Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:01:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Features for 'Armory Pro'  (Read 950 times)
Ente (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 03:27:50 PM

Hello Armory fans,

there is a lack on info on Armory, pay-version and/or free-version, features and costs.
Let's change that with collecting individual user opinions! :-)

Would you pay for a future Armory version? How much?
- Yes, up to the price of hardware-wallets for example.

What features would be must-have, or no deal?
- Offline signing
- Fragmented backup
- No central [Armory] server has my IP or personal info
- Open source

What other, new feature would you love?
- I would pay good money for a full-Armory-compatible hardware wallet ("Trezor + multiple Armory wallets")
- Connect my local Armory to my server where the 2 blockchains are stored and updated

Ente
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 04:39:21 PM

Yes, but only toward a crowdfunding style fund that releases open-source code freely to all once a target is reached, or some other viable model for open source. Paying for closed source cryptocurrency software is out of the question.

- Offline signing
- Fragmented backup
- Open source

All of those, I'm confident there's a way to include all of those features.  Smiley

- I would pay good money for a full-Armory-compatible hardware wallet ("Trezor + multiple Armory wallets")
- Connect my local Armory to my server where the 2 blockchains are stored and updated

I would like both those features also. For personal preference, I would also request goatpig's suggested ~2GB overhead to the new database format to allow transaction sorting, and also coin control that permits selection of individual outputs.

Vires in numeris
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 08:26:37 PM

Yes, but we need to clarify the exact method. One-time fee for unlimited and forever access or subscription based.
- Offline signing
- Fragmented backup
- Open source

How would open source work considering this?
Ente

This!

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:21:01 PM

Yes, but we need to clarify the exact method. One-time fee for unlimited and forever access or subscription based.

You can't really sell OSS. Whichever way you look at it this model defeats conventional payment methods.

Yes, but only toward a crowdfunding style fund that releases open-source code freely to all once a target is reached...

This is the only sane way of doing this. Ideally I would like it to be community driven too. Users put together a list of features they want, devs give them a time estimate and they agree on target for each feature. Another revenue stream would be plugins. Say an exchange wants to integrate with us to manage coins straight from our GUI. They pay us to develop the plugin, release it to their customers and we get a one time commission per user.

All that being said, our real calling is still with enterprise customers and support contracts. Whichever way you look at it, our open source version is really for showcasing and testing/reviewing the code base. Not much revenue to get there.

Ente

I played around with Ledger on our BIP32 branch. Trezor is definitely easier to implement. I'm currently working on the litenode interface.

- Offline signing
- Fragmented backup
- Open source

It makes no sense to keep any non enterprise specific features off the free version. Personally I think we should open source everything. Makes for better publicity than we got actually. We have over a year of enterprise solution development and essentially no one that version even exists, let alone what's in it.

Stroto

Activity: 449
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 12:19:48 PM

What I would like in a pro version...

- fee based on sat per bytes instead of sat per tx (would be awesome if it could check the average sat/bytes at the given moment online)
- bulk transactions (copy paste txt, spreadsheet, or cvs) or standard "saved" transactions. (maybe the possibility of automated transactions like 30% of incoming goes to cold storage just needs confirmation and signing when opening up armory)
- transaction history searchable on addresses of "others" (transaction history for one particular outside address outgoing and ingoing)
- possibility to use multiple windows (example: when making a transaction a new window pops up and you can't move the main window to check on data below that because it is locked. Or sometimes it is needed to check in the transaction history while making a new transaction.) Now that I think of it. Maybe even not a separate window for details or transactions but just in a sidebar or something like that so that all information will always be accessible)
- Not perse linked to blockchain.info but the possibility to use your own fav explorer
pf

Activity: 176
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 07:54:24 PM

As long as I would get my name as a credit on Armory's website (like they do with GnuPG, GPGTools and other software) I would be glad to be an annual donor of $50 to the Armory project. Take that up to $100 or even $1000 if bitcoin does what we hope it does and securing our coins becomes more critical than ever.
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 09:01:02 PM

This is the only sane way of doing this. Ideally I would like it to be community driven too. Users put together a list of features they want, devs give them a time estimate and they agree on target for each feature. Another revenue stream would be plugins. Say an exchange wants to integrate with us to manage coins straight from our GUI. They pay us to develop the plugin, release it to their customers and we get a one time commission per user.

All that being said, our real calling is still with enterprise customers and support contracts. Whichever way you look at it, our open source version is really for showcasing and testing/reviewing the code base. Not much revenue to get there.

This sounds great! Let's do it!

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 01:19:30 AM

Take it easy, we're not at this point yet. Ideally Armory can continue to exist as a business and put out an open source version at the same time.

RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 12:37:19 AM

Take it easy, we're not at this point yet. Ideally Armory can continue to exist as a business and put out an open source version at the same time.

Understood. Thanks for not abandoning us then!  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: