Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:46:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikipedia: "Some criticize Bitcoin for being a Ponzi scheme..."  (Read 8548 times)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 06:14:11 PM

"Some have criticized Bitcoin for being a ham and cheese on rye, but a report issued by the owner of a large delicatessen states that Bitcoin lacks three core features of a ham and cheese on rye, namely ham, cheese, and rye."

+1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 07:53:53 PM

I hope this whole Ponzi thing goes away so that people will be more likely to jump on the Bitcoin bandwagon and I can make money.

Then jump out of the market before it all crashes.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:00:22 PM

After reading that talk page, I have never disliked a person as much as SudoGhost. Wikipedia should make sure their editors have an IQ of at least 80 IMO.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 08:15:52 PM

I think that he has a good IQ, but he is NOT honest, that it's worse.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:19:32 PM

After reading that talk page, I have never disliked a person as much as SudoGhost. Wikipedia should make sure their editors have an IQ of at least 80 IMO.

I have no doubts that his IQ is at least 80.  IQ isn't a measure of intelectual capacity, it's a (poor) metric intended to measure average learning comprehension rates.  For the developmentally delayed.  Any IQ number over 120 or so has no practical meaning.  From what I can see of SudoGhost he is more than capable of quickly learning to rationalize away his critics.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:21:20 PM

He is not dumb, my guess is he just prefers sticking to the rules instead of using logic and common sense.

Does anybody know if there are well-described criteria for judging if a source is reliable or not to wikipedia? (EDIT: NVM, I should learn to do some more googling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability#Reliable_sources )
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 08:27:48 PM

Quote from: SudoGhost
With that said, I can see where "Some criticize Bitcoin for being a Ponzi scheme" can be assumed to have an issue. On the one hand, it is a factual sentence; there are sources that criticize it for this reason, that does not imply that it is a Ponzi scheme, that would be jumping to a conclusion not given by the text. It has been criticized for this, and that's something that is sourced, you can't "un-source" that; no matter what sources you present, it's going to somehow un-criticize Bitcoin, the criticisms are still there, it doesn't matter if you can "prove" with your personal logic and with sources that don't actually support your argument that it isn't one; you're disproving something not relevant. On the other hand, that multiple Bitcoin enthusiasts have misread this sentence thereby repeating the same flawed arguments over and over does indicate that a clarification would help. Perhaps the statement can be clarified to read "Some criticize Bitcoin, accusing it of being a Ponzi scheme." or something similar.

That's much better, because doesn't say "for BEING a Ponzi scheme".

I have no doubts that his IQ is at least 80.  IQ isn't a measure of intelectual capacity, it's a (poor) metric intended to measure average learning comprehension rates.  For the developmentally delayed.  Any IQ number over 120 or so has no practical meaning.  From what I can see of SudoGhost he is more than capable of quickly learning to rationalize away his critics.

Are we talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence ? (CAUTION: non-RS)

Yuhfhrh

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:29:55 PM

He is not dumb, my guess is he just prefers sticking to the rules instead of using logic and common sense.

Does anybody know if there are well-described criteria for judging if a source is reliable or not to wikipedia? (EDIT: NVM, I should learn to do some more googling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability#Reliable_sources )

I assumed his lack of logic and common sense was the result of a low IQ.
Serith (OP)

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:31:54 PM

my guess is he just prefers sticking to the rules instead of using logic and common sense.

Not really, because he applies those rules with bias.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 09:23:51 PM

I should add

Some criticize gold, accusing it of being a Ponzi scheme

to the gold page

because it's exactly the same thing.  Cheesy

Yuhfhrh

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 09:32:54 PM

I should add

Some criticize gold, accusing it of being a Ponzi scheme

to the gold page

because it's exactly the same thing.  Cheesy

But you have enough intelligence to know that it would be silly to do right?
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 09:35:03 PM

Well, it is silly for bitcoin too. So if in the bitcoin page there is that phrase, i want it in the gold page too, since bitcoin and gold have tons of similarities

Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:16:51 PM

I don't know why everyone's so upset about what wikipedia says. Everyone knows that site is just a Ponzi scheme.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:22:28 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2012, 10:57:28 PM by Spaceman_Spiff

I don't know why everyone's so upset about what wikipedia says. Everyone knows that site is just a Ponzi scheme.
Cheesy, thank you sir, for giving me a good laugh.

Is there any reasoning given for not adding the fact that bitcoin does not match several properties of a Ponzi scheme?
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:43:38 PM

I think that he has a good IQ, but he is NOT honest, that it's worse.

SudoGhost is simply a coward. He hides behind the "reliable sources" and refuses to allow any intelligent discussion take place.

Buy & Hold
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 2111

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:49:44 PM

I tried to make an edit to the talk page suggesting a change in wording that wouldn't attempt to remove the Ponzi scheme accusation but to clarify the text so that it didn't directly imply that Bitcoin *is* a Ponzi scheme.

But the page is locked so I needed to create an account

Which is a big pain in the butt. It took about 10 times to create an account since not only are duplicate IDs (hard to avoid) disallowed but also "too similar" user IDs.

Then new users don't get to make changes to locked pages unless they appeal (kinda like the newbie whitelist here)

So I appealed.

And I got denied and told to put my requested change on some page which didn't exist.

So I did.

I got blown off and told that I "wouldn't be a newbie long".

So I gave up.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 11:46:45 PM

I tried to make an edit to the talk page suggesting a change in wording that wouldn't attempt to remove the Ponzi scheme accusation but to clarify the text so that it didn't directly imply that Bitcoin *is* a Ponzi scheme.

But the page is locked so I needed to create an account

Which is a big pain in the butt. It took about 10 times to create an account since not only are duplicate IDs (hard to avoid) disallowed but also "too similar" user IDs.

Then new users don't get to make changes to locked pages unless they appeal (kinda like the newbie whitelist here)

So I appealed.

And I got denied and told to put my requested change on some page which didn't exist.

So I did.

I got blown off and told that I "wouldn't be a newbie long".

So I gave up.

I did hundreds of edits and dozens under my username that I forgot my password for. As more and more articles turned elite-only, I registered a new account that still has only 7 edits (5 in articles, 2 in talk pages discussing why my changes got reverted Wink ). Maybe I should edit some 3 more pages logged in? Are we that short in WP-users here?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
smickles

Activity: 446

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 02:41:46 AM

http://www.encyclopediabitcoinica.com/wiki/Wikipedia

Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 02:54:44 AM

Cheesy You are my new hero!
Yuhfhrh

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 03:00:05 AM

Thanks for that lol
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: