Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:35:13 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Special paper wallets for use with CueCat (linear barcodes)  (Read 1434 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 10:15:26 PM

Does anyone here have a CueCat they wouldn't mind using to test an idea I have?

Not too long ago I touted the benefits of having a QR code scanner, making it easy to get bitcoins in and out of paper wallets: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105824.0

I recently had the thought that if I were to make paper wallets use a 1D barcode, then this same ability would be well within reach of the average Bitcoin user at the right price.  If it were compatible with the CueCat - the piece of crap barcode scanner whose creation was a mistake and which you can now get for under $10 on eBay - then scanning paper wallets would be simple and affordable for everybody.

The linear (1D) barcode symbology known as "Code 128" has support for mixed-case alphanumerics and a data density that would support holding a bitcoin address and/or a mini private key on a small slip of paper.  I read somewhere that CueCat supports Code 128, but can only read a Code 128 barcode of no more than 19 characters - if true, then paper wallets could be implemented with CueCat on the condition that you have to scan two barcodes.

Another issue is whether the CueCat can scan worth a damn.  I once owned a CueCat and considered it highly difficult to scan normal-sized barcodes with them, let alone ones that push the limit on length.  I think I threw my CueCat in the garbage, in part because any real handheld barcode scanner (even ones you can get on eBay for $100) are far less frustrating to use, and because legacy PS/2 keyboard ports (the kind CueCat uses) are no longer standard fare on many computers.

If anyone's got a CueCat, I'd be interested in providing a PDF containing a couple of barcodes and having you test and see how practical it is to scan them.

If it turns out that 1D barcodes work well for paper wallets, I might throw out the idea of making them "standard issue" or at the very least, an option.  Using 1D barcodes lowers the barrier to entry for what existing equipment could read them, which includes barcode-based coupon-acceptors for existing vending machines.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 10:25:52 PM

I have one... somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 10:44:48 PM

My wife has one.  She won't be willing to part with it (book websites use them for logging books) but I could do some tests if you want.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 10:57:28 PM

You can scan a QR code with a webcam.  It's not $10, but it's pretty close.  And PS/2 CueCats are pretty useless these days.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 11:04:51 PM

You can scan a QR code with a webcam.  It's not $10, but it's pretty close.  And PS/2 CueCats are pretty useless these days.

How does the average user go about using their webcam as keyboard input (as opposed to being limited to applications with this functionality explicitly included)?

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
drewdtom

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

You can't stop the signal

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 11:54:48 PM

FWIW, An Android phone can read a 1D bar code. What I would like to see is one of the wallet apps read a 1D or 2D bar codes and inport the privet key to my phone. The "bitcoin wallet" app will allows you to inport a privet key from the SD card but not by way of the camera.

but I like the idea of installing bar code scanners or coupon reader in vending machines...

What a ride it has been! Check out our Open Bazaar hosting offer at Agorist Hosting

I support Bitcoin Not Bombs!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 12:10:58 AM

How does the average user go about using their webcam as keyboard input (as opposed to being limited to applications with this functionality explicitly included)?

I can scan anything with the camera on my Android smartphone, and do it all the time.  Works great for hunting for resalable treasures at yard sales.  Amazon even offers a specialized app that lets you scan any object's code, and check the price on Amazon.  Every once in a while I'll hit a yard sale where some old biddy is selling off her collection of old books, and if her price is less than half of the "buy it used" price on Amazon, I'll buy it with the intent of offering on Amazon.

There is no reason whatever to favor a $10 dedicated scanning device when it won't be much longer before a majority of cell phones can do this anyway.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 12:12:27 AM

I can scan anything with the camera on my Android smartphone, and do it all the time.  Works great for hunting for resalable treasures at yard sales.  Amazon even offers a specialized app that lets you scan any object's code, and check the price on Amazon.  Every once in a while I'll hit a yard sale where some old biddy is selling off her collection of old books, and if her price is less than half of the "buy it used" price on Amazon, I'll buy it with the intent of offering on Amazon.

There is no reason whatever to favor a $10 dedicated scanning device when it won't be much longer before a majority of cell phones can do this anyway.
Thanks for the heads up! Getting that app now. (Edit: You are referring to ShopSavvy?)
I was very impressed with the barcode scanner on my droid.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 02:31:51 AM

Well, on Linux there is a free app that will do it, but on Windows:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+webcam+qr+code

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2012, 02:40:38 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2012, 11:36:03 AM by paraipan

You can scan a QR code with a webcam.  It's not $10, but it's pretty close.  And PS/2 CueCats are pretty useless these days.

With an android phone and this custom keyboard app, I use it all the time for my paper wallets and all kinds off other stuff.

Edit: Or use the phone as a bluetooth barcode reader

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Littleshop
Legendary

Merit: 1004

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2012, 02:56:02 AM

You can pick up cuecats pretty cheap on ebay, usually less then $15 shipped.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2012, 03:26:25 AM

Well, on Linux there is a free app that will do it, but on Windows:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+webcam+qr+code

-1 for the link to lmgtfy.com.  I find it offensive.

I didn't ask because I wanted someone to facetiously pretend that I need to be taught to Google, but rather, to ask what the folk consensus was regarding the most common / best practice for the average computer user (assuming there is one) and the reasoning behind it.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 07:36:26 AM

FWIW, An Android phone can read a 1D bar code. What I would like to see is one of the wallet apps read a 1D or 2D bar codes and inport the privet key to my phone. The "bitcoin wallet" app will allows you to inport a privet key from the SD card but not by way of the camera.

but I like the idea of installing bar code scanners or coupon reader in vending machines...

gox app can do it (I think: -->voucher-->redeem-->lense)

Smartphone app is better than hardware scanner because everyone has a smartphone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: