Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:15:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maldives declares state of emergency  (Read 534 times)
zenitzz (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 08:13:44 PM

President’s decree suspends all basic rights and gives sweeping powers to security forces ahead of opposition protest rally

The president of the Maldives has declared a state of emergency, citing a threat to citizens’ safety and national security.

Abdulla Yameen’s decree, which came into effect at midday local time (0700 GMT), suspends all basic rights and gives the security forces sweeping powers to arrest suspects before a major anti-government rally planned later this week.

The main opposition Maldivian Democratic party (MDP), whose leader Mohamed Nasheed is in jail following his conviction earlier this year under anti-terror laws, has organised the protest

The Maldives has suffered acute political instability for several years, but a new cycle of chaos and unrest appears to be intensifying.

“President Yameen has declared state of emergency to ensure the safety and security of every citizen,” his spokesman Muaz Ali tweeted.

In a statement to the nation, Yameen, who took power in a contested election in 2013, said there were groups planning to use weapons and explosives.

“My beloved citizens, I assure you, that in enforcing this decree, the rights and freedoms stated in the constitution will only be restricted within the limits of … the constitution, and only to the extent strictly required by the situation,” Yameen said.

Seven articles of the constitution have been suspended, including those guaranteeing citizens of the Indian Ocean island nation the rights of assembly, free expression, freedom from arbitrary detention and freedom of movement.

The state of emergency was limited to 30 days and a curfew would not be imposed, the government said.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/04/maldives-declares-state-of-emergency

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vero

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 01:08:21 PM

Well that's unexpected. I thought the emergency would be because of climate change. I thought the Maldives would be underwater by now.

RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 01:44:34 PM

This is clear example of how governments around the world can revoke your rights at a drop of the hat.

We often believe that we will be protected by 'our' constitution/human right laws etc... but this just shows how a government can just override any and all of those when it wants to and always under the pretense that it's for the protection of the people.

Not picking sides in this ongoing escalation as I'm not up to speed with events there but one cannot help but notice how all laws etc.. are just pushed aside. Guess anything goes as long as its 'for your own protection'.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 04:41:01 PM

Well that's unexpected. I thought the emergency would be because of climate change. I thought the Maldives would be underwater by now.

Maldives is a rich country, which ranks as one of the top destinations for the Western tourists. Maldives is also one of the leaders in land reclamation. They are building artificial islands, and expanding the already existing natural islands. The net loss of land due to encroachment of the ocean is covered by creating new land from the sea.
Ernstew

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 11:25:01 PM

This is rich and stable country living of luxury tourism..they have underwater restaurants..but they are first on line for dissapearing because only 1 m above sea level

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 12:36:38 AM

This is clear example of how governments around the world can revoke your rights at a drop of the hat.

We often believe that we will be protected by 'our' constitution/human right laws etc... but this just shows how a government can just override any and all of those when it wants to and always under the pretense that it's for the protection of the people.

Not picking sides in this ongoing escalation as I'm not up to speed with events there but one cannot help but notice how all laws etc.. are just pushed aside. Guess anything goes as long as its 'for your own protection'.

Yep. It's about time to load up on guns and ammo, and form a group to protect yourself from a government gone mad.

However, if you do this, you will be the one to make the government mad.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
salinizm

Activity: 658
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:52:29 AM

President’s decree suspends all basic rights and gives sweeping powers to security forces ahead of opposition protest rally

The president of the Maldives has declared a state of emergency, citing a threat to citizens’ safety and national security.

Abdulla Yameen’s decree, which came into effect at midday local time (0700 GMT), suspends all basic rights and gives the security forces sweeping powers to arrest suspects before a major anti-government rally planned later this week.

The main opposition Maldivian Democratic party (MDP), whose leader Mohamed Nasheed is in jail following his conviction earlier this year under anti-terror laws, has organised the protest

The Maldives has suffered acute political instability for several years, but a new cycle of chaos and unrest appears to be intensifying.

“President Yameen has declared state of emergency to ensure the safety and security of every citizen,” his spokesman Muaz Ali tweeted.

In a statement to the nation, Yameen, who took power in a contested election in 2013, said there were groups planning to use weapons and explosives.

“My beloved citizens, I assure you, that in enforcing this decree, the rights and freedoms stated in the constitution will only be restricted within the limits of … the constitution, and only to the extent strictly required by the situation,” Yameen said.

Seven articles of the constitution have been suspended, including those guaranteeing citizens of the Indian Ocean island nation the rights of assembly, free expression, freedom from arbitrary detention and freedom of movement.

The state of emergency was limited to 30 days and a curfew would not be imposed, the government said.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/04/maldives-declares-state-of-emergency

this so weird.. i even dont know maldivies has the political system.. for me , maldivies is a beautiful tropical place to go for a vacation.. not a country..

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
JINBI

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
[
T H E   G O L D E N   I C O
────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────
]
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:56:05 AM

Actually, Maldives hasn't declared a state of emergency. It is some people that have done it, in the name of government and protecting the people. It is a protection racket, as are all governments that have gone outside of the easy reach of the people, yet tax those same people.

Governments are like the Mafia. The only difference is that some of the "Mafias" are a little more favorable to the people than others are. But, they all are protection rackets... you pay or we'll take it from you or worse.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
jak1

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:49:12 AM

Maldive is really a paradise and touristic hot spot and main attraction are hotel islands..it's stable,peaceful country and only what i know about their government is that once they have meeting underwater
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: