Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:19:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-11-08] US Government to Sell Over 44,000 Bitcoins Today  (Read 586 times)
coinyoo (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:01:34 AM

US Government to Sell Over 44,000 Bitcoins Today
The US Marshals Services is auctioning off the remaining 44,000 BTC confiscated from Ross Ulbricht for the duration of the Silk Road investigation these days.
http://www.coindesk.com/us-marshals-final-silk-road-bitcoin-auction/

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:07:44 PM

I'm curious if this will has any deeper impact on the Bitcoin price. Currently, there is not a deep price decline to see.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6090

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:10:39 PM

I'm curious if this will has any deeper impact on the Bitcoin price. Currently, there is not a deep price decline to see.

I'm really curious as well , but I don't think it will do much since it's one buyer so it won't really affect the demand I suppose unless the man who buys them from the US marshals start selling them just after that on exchanges .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:19:44 PM

Pretty relieved to hear that the United States government will not be having any more Bitcoins in their possession, after this particular sale. Those 200-250K coins in their hands was always like a ticking time-bomb. Now I just hope that they will not seize anymore Bitcoins from anyone, just like they snatched them from Ross Ullbricht.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 03:19:34 PM

The subject of this thread is misleading.
This article was published on November 5th, not November 8th.
The auction was completed on Thursday
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/05/usa-bitcoin-auction-idUSL1N1302BJ20151105
glerand

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 04:24:41 PM

The auction finished 3 days ago. It is great the overhang is cleared. It is good for the future bitcoin price.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 04:29:03 PM

I'm really curious as well , but I don't think it will do much since it's one buyer so it won't really affect the demand I suppose unless the man who buys them from the US marshals start selling them just after that on exchanges .

If they sell all the coins in one go then you should expect it to very quickly decline over a fast period of time. But, if the buyer doesn't sell on straight away or they sell to a large company such as coinbase then the value of bitcoin will not change by very much!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 05:17:47 PM

The auction finished 3 days ago. It is great the overhang is cleared. It is good for the future bitcoin price.

It will not affect the future Bitcoin prices by much. The volumes are not that big. For example, when the spike occurred a few days back, the combined trade volumes in all the major Bitcoin exchanges was over BTC500,000 in 24-hours time period. I just hope that some institutional investor purchased all those coins, for long term storage.
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 10:20:00 PM

It will not affect the future Bitcoin prices by much. The volumes are not that big. For example, when the spike occurred a few days back, the combined trade volumes in all the major Bitcoin exchanges was over BTC500,000 in 24-hours time period. I just hope that some institutional investor purchased all those coins, for long term storage.

Please stop looking at BS trade volume from BS exchanges.

I thought we've established this.

All Chinese exchanges volume numbers are all false. I would only expect some rookie journalist to make this mistake not a long time member here.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 04:18:30 PM

Please stop looking at BS trade volume from BS exchanges.

I thought we've established this.

All Chinese exchanges volume numbers are all false. I would only expect some rookie journalist to make this mistake not a long time member here.

I am not even considering these Chinese exchanges such as BTC-China, Huobi, LakeBTC and OK Coin. I have quoted my figures from reputed Bitcoin exchanges such as Bitstamp, BTC-e, Kraken, Bitfinex, and LocalBitcoins (the first two exchanges reported a volume of more then 100,000 BTC during the 24-hour period).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: