Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:36:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's nominate Chairman Byron Micon for BTC Peace Prize  (Read 1224 times)
Mosrite (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

sealswithclubs.eu

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 10:16:50 PM

Now that some time has passed, and it has become obvious that Byron Micon was 100 percent right about Pirate, Patrick Harnett and all the other scammers on this board, I think it's high time that he is properly acknowledged and feted.

I hereby nominate Byron Micon for the BTC Peace Prize.

learn, chat and play with me at sealswithclubs.eu

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 10:28:15 PM

No. I refuse to worship any man because no man is infallible. Plus it's not like he was the only one who told you so (my ignore button used to be white until I started warning people about pirate).

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Nachtwind

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 10:30:31 PM

Now that some time has passed, and it has become obvious that Byron Micon was 100 percent right about Pirate, Patrick Harnett and all the other scammers on this board, I think it's high time that he is properly acknowledged and feted.

Congratulation for him spotting the obvious AND being a pest while telling people over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again what his opinion was.
Honestly.. that guy was at the best of times a major pain in the ass when it came to reading Pirate-realted posts.
BlackHeartFund

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 08:34:14 PM

Congratulation for him spotting the obvious AND being a pest while telling people over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again what his opinion was.
Honestly.. that guy was at the best of times a major pain in the ass when it came to reading Pirate-realted posts.

Really, a pest? If people had listened to him pirate wouldn't have stolen 5 million bucks. I don't think an award is in order, but I don't see how someone taking time and putting his rep on the line to warn others could possibly be a bad thing,
CharlieContent

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 09:17:39 PM

I dunno about a prize but he definitely deserves some kind of credit. Yes he wasn't the first, he wasn't the only one, but he was the most vocal and he suffered an extreme backlash from a large proportion of the community.

The funny thing is, some victims of Pirate are still calling him an asshole for trying to warn them.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2012, 09:20:01 PM

I wrote: "Smells like a classical HYIP scam" right after he created the thread.

Where is my price?  Roll Eyes
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 10:02:38 PM

No. I refuse to worship any man because no man is infallible. Plus it's not like he was the only one who told you so (my ignore button used to be white until I started warning people about pirate).

Your ignore button IS white. No harm done.  Wink
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 11:40:02 PM

Ahh, the infamous Micon, well he certainly wasn't afraid to speak his mind and under constant bombardment, stick with it. I think he should be recognized for that.

But, there's an issue I'd like to raise...

Yes true, if people had listened to Micon, pirate wouldn't of stolen as many coins.
But, in a twist of irony, if people hadn't listened to Micon, pirate wouldn't of stolen as many coins.

I firmly believe that Micon constantly warning everyone actually encouraged pirate investment, 'To prove Micon wrong.'
I don't in anyway believe Micon planned this, I believe his concerns were quite geniune to warn people away.

This leaves the big unanswerable question: "Did Micons' activities discourage more investors than he unintentionally encouraged?"

As we can never answer this question, I think it's best we leave any prizes at safe distance away.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 01:36:09 AM

I firmly believe that Micon constantly warning everyone actually encouraged pirate investment, 'To prove Micon wrong.'
I don't in anyway believe Micon planned this, I believe his concerns were quite geniune to warn people away.

This leaves the big unanswerable question: "Did Micons' activities discourage more investors than he unintentionally encouraged?"

As we can never answer this question, I think it's best we leave any prizes at safe distance away.
Absolutely. Not only did he go overboard, he did it without any information. When you show that level of ignorance, of course people would invest in Pirate just to spite you. He completely undermined every single person that claimed that Pirate was a ponzi, to the point where we were called "Team Ponzi". It became dangerous for other people to even hint that they thought that it was a ponzi. So, with the detractors successfully made out as paranoid idiots not much unlikely conspiracy nuts, an apparent community consensus was formed that Pirate was most likely not a ponzi.

Those of us who had information that proved how much Pirate was responsible for and how no business model that could have existed in Bitcoin at the time to make that kind of money was even possible were easily dismissed as Micon-style trolls. Sure, Pirate's supported saw our reasoning, but because of their preconceptions of us, they fought us tooth and nail. Meanwhile, people completely new to bitcoin saw the apparent consenus that Pirate was a safe investment and never saw our arguments. However, if they did, it would have been clear to them that we were just trolling.

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 01:48:23 AM

I will also nominate him. I trolled these scammers (aka borrowers) and idiots (aka lenders) hard. I always called them by their true names.
Micon shows me that I could have trolled them even harder. I'm sorry for my mistake.

Maged
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 02:06:29 AM

I will also nominate him. I trolled these scammers (aka borrowers) and idiots (aka lenders) hard. I always called them by their true names.
Micon shows me that I could have trolled them even harder. I'm sorry for my mistake.
I hate you now, and I don't hate many people. Your lack of understanding that trolling only makes things worse disgusts me.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 04:33:03 AM

Micon shows me that I could have trolled them even harder.

Which would of benefited whom?

cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:19:32 AM

Micon shows me that I could have trolled them even harder.

Which would of benefited whom?0

Whoever lost money on the pirate scheme AND would not have invested had pirate been more aggressively ridiculed. I don't think that is an empty set.
Sadly, acting alone, I may not be influential enough make a difference. That is the free-rider problem.

I think by calling him a troll, you are blaming him for your personal shortcomings. If you had trolled too, then Micon's troll label would not stick.
Micon graciously put himself out there on behalf of everyone else. Let's thank him for it.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:00:05 PM

Those of us who had information that proved how much Pirate was responsible for and how no business model that could have existed in Bitcoin at the time to make that kind of money was even possible were easily dismissed as Micon-style trolls. Sure, Pirate's supported saw our reasoning, but because of their preconceptions of us, they fought us tooth and nail.
They would have found a reason to dismiss or ignore your arguments no matter what happened. Those who put money into these schemes do it because they believe what they want to believe. The only argument that is needed for people who think rationally about it is "If it's too good to be true...", and if they already at the point where they ignore that they will ignore every other argument as well.
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:33:28 PM

Those of us who had information that proved how much Pirate was responsible for and how no business model that could have existed in Bitcoin at the time to make that kind of money was even possible were easily dismissed as Micon-style trolls. Sure, Pirate's supported saw our reasoning, but because of their preconceptions of us, they fought us tooth and nail.
They would have found a reason to dismiss or ignore your arguments no matter what happened. Those who put money into these schemes do it because they believe what they want to believe. The only argument that is needed for people who think rationally about it is "If it's too good to be true...", and if they already at the point where they ignore that they will ignore every other argument as well.

Right, Maged is assuming that the type of people who invested with pirate can be persuaded by rational arguments. This is incorrect. If they could think rationally, then they wouldn't have ever considered a pirate investment. One can however exert influence on these types using derision and ridicule. Trolling is the proper approach because it is the only effective approach.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:55:21 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2012, 01:14:37 PM by Gabi

+1 to Micon, congratulations for speaking the truth despite the insults

to those that lost money due to pirate and "omg 7% per week": LOL

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 07:23:51 PM

Absolutely. Not only did he go overboard, he did it without any information. When you show that level of ignorance, of course people would invest in Pirate just to spite you. He completely undermined every single person that claimed that Pirate was a ponzi, to the point where we were called "Team Ponzi".

That's a fairly convincing rationale that Micon was a pirate account, designed to discredit his detractors. What better way to beat the opposition than to lead it? (pretty sure that's quoting someone)

Vires in numeris
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 02:44:39 AM

Right, Maged is assuming that the type of people who invested with pirate can be persuaded by rational arguments. This is incorrect. If they could think rationally, then they wouldn't have ever considered a pirate investment. One can however exert influence on these types using derision and ridicule. Trolling is the proper approach because it is the only effective approach.
You're also right, doing that might influence the people that can't be influenced rationally. However, in doing so, you discredit yourself and everyone else on your side (or at least make it hard to find any rational information) to the people who are at least semi-rational. Call me an optimist, but I believe that there are more semi-rational people in this world than there are totally irrational people. Or at the very least, semi-rational people are more likely to actually have money, and money is all that matters when it comes to running a ponzi.

Chances are that rational argument won't persuade anyone who has already invested, but unless ridicule can convince enough of them to pull out at the same time, and stay out (good luck with that), that won't stop the ponzi. So, the only reasonable way to stop it is to reduce the inflow of new investors, and the ones with money will most likely be semi-rational. Trolling might temporarily increase outflow, but it will greatly increase inflow.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 03:33:40 AM

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Pages: [1]
  Print