Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:22:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin-qt stuck at 145XX blocks behind , never gets any new blocks.  (Read 1128 times)
OmarX (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 03:43:40 AM

Im running bitcoin-qt (0.7.1 latest version) on linux. I have a wallet.dat that had a few bitcoins in it , but my blockchain was out of date since I had not run the bitcoin software in over a year. I thought I could speed things up by downloading the blockchain from bitcoincharts. I deleted BLK0001.DAT and BLK0002.DAT along with BLKINDEX.DAT and the database directory. Then I did a "bitcoin -rescan -blockload=/tmp/BLK0001.DAT -blockload=/tmp/BLK0002.DAT". Everything seemed to go fine , the software said it was importing the blockchain , I let it run overnight. But now the bitcoin client is open and its just sitting at about 14500+ blocks behind. I has 21 connections to the bitcoin network but no new blocks ever download and the number of blocks behind just increases. Its been running like this for two days , does this mean my database is corrupted ? What can I do to salvage my wallet.dat ? The bitcoin client does show the correct balance of the wallet. 
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 04:01:01 AM

Then I did a "bitcoin -rescan -blockload=/tmp/BLK0001.DAT -blockload=/tmp/BLK0002.DAT".
blockload?   the syntax for loading from a download of the blockchain datafiles is -loadblock

-loadblock=<file1>   -loadblock=<file2> 

But now the bitcoin client is open and its just sitting at about 14500+ blocks behind.

Are you possible in a disk full condition?

The debug.log will give a more specific clue for troubleshooting.

What can I do to salvage my wallet.dat ?

The wallet.dat is a completely separate file from the blockchain.  It sounds like there's no problem with that.

So check the syntax on -loadblock and if you had it wrong, try it again using the proper syntax.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

OmarX (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 04:23:30 AM

blockload?   the syntax for loading from a download of the blockchain datafiles is -loadblock

-loadblock=<file1>   -loadblock=<file2> 

My mistake , I just typed it wrong in the post - I did use the correct syntax when I ran bitcoin and the software said it was importing the blockchain.

Are you possible in a disk full condition?

No , disk not full , over 30gb free space. bitcoin-qt says it has 20 connections to bitcoin network and there is lots of network activity occurring , but the blocks remaining number never goes down.

The debug.log will give a more specific clue for troubleshooting.

Thanks , Ill check debug.log
OmarX (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 09:47:20 PM

I'm posting the solution to my own problem in case it can help somebody else.

I'm using the latest bitcoin-qt client on linux (fedora)
My situation was that I had a wallet.dat file that had not been used in several years. It contained some bitcoins so I wanted to copy it into .bitcoin directory and install the latest client then sync the blockchain. Each time I tried this it would download the blockchain up to a certain block (always the same block) , then stop downloading new blocks. The number of blocks behind would then slowly increase but never go down. The bitcoin client still reported plenty (8+) connections to the bitcoin network. I tried erasing everything (except wallet.dat) and starting over and the same thing happened again. Each time the debug log was filled with .."ERROR: AcceptBlock() : AddToBlockIndex failed" and "ERROR: ProcessBlock() : AcceptBlock FAILED"

I never really found the cause of the problem , what I ended up doing was deleting everything again. Letting the bitcoin client create a new wallet.dat and then download the whole blockchain again , which worked fine. Then I used pywallet to extract the private keys from my old wallet.dat that contained bitcoins and imported them into the new wallet.dat using the procedure shown here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys_v7%2B

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: