Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:48:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase is overstepping the bounds we should give it regarding Bitcoin XT  (Read 6610 times)
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 05:25:36 PM

We should not be allowing a private corporation to try to convince us to move over to Bitcoin XT, something which they are saying entirely for their own benefit - an increase in the amount of transactions would obviously benefit them ignoring everything else, they are for commerce. But it ignores all the other arguments against (and for it as well!) it as they are only pumping it for their own benefit. And now the Bitcoin community, especially on reddit, has descending into circlejerking against theymos and as an implication of this are now circlejerking all over Bitcoin XT and supporting Coinbase here. We have given a private corporation too much power.

Not to mention that the discussion of Bitcoin XT wasn't even banned, Coinbase overstepping these bounds and pumping Bitcoin XT was. Jesus, guys.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:30:49 PM

The problem is that moderation is announced but not enforced subsequently. So (especially r/Bitcoin) has been flooded with XTcoin trolls that destroy any Bitcoin discussion.

Known XT/Coinbase shills should be banned ASAP here and on r/Bitcoin.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:31:01 PM

They are not alone http://blog.blockchain.com/2015/08/24/industry-endorses-bigger-blocks-and-bip101/

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 05:32:11 PM

For those who do not spend time on reddit here is a link to theymos' post in which he mentioned possibility of a Coinbase ban on /r/bitcoin and restriction to altcoin board on this forum.

onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:32:54 PM

We should not be allowing a private corporation to try to convince us to move over to Bitcoin XT, something which they are saying entirely for their own benefit - an increase in the amount of transactions would obviously benefit them ignoring everything else, they are for commerce. But it ignores all the other arguments against (and for it as well!) it as they are only pumping it for their own benefit. And now the Bitcoin community, especially on reddit, has descending into circlejerking against theymos and as an implication of this are now circlejerking all over Bitcoin XT and supporting Coinbase here. We have given a private corporation too much power.

Not to mention that the discussion of Bitcoin XT wasn't even banned, Coinbase overstepping these bounds and pumping Bitcoin XT was. Jesus, guys.

what do you expect?
companies are obligated to do anything for their financial interest. they are not a charity. otherweise their investors can sue them... (not talking about xt in this paragraph; just as a general rule)

on the other hand anybody should always be aware that when a company speaks they are primarly speaking for themselves. so i dont think coinbase saying they want XT is something bad for the community.

disclaimer: i'd like to see bigger blocks too. not neceassarily XT.
edit: never used coinbase and i think they are not very trustworthy. have seen way to many negatives stories here about them

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 05:34:08 PM

I have had it with Coinbase. They are already on my blacklist. If anyone from Coinbase is reading (and I'm sure you are), I will never use your service again and I shall forbid any close contact to do so either. Do you want to ruin your business? Because this is how it starts. Coinbase has lose all credibility from now on and whatever their CEO says should be disregarded.

You and this "industry" can start your own coin and get out of here.

ban on this forum.
No. It would be moved to the altcoin section.

Incoming XT shills; you should have self-moderated this one.

They are way past the point of "WTF are you even doing". At first they used a consensus re-implementation (Bitcoin-Ruby) that, surprise surprise, broke consensus with Bitcoin. So, they thought, hey, let's write yet another consensus re-implementation and ignore what the person who broke the last one wrote.
There also is this, where coinbase first learns on IRC that zero conf transactions don't have protection from double-spends. Maybe they recruit from Reddit.
I honestly think there is a good chance they are the next mtgox, I may be wrong, but I will never store funds there.
Downvoted on reddit. What a surprise.  Roll Eyes

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:36:04 PM

For example knight22 is such a troll (can't see what he is posting due to my ignore list, but it's certainly pro XTcoin). Letting these trolls proceed spreading their lies and propaganda is not positive for the Bitcoin community.

After all, XTcoiners have their own forum, yet they come over to Bitcoin to advertise and complain.

Theymos, please enforce bans!
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:40:35 PM

I have had it with Coinbase. They are already on my blacklist. If anyone from Coinbase is reading (and I'm sure you are), I will never use your service again and I shall forbid any close contact to do so either. Do you want to ruin your business? Because this is how it starts. Coinbase has lose all credibility from now on and whatever their CEO says should be disregarded.

You and this "industry" can start your own coin and get out of here.

ban on this forum.
No. It would be moved to the altcoin section.

Incoming XT shills; you should have self-moderated this one.

They are way past the point of "WTF are you even doing". At first they used a consensus re-implementation (Bitcoin-Ruby) that, surprise surprise, broke consensus with Bitcoin. So, they thought, hey, let's write yet another consensus re-implementation and ignore what the person who broke the last one wrote.
There also is this, where coinbase first learns on IRC that zero conf transactions don't have protection from double-spends. Maybe they recruit from Reddit.
I honestly think there is a good chance they are the next mtgox, I may be wrong, but I will never store funds there.
Downvoted on reddit. What a surprise.  Roll Eyes

I wonder what bitcoin Core will become when all the industry will move over. I don't expect it to get beyond this forum ever and probably turns to be an altcoin itself.

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 05:40:59 PM

BitPay is also a commerce processor, they are essentially equivalent to Coinbase. I don't even know why Blockchain is there and why they are relevant. Based on BitPay's signature being first I'd gamble they wrote the letter.

I don't plan to use them anymore where I can avoid it. This is how you fuck up Bitcoin, by starting to get involved in major development issues as if you're a company lobbying the US government. We don't want that shit, that's centralisation.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:43:39 PM

BitPay is also a commerce processor, they are essentially equivalent to Coinbase. I don't even know why Blockchain is there and why they are relevant. Based on BitPay's signature being first I'd gamble they wrote the letter.

I don't plan to use them anymore where I can avoid it. This is how you fuck up Bitcoin, by starting to get involved in major development issues as if you're a company lobbying the US government. We don't want that shit, that's centralisation.

Core is under centralized development. Decentralization = freedom of choice. Stop being such an hypocrite.

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 05:45:44 PM

Unfortunately, we're getting kind of fucked here if all of the large companies are going to start running code for Bitcoin XT and trying to move us all away from Bitcoin Core. For the average Bitcoiner stuff like that is going to cause a problem with freedom of choice.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:47:22 PM

Unfortunately, we're getting kind of fucked here if all of the large companies are going to start running code for Bitcoin XT and trying to move us all away from Bitcoin Core. For the average Bitcoiner stuff like that is going to cause a problem with freedom of choice.

You'll still be free to run and use bitcoin Core. No one is forcing you to switch.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 05:51:57 PM

You'll still be free to run and use bitcoin Core. No one is forcing you to switch.
Yet you guys are trying to force over control to XT by various schemes and this one being manipulation by using another company. God knows what Hearn promised the CEO of Coinbase.

Core is under centralized development. Decentralization = freedom of choice. Stop being such an hypocrite.
Wrong analogy. We're talking about decentralization as in nodes, not decentralization of development.

Letting these trolls proceed spreading their lies and propaganda is not positive for the Bitcoin community. After all, XTcoiners have their own forum, yet they come over to Bitcoin to advertise and complain.
Theymos, please enforce bans!
They certainly are testing the limits.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 06:00:31 PM

Yet you guys are trying to force over control to XT by various schemes and this one being manipulation by using another company. God knows what Hearn promised the CEO of Coinbase.

Companies will use the tool that best fit their needs and right now they need more capacity so Core does not correspond to their needs anymore. That's the reality no matter how mad you get about it. And no, they are not willing to wait forever because there is money at stack. Plain and simple.

Wrong analogy. We're talking about decentralization as in nodes, not decentralization of development.

Both are equally important.

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 06:01:58 PM

At the end of the day it should be the general public who make this decision, not a few companies who want to force it onto all of us. I'm extremely disappointed in Coinbase for trying to push it this hard and also in BitPay and Blockchain for trying to push it. It is not their decision to make, and unfortunately if a bunch of big Bitcoin companies move over to XT we won't have a choice anymore.

And then we're no longer Bitcoin, we've changed into Bitcoin XT. Bitcoin is effectively dead if we have been forced to change to XT, the dream is gone. We need a change that everyone agrees with that is simply made through consensus.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 06:07:13 PM

At the end of the day it should be the general public who make this decision, not a few companies who want to force it onto all of us. I'm extremely disappointed in Coinbase for trying to push it this hard and also in BitPay and Blockchain for trying to push it. It is not their decision to make, and unfortunately if a bunch of big Bitcoin companies move over to XT we won't have a choice anymore.

And then we're no longer Bitcoin, we've changed into Bitcoin XT. Bitcoin is effectively dead if we have been forced to change to XT, the dream is gone. We need a change that everyone agrees with that is simply made through consensus.

Fist off, we wouldn't be in this situation if Core would have come up with a compromise that satisfy everybody faster than this. It is still not too late thought.

You know Satoshi himself envisioned such a path XT is going?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 06:09:07 PM

Stop with the nonsense.

You are known to be an XT shill and have no authority to offer any opinion of any value to this forum.

Why don't you just move to the bitcoin.com forum and fork off?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 06:09:32 PM

Companies will use the tool that best fit their needs and right now they need more capacity so CoreBitcoin does not correspond to their needs anymore. That's the reality no matter how mad you get about it. And no, they are not willing to wait forever because there is money at stack. Plain and simple.

By all means do fork off to your alt coins. I expect it will be quite some comedy.

Their money is a pile of worthless fiat. It carries no weight in the Bitcoin world.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 06:14:43 PM

Stop with the nonsense.

You are known to be an XT shill and have no authority to offer any opinion of any value to this forum.

What nonesens? I provided the exact quote he made on that matter.

Of course we ALL agree it would be great to be able to run a full node with the complete blockchain on a Nokia phone but that solution didn't arrive and now it is simply time to move forward according to the more realistic path envisioned by Satoshi.

brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 06:20:30 PM

Stop with the nonsense.

What nonesens? I provided the exact quote he made on that matter.

Of course we ALL agree it would be great to be able to run a full node with the complete blockchain on a Nokia phone but that solution didn't arrive and now it is simply time to move forward according to the more realistic path envisioned by Satoshi.

Satoshi's plan is incompatible with current implementation of Bitcoin.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: