Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:10:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: generating and guessing BTC-adresses  (Read 3950 times)
vlom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1117

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:47:23 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Hi

i have some questions concerning BTC-addresses.

when i generate a new address e.g. with multiunit HD.
- my wallets knows all the addresses that have been generated yet?
- are theses addresses saved in the blockchain?
- as far as i know the address is saved in the blockchain when it was used. you can generate an address offline, right?
- if two persons generate the same address offline and then start to use it. what will happen?
- is it possible to guess a specific address? and when my guess is correct and this wallet is not encrypted.

thanks for answers.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 12:54:36 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Hi

Multibit HD?

No.

No.

- as far as i know the address is saved in the blockchain when it was used. you can generate an address offline, right?

Yes, used addresses are stored in the blockchain (to some extend) and yes you can generate an address offline. In fact thats the normal way to do it.

- if two persons generate the same address offline and then start to use it. what will happen?

If two persons generated the same address they share the funds. Each of them can spend everything.

- is it possible to guess a specific address? and when my guess is correct and this wallet is not encrypted.

thanks for answers.

Yes, is possible to "guess" a private key to an address and be able to spend someone elses funds. But its in the realm humans usually call impossible. Its the same realm where all the air molecules collect into a corner of your room and you die.

I think you assume somehow that its checked whether or not an address was already generated. Thats not the case. There are so many possible private keys (2256) for so many possible different addresses (2160) that I can sit at home generating a 36 million private keys and addresses per second and still cant find one that has funds on them. Everyone on earth could do this and the chances are still so small you are more likely to hit the lotto jackpot several weeks in a row.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Crypt0Ninja

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

Bitcoin Investor & Programmer

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:07:19 PM

Hi

thanks for answers.

I'm pretty sure you wont hit any dublicates, since the system will not allow it.

Investing in Bitcoin since 2010.
iram66680

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 02:15:25 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Hi

thanks for answers.

I'm pretty sure you wont hit any dublicates, since the system will not allow it.
Most wallets are not designed to check for the address collision as it is impossible. A weak random number generator can make private keys guessable or if the random number generator is bugged and it can generate the same address everytime. See the most recent incident in blockchain.info android app.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 04:31:55 PM

Hi

Multibit HD?

i uses this wallet:

https://multibit.org

If two persons generated the same address they share the funds. Each of them can spend everything.

anybody know if this already happened?

It did, but only because the wallets did not use the whole range of possible private keys. Due to a bug on android devices the range was limited to 232 or 4294967296 which is quite small compared to 2160 or 1.4615016373309029182036848327163 * 1048 which is a number with 49 decimal digits.

achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6705

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 04:43:54 PM

Most wallets are not designed to check for the address collision as it is impossible....

why is this impossible?
It would need to rescan the blockchain and every transaction to see if that address has been used before. It takes a lot of time to do that so that every time you want a new address, it would take hours for it to finish rescanning.

and how do i know that my newly generated address is really new? i never checked that. so possibly i generate an address and someone else had already generated this one. then you send me some coins. and uups a few weeks later this coins are gone because someone else received them to - by hazard - and spent them.
It is assumed. With a good random number generator, the likelihood of a collision is next to nothing. There have been cases where addresses have been generated multiple times on different devices but that was due to poorly written random number generators. You can check yourself if an address has been used before by just looking it up on a block explorer. However, to do this in a wallet is considered poor practice since it requires using an outside API, which may not be reliable and most good wallets don't want to rely on someone else to do the work.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 04:51:19 PM

@shorena: thank you. do you have a link/source?

-> https://bitcoin.org/en/alert/2013-08-11-android

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 05:45:17 PM

-snip-
edit: a further questions:
i generated an address. then I encrypted my wallet. nobody can spent my coins even though this address will be generated in the future. right?

No, a private key is nothing more than a number. You encrypt it locally so no one can look at it. If however someone should guess the same number as you, their version is not encrypted and they can use it without the password.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 06:32:33 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

-snip-
i generated an address. then I encrypted my wallet. nobody can spent my coins even though this address will be generated in the future. right?

No, a private key is nothing more than a number. You encrypt it locally so no one can look at it. If however someone should guess the same number as you, their version is not encrypted and they can use it without the password.

Angry then bitcoin is really insecure.

If that is your conclusion, so is everything else. The connection to your online banking, to paypal, facebook, google and many other encrypted connections are secured by the same mathematical principles. Eliptic curves -> https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Elliptic_Curve_Cryptography and our limitation to check all these possibilities.

Lincoln6Echo
Legendary

Activity: 2459
Merit: 1057

Don't use bitcoin.de if you care about privacy!

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 07:06:46 PM

-snip-

Only because our brains ability to imagine possiblities when it comes to big numbers is very limited doesn't mean it is likley to happen.
If I remember correctly the adress space is something like 2^160, right? Good Luck finding a collision!  Smiley
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 10:46:14 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

-snip-

The number of possibilities is so much more that it'll take more then the energy then the heat death of the universe to generate it.

More background: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4014090/is-it-safe-to-ignore-the-possibility-of-sha-collisions-in-practice
vlom (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1117

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:51:38 AM

interesting. @John (John K.) thans for the background link. i think it is important to understand BTC if you want to use it.
Was

Activity: 75
Merit: 12

We are Satoshi.

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 12:22:14 AM

What if someone were to generate keypairs randomly while simultaneously scanning the blockchain for any addresses generated that have previous inputs? How unlikely is it to generate a 'used' address?

We Are Satoshi.
USB-S

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 12:40:14 AM

What if someone were to generate keypairs randomly while simultaneously scanning the blockchain for any addresses generated that have previous inputs? How unlikely is it to generate a 'used' address?
If you're running several machines with full blast, I think you should get atleast 1 address in 10-20 years. I don't know the exact odds though.
Odds increase as more wallets are being created.
Sooner or later we do have to switch to a new algo because the rise of global computing power.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
achow101
Legendary
expert

Merit: 6705

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 12:58:50 AM

If you're running several machines with full blast, I think you should get atleast 1 address in 10-20 years. I don't know the exact odds though.
Odds increase as more wallets are being created.
Sooner or later we do have to switch to a new algo because the rise of global computing power.
I think your odds are very very very wrong. Do your research before posting.

There are 2^160 or about 1,460,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possible addresses.
It is going to take a very very long time to exhaust all of those addresses. And the likelihood of a collision is so small that you won't be able to get a collision in 20 years.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4664

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 03:05:23 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2015, 04:20:41 PM by DannyHamilton

If you run 1 billion computers that are each generating and checking the balance of 1 billion addresses per second, you would (at best) have a 1% chance of finding a 'used' address in about 2,190,476 years.

Lets look at the math.  It really isn't that difficult...

There are 2160 possible addresses.

2160 is approximately 1.46 X 1048 total addresses.

If 1 billion computers are generating 1 billion addresses per second, that's:

1,000,000,000 X 1,000,000,000 = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (or 1 X 1018) addresses per second.

There are about 31,557,600 seconds in a year.

So if we multiply the number of seconds in a year by the number of addresses per second, you'll get about 3.16 X 1025 addresses per year.

If we divide the total number of addresses possible by the number of addresses that can be checked per year, we find that it would take:

1.46 X 1048 divided by 3.16 X 1025 = 4.6 X 1022 years to check all the addresses.

Divide that number by 100, and we find that it will take 4.6 X 1020 years to check 1% of the addresses.

There can never be more than 2,100,000,000,000,000 addresses storing a balance at any given moment in time.  Therefore, if we assume that bitcoins are spread out with exactly 1 satoshi in every address, we can divide the  4.6 X 1020 years by the number of potential addresses...

4.6 X 1020 divided by 2.1X1014 = 2,190,476 years.
makcik

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 02:31:22 PM

Here are the answers according to what I think.
No, your wallet doesn't save all the addresses generated. In fact, it only saves address of your wallets which are you using currently. Nothing other than that. These addresses aren't saved in blockchain either. But, if someone in the future gets this address then, yes it will be saved on blockchain's server.
And two persons cannot generate the same address offline, its merely impossible for this to happen..
Such a long string of Numbers and alphabets can never be exactly the same.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 02:40:13 PM

Here are the answers according to what I think.
No, your wallet doesn't save all the addresses generated. In fact, it only saves address of your wallets which are you using currently. Nothing other than that. These addresses aren't saved in blockchain either.

Addresses that have been used in the past are indirectly stored in the blockchian as part of the TX data. Pubkey/script is stored; address is the hash.

But, if someone in the future gets this address then, yes it will be saved on blockchain's server.

Bitcoin is not a server client system, which server are you talking about?

And two persons cannot generate the same address offline, its merely impossible for this to happen..
Such a long string of Numbers and alphabets can never be exactly the same.

Not exactly, its just very unlikely see the answer by DannyHamilton direclty above your post.

Was

We are Satoshi.

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 03:13:13 PM

Help me get this straight... A single Public Key can have multiple private keys?

I mean, can I use Vanitygen and input an exact address, in hopes of generating the keypair?

thanks

We Are Satoshi.
Was

We are Satoshi.

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 03:15:34 PM

Thanks for the clarification Danny, really appreciate your time and contribution. Great explanation

We Are Satoshi.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: