Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:07:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you quit your day job to go full time on Cryptonote (XMR, Aeon, BBR)?  (Read 757 times)
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:23:38 PM

Are you inspired by those bitcoin millionaires like Ver and Voorhees? (https://youtu.be/8zKuoqZLyKg & https://youtu.be/GFoC7-y25h0) Are you thinking of filing a resignation letter on your day job (if you have any) and focus on promoting superior blockchain technologies instead?  

I believe this next "cryptorush" will see two things happen: for the first time, serious capital and attention will start considering the next generation of blockchains after the original bitcoin and privacy/fungibility will become major concerns for digital money.  If enough money and attention flows into the Cryptonote of your choice, will you go full time?  Keep your day job?  Retire to an island and sip champagne for the rest of your days?  

Me? I do have a day job and I consider cryptocurrency as my side job. I have enjoyed my job for a long time, and I believe we have mutually benefited each other for a long while now.  Unfortunately, many recent developments have led me to believe that my fortunes may lie elsewhere.  I also have tasted wealth for a brief time and learned that it is a lot like sugar: incredible as it first hits your tongue, but slowly your body adjusts to the intensity and leaves you always craving more in a neverending spiral of hedonism.  So relaxing on an island for the rest of my days or going full-Dan-Bilzerian isn't appealing to me either (https://instagram.com/danbilzerian/).    

In exactly two years, in the fall of 2017 my contract with my current employer will run out.  If some crazy black swan makes me significantly wealthy before then I can leave earlier, but otherwise I'll spend the next two years learning about cryptocurrency, cryptography, and finance and make a decision at that point whether I want to re-sign or resign.  If I have the funds at that point I'll look into creating cryptocurrency based companies, or if not see what jobs are available in the then-booming fintech industry. 

How about you?

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

Why should I leave my job? its my life bro, its the magic.

~CfA~

boolberry

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:04:03 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2015, 12:14:45 AM by boolberry

CryptoNote technology continues to evolve and I believe the market will allow for many CryptoNote related businesses to thrive. As the privacy and fungibility limitations of bitcoin become more obvious to the general population (perhaps after blockchain analysis encourages more widespread use of blacklists for "tainted" bitcoin by companies in some jurisdictions) the demand for privacy will grow. Unlike Zerocash, CryptoNote has the unique advantage of providing privacy by default with optional transparency on demand (in addition to cryptography that has been much more thoroughly vetted).

As was the case with bitcoin, those who build businesses around Monero, Aeon and Boolberry now will be extremely well positioned down the road as interest in CryptoNote technology grows.  The applications for CryptoNote are endless. Use your imagination to come up with an idea and build a business around it!
trollercoaster
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:11:52 AM

Why would I work when I can sip champagne beer!
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:15:42 AM

most peoples attitude around here kinda defeats the whole purpose of crypto in the first place, ie whats the point of being an alternative to the greedy bankers if we ourselves become the greedy bankers  Huh

the whole idea of p2p currency is to take the money changers out of the equations, making a fulltime living off p2p currency means you're a money changer  Lips sealed

but pretty much all this is lost on the get rich quick crowd that plagues this scene.
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:22:34 AM

Why would I work when I can sip champagne beer!

You don't need to be rich to do that, man.  

most peoples attitude around here kinda defeats the whole purpose of crypto in the first place, ie whats the point of being an alternative to the greedy bankers if we ourselves become the greedy bankers  Huh

Human greed will not be solved in the near term.  We are wired to seek more and more, but hopefully at least with digital money we will be able to provide equal access to money for all humans.  There will still be the ultra rich, and the greedy, and the money changers.  If you think that's going away, you're naive.  But the very key difference is that a brilliant artist, programmer, mathematician, or writer in Senegal or China can get paid the same money that a brilliant and well connected Harvard Scholar does.  There will be no more artificial barriers to wealth where you have to qualify to even play the game.  

Everyone will be invited to participate in a global meritocracy.

trollercoaster
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:23:51 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2015, 12:35:07 AM by trollercoaster

the whole idea of p2p currency is to take the money changers out of the equations, making a fulltime living off p2p currency means you're a money changer  Lips sealed

but pretty much all this is lost on the get rich quick crowd that plagues this scene.

I have no interest in usury & communism.. if you have an opportunity to make yourself wealthy from this technology before the stampede why wouldn't you.. Huh
gio3442

Activity: 179
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:24:03 AM

Peggy, those are early adopters. They had the chance to acquire coins for nothing.  
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:36:55 AM

Peggy, those are early adopters. They had the chance to acquire coins for nothing.  

That's untrue.  Compared to when they got involved, the current prices of Cryptonote coins are also "nothing".  Any middle-class person can take the same risks I have, and that they did.  When they were getting involved in Bitcoin in 2010/2011, it was an overpriced nerd toy with no real use... but they saw something else in it.  Maybe they weren't able to understand the full scope of what they were dealing with, but they knew that it was no mere fad.  

They realized this was going to be a fundamental transformation in the way money worked across all of civilization.  ...And I firmly believe that Cryptonote is going to be a fundamental transformation in the way a blockchain works across all of cryptocurrency.  

The 34-year-old Roger Ver began investing in bitcoins in early 2011—and made his first million from the virtual currency that same year—which saw prices skyrocket from around $0.30 to $32 before settling at $2. He bought his first bitcoins at around $1.  
(http://www.cnbc.com/2013/12/02/meet-bitcoin-jesus-a-virtual-currency-millionaire.html)    

It is definitely a risk, and there's always a chance that the $$$thousands I've spent on Cryptonote coins over the past year blows up in my face, and the hundreds of hours I've spent reading about them was a total waste.  

But this is the nature of risk.  A creature who does not embrace risk has already allowed their soul to wither, and the death of their body surely won't be far behind.

The future is bright, my friends.  

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:40:59 AM

Human greed will not be solved in the near term.  We are wired to seek more and more, but hopefully at least with digital money we will be able to provide equal access to money for all humans.  There will still be the ultra rich, and the greedy, and the money changers.  If you think that's going away, you're naive.  But the very key difference is that a brilliant artist, programmer, mathematician, or writer in Senegal or China can get paid the same money that a brilliant and well connected Harvard Scholar does.  There will be no more artificial barriers to wealth where you have to qualify to even play the game.  

Everyone will be invited to participate in a global meritocracy.

kinda missing my point, you'll never get rid of greed thats a given, but p2p currencies can be created to avoid the money changers most definitely., well its actually p2p currencies entire modus operandi.
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:49:10 AM

kinda missing my point, you'll never get rid of greed thats a given, but p2p currencies can be created to avoid the money changers most definitely., well its actually p2p currencies entire modus operandi.

Have you successfully gotten some of your non-techie friends interested in Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency?  I have, at least ten.  And I probably wouldn't have been able to do it without services like Coinbase that make it easy for the average layperson to get involved.  Most people don't like to test out different Linux distros and make cold wallets. 

They are happy to pay for a service that takes care of all that for them for a modest fee.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:53:39 AM

Marvelous we got another guy who came to crypto to "get rich quick"
Just what we needed.. we have to many coin "users"

by the way good luck with that.

FUD first & ask questions later™
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 07:00:42 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2015, 05:08:43 AM by americanpegasus

Marvelous we got another guy who came to crypto to "get rich quick"
Just what we needed.. we have to many coin "users"

by the way good luck with that.

No way.  If it happens, it won't be my fault.  Like I said before; I'm interested in building things and doing something with wealth, but you can't create a new decentralized currency from nothing without making a few people rich.  Unfortunately it's just not possible.  

So you might as well attempt to make the right people rich, the kind that will at least do something positive with wealth and not solely build billion dollar effigies to themselves. 

Wms4vuFjLeoHff49oNkftjNt2mS2FfY7h5QNwj62oTFrZ9P3RK6xv9t8bUWGcxrLJ8iVAVay6hrqAcJ YjYvv54Vr2ZsbBnwNi

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: