Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:11:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Repair Service and parts  (Read 3539 times)
JMcGrath (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:23:36 AM

I am just taking a headcount for now but after repairing my own GPUs I know what a pain it is to find the correct fans, replacement thermal pads, R&R, etc!

I have 17 more of my own GPUs to replace fans and I will be ordering more parts soon. If enough people are interested I will be putting together some kits including OE Fans, the BEST Thermal Pads, and replacement screws.

Prices would be *approximately* 4.5BTC (for reference design GPUs) and would be specifically for your GPU and include various thermal pad sizes of 0.5, 1.0, and 1.5mm. OE Thermal pads are rated at just 3.5W/mK while the replacements are 11.0W/mK and I'm working on getting some as high as 17.0W/mK!

Non-reference GPUs can be fixed as well but I would need to check the price and availability of their fans.

I could also offer a service to repair your GPU for about 6-7BTC including return shipping within the USA.

Please post here if you would be interested! I'd appreciate it if you not send a PM so that I can answer all questions here.

Thank you!
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:52:28 AM

If you could get a few Volterra VT1157SF VRMs I'd buy them from you.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 06:57:33 AM

I could also offer a service to repair your GPU for about 6-7BTC including return shipping within the USA.

There's probably a growing supply for anyone willing to buy GPUs that are in need of repairs.  Sometimes miners have just removed or disabled the bad ones (e.g., running just one of the two GPUs on the board) and can't justify doing a repair but would be willing to sell the board for cheap.

If you could fix them and then resell them you might be able to do OK with that.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

JMcGrath (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 09:08:36 AM

I'm not looking to purchase non working cards especially if something else could be wrong with them. I just figured I'd throwthis out there as I'll be ordering a whole lot of parts for my own use! I can get a discount on large quantities and figured I'd pass that discount down...

Figured I'd support bitcoin by accepting them as payment also Smiley

MrTeal - I'm just dealing with basic repairs right now but I'll have a look if I can find that VRM for you!
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 03:28:42 PM

If by any chans you'd be able to provide me a fan pair for MSI's Twin Frozrr III cooler I'd be interested in one. I did google and order a part with the exact same number, but is wat not a match.. mounting holes were wrong. I could also be interested in a working reference-cooler for a 6950 incase you have one lying around.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 04:00:31 PM

Whoa I didn't even know it's cost effective to repair GPUs.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
JMcGrath (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:31:02 PM

If by any chans you'd be able to provide me a fan pair for MSI's Twin Frozrr III cooler I'd be interested in one. I did google and order a part with the exact same number, but is wat not a match.. mounting holes were wrong. I could also be interested in a working reference-cooler for a 6950 incase you have one lying around.

Sure Isokivi,

I've got a stock pile of OE Replacement Fans from NTK Limited but I can check for you. Do you have the fan's part number by chance? It is usually listed on the sticker on the underside of the fan (the side you can't see until you pull it apart...)

Also, if you have the mounting dimensions that would be great!

For anyone inquiring about Non-OE fans please be sure to provide as many details and specs as possible! Fans are almost always measured in mm and I will need the following specs:

• Fan Diameter (Total Width of the Fan):
  • Fan Height (Height from both the base, and the height of the fan shroud):
  • Mounting Holes (often times fans have a triangle, sometimes square or rectangular base) I need the dimensions from the center point of each mounting hole:
  • Fan PN (Usually on the bottom sticker, any additional specs or numbers can be helpful!):

I will upload a picture as an example in a little while when I get home. I have an old fan that I just replaced to take a picture of for examples. All of these aspects are important in finding the correct part as even the Reference OE Fans have many variations - For Example, ALL Reference 5xxx series cards use the same 75mm (diameter) fan, same height, and same mounting base and dimensions, however some 5xxx cards use a 12VDC 0.6A, 0.8A, 0.94A, 2.0A all the way up to 2.8A! A small variation probably won't matter (ex 0.8 vs 0.94) but too high and it will stress the GPU's fan controller, too low and you may burn out the fan right away!

Whoa I didn't even know it's cost effective to repair GPUs.

MPOE-PR, It really depends on what needs to be replaced. For the most part I am only replacing the fans (which are known to be garbage and don't last long at high speeds), but depending on the issue may attempt other repairs. The problem with repairing cards with an unknown problem is just that - you may have overheated the card and actually ruined the GPU itself in which case it is not worth the repair. On the other hand if you *know* exactly what the issue is (faulty fan, VRM, etc) then it is just a matter of finding the correct part(s) and knowing how to install them.

I think the cost is well worth it IMHO, like I said I have 17 cards of my own that I am fixing right now - 5850's, 5870's, 5970's, and 6990's...

Sold on eBay "as-is" and listed with a faulty fan I would be LUCKY to get $50, for about ~4-5BTC or appx $40-50 you could sell that same card for hundreds more! (depending on the card). The kits and estimated price is for an entire *upgraded* repair kit - OE Replacement Fan (with upgraded bearings), Best Heat-pads available (more than 3x better heat transfer!), and a few replacement screws in case you strip one trying to take them out!

I estimated high at 4.5BTC, if a fan is all you need and/or just standard replacement heat-pads the cost should be even less  Smiley

The "upgraded kit" I am offering will make the card run cooler, the fan will be much quieter, and with the special thermal pads your components will run cooler - most importantly the VRM which can get EXTREMELY HOT! I may offer 2 different kits if enough people are interested... A "performance" kit with upgraded fan, thermal-pads, and AS-Ceramic (AS5 should not be used!) and a cheaper "replacement" kit with the standard fan, pads, and a bit of AS-C
JMcGrath (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:57:25 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2012, 06:09:10 PM by JMcGrath

MrTeal,

Good news! I was able to track down the Volterra VT1157SF if you are interested. They are cheap, but they are coming from overseas and the shipping is a little higher than expected...

1) How many are you looking to purchase?

2) Where are you located (Country, State/Province?)

3) What card are these being used for? I'm assuming a Radeon HD of some sort, but depending on the card you can actually upgrade to a more stabil 5-phase VRM. Let me know and I can look into that if you are interested, otherwise I can get the specific part you requested (Volterra VT1157SF).

**EDIT - Shipping is good up to 5 parts, not per piece**

My cost for the Volterra VT1157SF is:

0.31 BTC - Part / ea
1.03 BTC - S&H / (up to 5 parts)

(+ 0.31 BTC per additional Volterra VT1157SF)

Depending on where you live I will see if I can have them drop shipped, otherwise shipping from me should not be too much more... Please get back to me about the 3 questions above and we can figure something out if you're interested. I can also check on the upgraded 5-phase Volterra VT1195 if it is compatible and what you're looking for as well as a price.

PM Sent also!
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 06:10:20 PM

MrTeal,

Good news! I was able to track down the Volterra VT1157SF if you are interested. They are cheap, but they are coming from overseas and the shipping is a little higher than expected...

1) How many are you looking to purchase?

2) Where are you located (Country, State/Province?)

3) What card are these being used for? I'm assuming a Radeon HD of some sort, but depending on the card you can actually upgrade to a more stabil 5-phase VRM. Let me know and I can look into that if you are interested, otherwise I can get the specific part you requested (Volterra VT1157SF).

**EDIT - Shipping is good up to 5 parts, not per piece**

My cost for the Volterra VT1157SF is:

0.31 BTC - Part / ea
1.03 BTC - S&H / (up to 5 parts)

(+ 0.31 BTC per additional Volterra VT1157SF)

Depending on where you live I will see if I can have them drop shipped, otherwise shipping from me should not be too much more... Please get back to me about the 3 questions above and we can figure something out if you're interested. I can also check on the upgraded 5-phase Volterra VT1159 if it is compatible and what you're looking for as well as a price.

PM Sent also!

They are for a 5970, and I would need 3 of them. I can't justify that price though, $45 is more than I'd be willing to spend on them.
JMcGrath (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 06:33:05 PM

Not sure if you saw this post before or after I made the edit?!

I was mistaken on the shipping as the price is for all of them... the total for 3 would be 1.96BTC which is only about $21.50 USD. Also, I am still waiting to hear back from one of my other suppliers (they're in Hong Kong so it will probably be a few more hours before I hear back from them) but their price may be different.

Also, what is the brand and model of that card? If you'd like I can check on the 5-phase VT1195 VRM also, or would you just like to stick with the factory parts?
MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 06:42:51 PM

Not sure if you saw this post before or after I made the edit?!

I was mistaken on the shipping as the price is for all of them... the total for 3 would be 1.96BTC which is only about $21.50 USD. Also, I am still waiting to hear back from one of my other suppliers (they're in Hong Kong so it will probably be a few more hours before I hear back from them) but their price may be different.

Also, what is the brand and model of that card? If you'd like I can check on the 5-phase VT1195 VRM also, or would you just like to stick with the factory parts?
Oh, sorry. You must have edited between me loading the page and clicking reply, I didn't reread your post that I quoted. BTC2 is more reasonable, so long as the lead time is decent. I need them to fix one core on a 5970, but if you have to order them in and then reship them to me it might not be worth it if it takes over a month. They'll probably be $50 5970s on eBay by then. Tongue

It's just a stock ATI Reference. I'm not sure how replacing the VRMs would upgrade it to a 5 phase part. There is room for the addition of an extra phase on the 5970 PCB, but without changing the controller (and possibly updating the FW?) I'm not sure it's possible to use all four phases per GPU.
JMcGrath (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 07:34:16 PM

I can't see the shipping taking too long. My supplier states shipping time to USA as 12-18 days, however many reviewers say they have gotten their parts in about a week. I have ordered various IC's from them in the past and it generally took about 10 days or so if I remember correctly depending on stock. The VT1157SF IS in stock, they currently have 48 of them so I see no problems there.

If you'd like I can have them shipped today, I have sent a request to have them shipped directly to you and should have a response soon.

I will send you a PM to exchange shipping/payment info and we can go from there.

As for the "5-phase" upgrade, there is actually an upgrade available. I did some research although it seems like it's more money and time than it's worth for what you're looking to do. Essentially the 5870 used a 4-phase design while the reference 5970 went to a 3-phase design. A few manufacturers opted to use a slightly different design for their extremely high-end cards (such as the ASUS Ares) using an identical 5970 PCB to make the card a "true dual" 5870+5870 that still used the same 5870 power design which added stability and slightly reduced temps. I could dig up some more info but it seems like there is a bit more involved than just adding the extra phase. The card would require all new VRM's, a Firmware update to recognize the additional phase, and possibly added cooling. It's up to you but doesn't seem worth it after investigating further IMO...

Anyways, PM has been sent and I will attempt to have them ship directly to you Smiley
Isokivi

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 03:47:43 PM

I've got a stock pile of OE Replacement Fans from NTK Limited but I can check for you. Do you have the fan's part number by chance? It is usually listed on the sticker on the underside of the fan (the side you can't see until you pull it apart...)

All the info on the fans sticker:
Power logic, dc brushless fan, model PLD08010S12HH, Dc 12V 0.35A

It's attached with three screws, the distance from screwhole to the next is 5cm and 3cm from the center of the fan. If this is not enough please ask a more specific question about the mounting.. Im fairly clueless here Smiley

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
JMcGrath (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 11:50:20 AM

It's attached with three screws, the distance from screwhole to the next is 5cm and 3cm from the center of the fan. If this is not enough please ask a more specific question about the mounting.. Im fairly clueless here Smiley

I am able to order that fan although I am finding 2 different variations...

Are the mounting holes a perfect triangle? Or does one stick straight out and the other 2 are close to each other on the same side?

Also does the mounting bracket stick out past the fan blades? Or are they shorter than the fan blades?

It would be great if you had a picture so I am 100% positive I'm sending you the right thing... Otherwise I'm sure we'll be able to figure it out!
Isokivi

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 02:00:10 PM

I am able to order that fan although I am finding 2 different variations...

Are the mounting holes a perfect triangle? Or does one stick straight out and the other 2 are close to each other on the same side?

Also does the mounting bracket stick out past the fan blades? Or are they shorter than the fan blades?

It would be great if you had a picture so I am 100% positive I'm sending you the right thing... Otherwise I'm sure we'll be able to figure it out!

Heres a pic, please not that this fain is one of a pair of two in the same cable, cables have been cut. Looks like a perfect triangle mounting bracket is shorter than the fan blades (i'd guess ~3mm shorter).

JMcGrath (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 01:02:46 PM

Isokivi,

That does look to be the fan that I am able to order, at today's exchange rate it would be about 2.55 BTC shipped to your door. I do not have any in my own stock but I can order them from several different suppliers in China, Singapore, Japan, etc...

I do not see your location in your profile, however that price is including S&H to the USA. If you are interested please let me know here and via PM and we can work out the details. It looks like shipping time would be about 2 weeks.
JMcGrath (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 01:22:25 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2013, 03:35:57 PM by JMcGrath

I don't want to get off track in this thread, but just want to post a quick reply about another service being offered at my company!

Since we're on the subject of GPU Repair and the number of people that are selling their older hardware because of the upcoming changes to the Bitcoin industry, I felt it was related closely enough to inform everyone of our brand new Progressive ASIC Mining Contracts...

For anyone that is thinking of getting out of the industry because of ASIC's or because of block reward halving, I urge you to please have a look at our website and/or our thread on these forums. Progressive Bitcoin Mining is offering the power of ASIC Mining without the high expense of purchasing all new hardware for the sole purpose of mining! With the extreme power of ASIC Mining Hardware and a careful reinvestment plan, a single Contract starts over 125MH and will end the year with over 1GH of hashing power, Contracts start at just 0.25 BTC!

This plan offers the highest potential gain compared to others, 100% of the power is owned by Contract Holders, all BTC Databases etc are kept securely off-site, 100% privately owned and operated so no one gets screwed like GLBSE bonds! For more info please check out our website for all the details!

Progressive ASIC Bitcoin Mining Contracts
http://www.progressivebtcmining.com/

Isokivi

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 01:24:23 PM

Isokivi,

That does look to be the fan that I am able to order, at today's exchange rate it would be about 2.55 BTC shipped to your door. I do not have any in my own stock but I can order them from several different suppliers in China, Singapore, Japan, etc...

I do not see your location in your profile, however that price is including S&H to the USA. If you are interested please let me know here and via PM and we can work out the details. It looks like shipping time would be about 2 weeks.
I just (15 minutes ago) gave up on you and ordered a fan set that looks like it could work for me from arctic cooling. ..Talk about bad timing.  If it does not I will get back to you, Im located in Finland.

JMcGrath (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 08:00:00 PM

Sorry Isokivi,

I have been really busy processing payments for our ASIC Mining Contracts and helping out customers. I wish I had been able to find it sooner for you, that is a hard part to find!

I hope the one you purchased works for you, best of luck to you! If there's ever anything I can do please let me know! If you send me an email I usually get it within a few hours...  Smiley
Isokivi

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2012, 09:30:15 AM

Bumping in hopes that the op will respond to my pm, need the fans!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: