Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:12:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: theymos threatening to ban the biggest business in bitcoin  (Read 2102 times)
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:56:43 AM

Oh and just for public knowledge, we all know how biased LitecoinGuy is in this topic, maybe his Moderator position in forum.bitcoin.com is affecting his biased opinions?
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:58:20 AM

Not another of this thread. Bitcoin XT= altcoin, and promotion of a service trading and promoting an altcoin belongs in the Altcoin section, and theymos hasn't said anything about banning anything on the forum, its only reddit that he's talking about AFAIK.
you're welcome Smiley

If CoinBase promotes XT to customers on coinbase.com and/or [...]
this also applies to bitcointalk.org ( where coinbase would be restricted to the altcoin section)[...]

Did you yourself read the post you're quoting? Lemme bold that part for you.
Bolded the important part Smiley
Not banned but in the dustbin looks the same to me

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
mexxer-2

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:00:05 AM

Not another of this thread. Bitcoin XT= altcoin, and promotion of a service trading and promoting an altcoin belongs in the Altcoin section, and theymos hasn't said anything about banning anything on the forum, its only reddit that he's talking about AFAIK.
you're welcome Smiley

If CoinBase promotes XT to customers on coinbase.com and/or [...]
this also applies to bitcointalk.org ( where coinbase would be restricted to the altcoin section)[...]

Did you yourself read the post you're quoting? Lemme bold that part for you.
Bolded the important part Smiley
Man are we seriously continuing this discussion? I said theymos is not banning anything on the forum, but only restricting it to altcoin section, which is != a ban.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 11:01:22 AM

Oh and just for public knowledge, we all know how biased LitecoinGuy is in this topic, maybe his Moderator position in forum.bitcoin.com is affecting his biased opinions?
forum.bitcoin.com - the place where random people get Global Moderator rank after a very small period of time.   Roll Eyes

Man are we seriously continuing this discussion? I said theymos is not banning anything on the forum, but only restricting it to altcoin section, which is != a ban.
Either he doesn't get it due to being ignorant, or he's refusing to get it. Giving something a place in the altcoin section is anything but a ban. If there was a ban or any sort of censorship, we would not be even having this discussion.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
glub0x
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:04:58 AM

Yes you are right, not banned, in the dustbin alt section. pretty much the same.

minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

mexxer-2

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:08:20 AM

Yes you are right, not banned, in the dustbin alt section. pretty much the same.

Well they should think about their decision then, bitcointalk is a private forum + they are promoting an altcoin, at least theymos is as generous as to not ban them. Anyways , seems you are mistaking a ban , ban= when you(and all your accounts in bitcointalk) are not allowed to post anymore.
glub0x
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:16:10 AM

Well they should think about their decision then, bitcointalk is a private forum [...]
So you agree theymoss uses his position to "threaten"?
maybe you will not call it a threat but how then?

mexxer-2

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:17:39 AM

Well they should think about their decision then, bitcointalk is a private forum [...]
He is not threatening, if a thread/post is not relevant to the board its moderated, coinbase is becoming a service promoting altcoin namely XT which is why any related posts/thread should be moderated.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 11:27:52 AM

Look, it's obvious why any comments made by theymos on this matter are downvoted quickly. The Bitcoin community unfortunately has a large quantity of cryptoanarchists and anarchists in general who believe that the global financial system is going to collapse in 28 days and that if you delete anything you are clearly just part of the NSA and trying to implement censorship. And then it just descends into circlejerking.

As always...

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 01:32:02 PM

Sorry but I don't see any kind of threatening here.
Theymos is simply doing what any moderator should do in r/bitcoin (same goes in btctalk) and I see that he gave a clear explanation, dunno why people always understood: don't sing in the math classroom as the principal threatening to ban you from the school , you only have to sing in the proper class!

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 01:54:12 PM

"I don't go there, it must just be trash". Nice logic there friend.
So, glub0x, should all SHA-256 altcoins be out of the alt section? I mean, they're essentially clones of the same coin with a different name, just like Bitcoin XT.
If I make an alt called Bitcoin 2, can that be on bitcointalk or r/bitcoin? No. Why should Bitcoin XT be any different?
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 01:55:57 PM

They have a section on cryptoanarchy. They literally have a section on cryptoanarchy.

I'm sorry, it's so obvious that we're going to be seeing brigading, though that goes both ways.

mexxer-2

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 01:58:46 PM

"I don't go there, it must just be trash". Nice logic there friend.
So, glub0x, should all SHA-256 altcoins be out of the alt section? I mean, they're essentially clones of the same coin with a different name, just like Bitcoin XT.
If I make an alt called Bitcoin 2, can that be on bitcointalk or r/bitcoin? No. Why should Bitcoin XT be any different?
Erm although I agree with you guys, lets not make take it personally against him, he is probably offering his opinion and well one thing about opinions is they are hard to change.
And we should discuss this on a single thread, seems another one just popped up: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1240236.0
P.S:

They have a section on cryptoanarchy. They literally have a section on cryptoanarchy.

I'm sorry, it's so obvious that we're going to be seeing brigading, though that goes both ways.
Erm couldn't get(understand) that(second sentence).
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 02:04:06 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2015, 02:14:35 PM by DiamondCardz

Brigading covers things like spam downvoting someone for trying to state their opinion.

This whole situation is just ridiculous and blown out of proportions. Squabbling like little children. Brigading. Insulting. Circlejerking.

Jesus.

glub0x
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 02:18:10 PM

You think that xt & BIP101 ( this is about both and there is a difference) is an altcoin. It is your right i will not argue with you.
BUT there is ppl thinking otherwise. They might be wrong but this is a place of expression and i belive that there is some kind of moral obligation to that goes to theymoss to not use his power to enforce the way community decide what is the future.
That doesn't mean that he can't personally express on the matter.

Now if you can't see the difference between one guy thinking his bitcoin 2 program is the same than XT or worse than BIP 101, there is no point in all this...

Also i make the difference between taking public position and moderating absurd continuous spamming (whether about XT or anything elese) which is not doing coinbase, they are just taking a public position that Theymoss to disagree with.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 02:24:21 PM

You think that xt & BIP101 ( this is about both and there is a difference) is an altcoin. It is your right i will not argue with you.
BUT there is ppl thinking otherwise.
-snip-
Implying that anyone cares what they think (case specific, not general rule) about XT? Wrong. Obviously if you put aside the XT promoters/shills and a small group of neutral people, nobody really gives a damn what Hearn says or thinks. XT is a attempt at a hostile takeover, ergo not Bitcoin, ergo altcoin. I've previously posted this several times:

That means we're showing XT promoters the way out, and nobody gives a damn what they think.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 02:26:09 PM

Erm although I agree with you guys, lets not make take it personally against him, he is probably offering his opinion and well one thing about opinions is they are hard to change.
I don't believe I said anything insulting against him, though if I did please have my apologies.

BUT there is ppl thinking otherwise. They might be wrong but this is a place of expression and i belive that there is some kind of moral obligation to that goes to theymoss to not use his power to enforce the way community decide what is the future.
That doesn't mean that he can't personally express on the matter.
theymos wouldn't be stopping the community talking about it, though he would be stopping the community talking about it where it isn't on topic to do so. The alt boards and other subreddits would be still available to talk about BIP 101 and Bitcoin XT without theymos being able to edit or remove posts.

Now if you can't see the difference between one guy thinking his bitcoin 2 program is the same than XT or worse than BIP 101, there is no point in all this...
I can't say that I see much difference between XT and what a 'Bitcoin 2' would be. AFAIK XT is just trying to 'improve' on the bitcoin source and change things about it. This means that it isn't Bitcoin, similar to what a Bitcoin 2 would be. This may just be due to misinformation on my part though.
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:15:03 PM

i FULLY support theymos in this action. biggest business or not, its not bitcoin itself and there are many alternatives to coinbase.  i think there will be many things tried to force on bitcoin from "economic" pressure as time goes on.  this is not the last attempt to try and hijack the blockchain by business, government, other developers, etc and the next ones will apply more and more pressure.   

we need to keep cool and always remember to protect decentralized bitcoin.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 05:25:38 PM

-snip-
always remember to protect decentralized bitcoin.
I concur. Once Bitcoin loses such a important aspect as decentralization, it can be seen as dead (considering what it was intended to do). With dead I'm not saying that nobody is going to be using it, but that it would not be much (or any) different than a blockchain ledger owned by a single bank (or multiple banks). From the moment that I'm unable to run my own node without paying a fortune (the costs right now are very low), I'm quitting Bitcoin and so should you (every reasonable person which is (hopefully) not deluded).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 05:47:25 PM

I cannot believe that we are starting again with this discussion. I guess that the price of Bitcoin has gone way to high and now we need to lower it again with the new round of this endless crap!
Maybe if we fork bitcoin another 20x the price will come down to a sensible amount /s.

This being a privately owned forum, he has no obligation to do anything for anyone. Just because he lets you play here, that does not mean that he has an obligation to fulfill any of your demands.
You are right this is not a legal obligation.  The word you miss is "moral". Now you don't have to say hello to anybody, hands the door or let old ppl go first.
Okay, Theymos is being immoral, now what? Use the site or don't, agree with the moderation policies or don't.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: