Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:54:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A small weakness of bitcoins?  (Read 2432 times)
istar (OP)

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 08:59:57 PM

Lets say I backup my bitcoins in a safe place.

However if someone restores a deleted copy of an unprotected wallet file and starts spending with that file.
It wont matter if I backed up my wallet.

So you not just only need to store the file, but also make sure its very wiped out from the harddrive.

Meaning that its very cumbersome to be very safe.

(Ofcourse this also applies to everything else)

But still, people have their money in banks which do have lots of protection.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 09:06:15 PM

Lets say I backup my bitcoins in a safe place.

However if someone restores a deleted copy of an unprotected wallet file and starts spending with that file.
It wont matter if I backed up my wallet.

So you not just only need to store the file, but also make sure its very wiped out from the harddrive.

Meaning that its very cumbersome to be very safe.

(Ofcourse this also applies to everything else)

But still, people have their money in banks which do have lots of protection.

If you trust banks you can hire them to keep your coins safe. The benefit of Bitcoin is that you don't have to, not that you cannot.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 09:07:02 PM

Most Operating Systems have inbuilt software to erase free space. The only thing people will need to do is learn to use it
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 09:12:41 PM

Most Operating Systems have inbuilt software to erase free space. The only thing people will need to do is learn to use it
i would like to see that on windose...
i only know of dd on linux, or encrypting your harddrive and when you don't need it anymore you burn the key.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 09:15:22 PM

Well, to establish Bitcoin as a mass currency you need a never-thought-about-this-security-feature...
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 09:17:23 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2011, 09:44:02 PM by mewantsbitcoins

i only know of dd on linux, or encrypting your harddrive and when you don't need it anymore you burn the key.

I think there's an inbuilt tool but I'm not very familiar with Windows. I know ccleaner works very well. For the super paranoid there is dban

Well, to establish Bitcoin as a mass currency you need a never-thought-about-this-security-feature...

Don't forget Bitcoin is in beta state. All the bells and whistles will be implemented in time
compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 10:45:33 PM

Eraser does the job well, too. It even integrates into your right-click menu. But no open source, sorry.
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

eraser is open source.  it's GPLv3 licensed and the source is available via SVN on sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:03:25 AM

An older open source program which also does this job is Blowfish Advanced CS:
http://www.lassekolb.info/bfacs.htm
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:39:50 AM

In Windows you can turn on EFS and/or Bitlocker if your version supports these features. For most people it is probably an overkill to encrypt both at the file system and disk levels. Personally I think that Bitlocker is not practical to use if your hardware does not have TPM.
Danny Crane

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:44:02 PM

I'm sure there will be mail spams with virus can steal your wallet comming out soon.
eazolan

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:42:17 PM

So, what if that older wallet had bitcoins you already spent? What is stopping you from going back to the older wallet and spending them again?
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:04:09 PM

So, what if that older wallet had bitcoins you already spent? What is stopping you from going back to the older wallet and spending them again?

Noob alert! the coins already been spended before. witch means that your coins are referenced in another transaction in the blockchain, so nobody will accept your invalid coins.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
eazolan

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:13:57 PM

Yes, hi. I'm new.

I just ordered some video cards to do some bitcoin mining, so I'm researching.

Hm. The block chain. Something that will grow into a gigantic distributed database?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin#Block-chain_and_confirmations

gigitrix

Activity: 630

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:07:44 PM

If you have any suspicions about losing access to any copy of your wallet.dat, Immediately transfer all coins to a new wallet you've set up yourself. Much akin to cancelling your credit cards. You'll also have to make sure any sources of bitcoin income point to addresses from the new wallet (eg miners).

The bitcoin network is finished. The software using it, however, is barely capable and needs a whole lot more development time to be viable to the masses IMHO. I know you guys are out there and working on it though, so that's a great thing!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: