Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:23:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: theymos threatening to ban the biggest business in bitcoin  (Read 2097 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 09:11:10 AM

-------

even ToTheMoonGuy joined another subreddit.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 09:16:54 AM

Playing dirty is not the answer especially if everyone in the world can see what you're doing. The more people that you piss off online, the more trouble is going to come your way one day or another. I would not be surprised if someone started DDoS-ing Coinbase for this idiotic behavior. The behavior, and the story behind XT seems worse to me everyday. Even if we disregard the bad implementations and Mike's love for dictatorship, something is wrong. Also it is obvious now what you're trying to do here; stop making threads in the wrong section. If I recall correctly, there's a similar thread in Meta already.

I think this hypothesis was largely taken out of context.
Correct. He's not threatening anyone.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
worhiper_-_

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:18:57 AM

I think this hypothesis was largely taken out of context.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:33:26 AM

There's no point in exaggerating topic titles, everyone who reads what this is all about will clearly see that theymos isn't talking about baning anyone, but rather
about not allowing non-bitcoin topics in r/bitcoin and on this forum outside altcoin section, where it belongs either way. It's up to coinbase where they will end up.
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:44:34 AM

This is really not a professional behaviour from Theymos. He uses his position (as a media owner) to force his ideas about bitcoin's future.
Who is to decide which BIP to be applied? certainly not theymoss. As a media owner he should leave some space about discussion and not remove ppl with different idea from the discussion.

We criticize the media because of there "a priori" position about bitcoin, he is doing just the same.

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
justscrewit

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:46:57 AM

This is really not a professional behaviour from Theymos. He uses his position (as a media owner) to force his ideas about bitcoin's future.
Who is to decide which BIP to be applied? certainly not theymoss. As a media owner he should leave some space about discussion and not remove ppl with different idea from the discussion.

We criticize the media because of there "a priori" position about bitcoin, he is doing just the same.
This is a private forum, don't spread your bullshit here.

glub0x
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:49:34 AM

This is a private forum, don't spread your bullshit here.
Being private doesn't mean having no responsability.
He can do whatever he wants in his private forum but he might end up alone aswell.

minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

ProfessionalGoogler

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:49:57 AM

Coinbase is a joke -- they can't decide if they want to be a WALLET or an EXCHANGE.

What kind of exchange shuts down your account for activities such as using localbitcoin or buying cheaper BTC on one exchange to sell to this one?

Coinbase wants to police everyone.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 09:52:49 AM

Another XT propaganda account? Welcome to the list. Theymos has never said that he does not allow discussion of BIP101 and/or other ideas. He has always allowed them. Theymos has said that he is disallowing the promotion of XT, which is the right thing to do. XT != Bitcoin until the moment that it reaches 99% consensus; no matter from which angle you view it, it won't change. This is not professional behavior from you. This is a privately owned forum. Looks like only a few people can grasp what this really means.

Coinbase wants to police everyone.
This is why they support XT, i.e. Hearn. They're going to implement blacklisting one way or another.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:55:24 AM

I cannot believe that we are starting again with this discussion. I guess that the price of Bitcoin has gone way to high and now we need to lower it again with the new round of this endless crap!
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:59:35 AM

Ugghh...  I can't believe this discussion is still going on.

Would the jerk offs please piss off out of the bitcoin community?  Mike and Gavin, go start an alt-coin or something.  Leave us alone.
glub0x
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:03:37 AM

Another XT propaganda account? Welcome to the list. Theymos has never said that he does not allow discussion of BIP101 and/or other ideas. He has always allowed them. Theymos has said that he is disallowing the promotion of XT, which is the right thing to do. XT != Bitcoin until the moment that it reaches 99% consensus; no matter from which angle you view it, it won't change. This is not professional behavior from you. This is a privately owned forum. Looks like only a few people can grasp what this really means.

Not only he disallow the promotion on his own private forum but also he prohibits other to express different view outside of it using threats. ( just read OP)
This is not professional.
The difference between theymoss and me is that i am nobody and he is a media owner. He has some kind of moral responsibility.

Also there is no need of personal attack this is ridiculous i was on this forum long before you...

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 10:11:09 AM

Not only he disallow the promotion on his own private forum but also he prohibits other to express different view outside of it using threats. ( just read OP)
This is not professional.
The difference between theymoss and me is that i am nobody and he is a media owner. He has some kind of moral responsibility.
This being a privately owned forum, he has no obligation to do anything for anyone. Just because he lets you play here, that does not mean that he has an obligation to fulfill any of your demands. I've read this twice, this is not a threat. As I previously said, expressing views != promoting. If you are going to run a depth in technical discussion of BIP101, then be my guest. If you are going to come saying e.g. "BIP 101 is great"; "BIP101 best", etc. then you are going to get what you deserve.

Also there is no need of personal attack this is ridiculous i was on this forum long before you...
This is not professional behavior from you.
Such personal attack.  Roll Eyes The date of registration is worthless.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:14:56 AM

I've read a lot of complaints from users over the years about the sketchy shit that Coinbase has been pulling. I'd sooner trust Big Vern with my money and that says a lot.

The stern words for Armstrong in regards to BIP101 were definitely in order here.
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 2106

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:33:26 AM

There is nothing wrong here. XT is an altcoin and altcoin discussion belongs to altcoin sections. If you want to promote altcoins you have to do that in altcoin subreddits.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
glub0x
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:37:22 AM

This being a privately owned forum, he has no obligation to do anything for anyone. Just because he lets you play here, that does not mean that he has an obligation to fulfill any of your demands.
You are right this is not a legal obligation.  The word you miss is "moral". Now you don't have to say hello to anybody, hands the door or let old ppl go first.

I am going to rephrase what theymos says in op as you have trouble to find out where is the threat. He says that if Coinbase promotes BIP101 on coinbase.com, he might restrict coinbase to the altcoin section. Is that simple enough to understand?

How many post have i read here about unprofessional journalist because they only promote the dark side of bitcoin? Isn't that the same kind of behaviour? they have their idea, they don't care so much about what other think.

Also as you seem to have problem understanding me, the personal attack is when you imply i am a propaganda account... It's been 4 years i am following bitcoin, i might have different idea than yours, maybe than most but there wouldn't be any bitcoin if we always follow mainstream idea . And i agree this doesn't mean that different idea is better idea either, it just mean that it is very important to let other express their ideas....

mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:46:37 AM

Not another of this thread. Bitcoin XT= altcoin, and promotion of a service trading and promoting an altcoin belongs in the Altcoin section, and theymos hasn't said anything about banning anything on the forum, its only reddit that he's talking about AFAIK.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 10:49:28 AM

Also as you seem to have problem understanding me, the personal attack is when you imply i am a propaganda account... It's been 4 years i am following bitcoin, i might have different idea than yours, maybe than most but there wouldn't be any bitcoin if we always follow mainstream idea . And i agree this doesn't mean that different idea is better idea either, it just mean that it is very important to let other express their ideas....
I made an assumption, not a conclusion. In other words, this is not something that would qualify as a personal attack.

The word you miss is "moral".
I am going to rephrase what theymos says in op as you have trouble to find out where is the threat. He says that if Coinbase promotes BIP101 on coinbase.com, he might restrict coinbase to the altcoin section. Is that simple enough to understand?
-snip-
You call on morality? So it was moral to try an take over Bitcoin by force, but it is not moral to restrict promotion of something that is not Bitcoin on Bitcoin grounds? This is contradictory. As I've already said, you are allowed to discuss pretty much any idea properly. You are not allowed to promote a hostile takeover. End of story. Swim or sink.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
glub0x
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:52:00 AM

Not another of this thread. Bitcoin XT= altcoin, and promotion of a service trading and promoting an altcoin belongs in the Altcoin section, and theymos hasn't said anything about banning anything on the forum, its only reddit that he's talking about AFAIK.
you're welcome Smiley

If CoinBase promotes XT to customers on coinbase.com and/or [...]
this also applies to bitcointalk.org ( where coinbase would be restricted to the altcoin section)[...]

mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:55:22 AM

you're welcome Smiley

If CoinBase promotes XT to customers on coinbase.com and/or [...]
this also applies to bitcointalk.org ( where coinbase would be restricted to the altcoin section)[...]

Did you yourself read the post you're quoting? Lemme bold that part for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: