pools put their name into the block itself (as some do) that doesn't stop someone else from putting the same string in.

Blockchain.info displays the origin of blocks by _guessing_ based on some simple rules on text in the coinbase and  which node first handed them the block.

If they are connected to an especially fast and well connected relay they will falsely report it as being the 'source' of many blocks.  This doesn't mean that this relay is a big miner, or that they're attacking the network, or anything like that. An example of this is the Swiss node at 82.130.102.160 but there have been a number of similar misattribution addresses in the past.

People freaking out over these misconceptions will now be shot. Please take a note of it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unbeatable Service & Product Support
Grab Your Miners at GAWMiners.com
Order Before April 25th to receive
Double your Hashing Power for 1 week!

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SebastianJu

Activity: 672

View Profile

Ignore
November 11, 2012, 06:04:34 PM

This thread should contain some keywords otherwise there will popup threads only because this thread cant be found:

Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
swiss institute
eth zurich

Escrow Service / Treuhandservice: No fee, but donations are welcome for sure Smiley Only send to the address i send you directly! / Keine Gebühr, Spenden sind natürlich willkommen Smiley Nur an die Adresse schicken die ich persönlich geschickt habe! | My Tip-Jar: 1Dk4Zc8iqurCTqbc1RtUkx3Wcr9bXLYyCT - Thanks a lot!
spiccioli

Activity: 980

nec sine labore

View Profile

Ignore
November 22, 2012, 07:19:17 AM

Let's add

miner bot
stealth miner
mistery miner

Smiley

spiccioli
niko

Activity: 742

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile

Ignore
November 22, 2012, 07:38:32 AM

With all due respect to piuk, the wording on blockchain.info should be more precise regarding these issues. In fact, many graphs in there leave lot to be desired when it comes to documentation and design.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Roy Badami

Activity: 391

View Profile

Ignore
December 16, 2012, 10:42:47 PM

What about http://blockorigin.pfoe.be/ ?

That screenscrapes the pool websites to see which pool claims credit for the block - I tend to assume it's pretty accurate, though obviously if two (or more) pool operators were to collude to lie about the origin of their blocks it would be difficult to detect.

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78391.0 for previous discussion.
gigavps
VIP

Activity: 1022

View Profile

Ignore
December 22, 2012, 12:32:10 PM

They still miss some pools who don't publish their results at all like coinlab.com and abcpool.co. I've received recently generated coins from coinlab so I know they are no passing on the hashing power and abcpool has said that they sometimes mine on their own bitcoind.
martychubbs

Activity: 476

wiki distributed computing @MartyChubbs

View Profile WWW

Ignore
January 03, 2013, 03:01:29 PM

They still miss some pools who don't publish their results at all like coinlab.com and abcpool.co. I've received recently generated coins from coinlab so I know they are no passing on the hashing power and abcpool has said that they sometimes mine on their own bitcoind.

I use a tool that is part of bitHopper 0.3.1.6 called lpworkbench that scrapes blockchain.info and pools websites.  It is the best for verified blocks...

PM me if you would like a copy of my poolblocks.cfg 

vtc.ProjectXPPS.com - Vertcoin's 1st PPS Pool...afaik Wink
kinlo

Activity: 260

Pool operator of Triplemining.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
March 04, 2013, 05:17:59 PM

Coinlab has been added to blockorigin some time ago.

ABCPool is not a pool, it is a proxy to other pools, therefore it does not find blocks

Join this pool for mining.  Only pool to reward a jackpot weekly!  Like my post?
peewee

Activity: 42

View Profile

Ignore
March 19, 2013, 09:29:43 AM

so Static Ip 66.207.163.137 registered to data center Cologuys isn't mining?  That Ip is attributed to over half of BTC guilds discoveries as of late.

Anybody want to wager whether its a legit use or some inappropriate abuse of their equipment.   Static IP suggests strongly that the blocks are being hashed at that location unless its being misreported?
SebastianJu

View Profile

Ignore
March 19, 2013, 12:38:26 PM

so Static Ip 66.207.163.137 registered to data center Cologuys isn't mining?  That Ip is attributed to over half of BTC guilds discoveries as of late.

Anybody want to wager whether its a legit use or some inappropriate abuse of their equipment.   Static IP suggests strongly that the blocks are being hashed at that location unless its being misreported?

As far as i understand it is possible that this is a very fast node connected to many other nodes. So if he gets informed of a new block mined by btcguild he informs a big part of the network very fast. Faster than btcguild itself. blockchain.info's-node is informed by it too. So that blockchain.info thinks this ip mined the block because he got the info from there first.

Escrow Service / Treuhandservice: No fee, but donations are welcome for sure Smiley Only send to the address i send you directly! / Keine Gebühr, Spenden sind natürlich willkommen Smiley Nur an die Adresse schicken die ich persönlich geschickt habe! | My Tip-Jar: 1Dk4Zc8iqurCTqbc1RtUkx3Wcr9bXLYyCT - Thanks a lot!
roy7

Activity: 350

View Profile

Ignore
May 14, 2013, 04:46:01 AM

blockchain.info's-node is informed by it too. So that blockchain.info thinks this ip mined the block because he got the info from there first.

blockchain only reports that IP relayed it first, I thought, not that the IP mined it? It even says right on the column "Relayed by".

RoyalMiningCo: TRC Pool (DGM, freshly minted coins) - VTC P2Pool (USA West) - VTC P2Pool (USA East) - UNO P2Pool (USA East) - BTC P2Pool (USA East)
SebastianJu

View Profile

Ignore
May 14, 2013, 07:38:47 AM

blockchain.info's-node is informed by it too. So that blockchain.info thinks this ip mined the block because he got the info from there first.

blockchain only reports that IP relayed it first, I thought, not that the IP mined it? It even says right on the column "Relayed by".

Yes, youre right. I think i only meant that blockchain.info doesnt have a chance to find the real creator of the block. At least as long as its not coming from a known ip or the block has a marked coinbase.

robodog

Activity: 10

View Profile

Ignore
May 30, 2013, 05:48:27 AM

I always wondered about that
Charles999

Activity: 224

View Profile

Ignore
June 15, 2013, 07:28:10 PM

it's not that the chain is bad, it's corrupted
bernard75

Activity: 392

View Profile

Ignore
June 15, 2013, 09:23:10 PM

Those account for less than 8%. I can live with that.

Anonymous reloadable VISAs with own bank account: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216629
dmatthewstewart

Activity: 359

View Profile

Ignore
June 21, 2013, 10:24:57 AM

Thanks OP for the info and threatening to shoot people that dont understand the Swedish starting point. I fully support that.

I also agree with the second reply regarding keywords. So including Swiss bank account, or possibly off-shore, or possibly even anonymous banking may in fact help. It also cant hurt to toss in tax haven.

Anyone that quotes my post will be called Swedish, shown a picture of the flag of Sweden, and then shot

rampalija

Activity: 98

View Profile

Ignore
October 29, 2013, 09:43:48 PM

i have never visited blockchain

virtualmaster

Activity: 392

View Profile

Ignore
December 10, 2013, 08:11:15 PM

People seem to be frequently confused because they misunderstand blockchain.info. Let me spell this out:

There is no realistic way to know for sure who created a block. Even when pools put their name into the block itself (as some do) that doesn't stop someone else from putting the same string in.

Blockchain.info displays the origin of blocks by _guessing_ based on some simple rules on text in the coinbase and  which node first handed them the block.

If they are connected to an especially fast and well connected relay they will falsely report it as being the 'source' of many blocks.  This doesn't mean that this relay is a big miner, or that they're attacking the network, or anything like that. An example of this is the Swiss node at 82.130.102.160 but there have been a number of similar misattribution addresses in the past.

People freaking out over these misconceptions will now be shot. Please take a note of it.

Interesting. But they could put to the pool name a signature of the block no. signed with a key belonging to a published pool address used only to sign the pools blocks. Then it could be solved a 100% identification. At lest until the private key relayed on the server will be not stolen. But this could be also partly solved if the key is not relayed just the pregenerated signatures for a number of blocks.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
Tay

Activity: 16

View Profile

Ignore
December 14, 2013, 11:51:59 AM

Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong I'm a mining newb, but surely proxying much of this data obscures the info Blockchain uses to identify where it "thinks" it has come from? Therefore people should take much of what is claimed or otherwise with a pinch of salt.

Sheldor333

Activity: 126

View Profile

Ignore
December 17, 2013, 12:27:26 PM

Is there some way to fix it? Or is it at such a small proportion that it is not worth fixing?

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.