Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:40:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Halving is coming next year, is it time to invest in more miners?  (Read 1560 times)
Sixt5 (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 03:52:22 PM

Price of BTC could double, could triple, could fall to nothing it's all a gamble.. I'm currently mining .07 a day and would hate to mine half that at the current price.

What are you doing to prepare? I currently have one sp30, 9 s3 and 1 s5.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 04:11:36 PM

Unless you have free power it would make sense to invest in the most power efficient miner you can buy, and at present that would be S7. If you do not have free power what is your cost per kWh? Hashnest charges flat fee of 9.71 cents per kWh for hosted S7 hash at Hashnest. If your power cost per kWh is less than 9.71 cents you should run an S7 at home, if you can handle the noise and have a dedicated circuit for the miner. If your power cost is over 9.71 cents/kW/h (and most locations are) you should just buy S7 hash at Hashnest. Check your power bill for kWh cost.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 04:15:25 PM

Unless you have free power it would make sense to invest in the most power efficient miner you can buy, and at present that would be S7. If you do not have free power what is your cost per kWh? Hashnest charges flat fee of 9.71 cents per kWh for hosted S7 hash at Hashnest. If your power cost per kWh is less than 9.71 cents you should run an S7 at home, if you can handle the noise and have a dedicated circuit for the miner. If your power cost is over 9.71 cents/kW/h (and most locations are) you should just buy S7 hash at Hashnest. Check your power bill for kWh cost.

Personally I would wait and see underclock on Avalon 6.  No one has shown what it can do yet.  Until we see it hard to say what is best.

I expect soon someone will have an Avalon 6 and show us hoepfully a good underclock. The 4.1 was amazing on underclock hopefully the 6 will be the same.
Sixt5 (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 05:22:05 PM

I do have free power but it's limited so I cannot abuse it. I'd like to stay at my current limits.. Best case I would sell my s3s and get s7
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:24:11 AM

I do have free power but it's limited so I cannot abuse it. I'd like to stay at my current limits.. Best case I would sell my s3s and get s7

better to go with the s7, even with free power, because s7, have a better resell value in the future, this is a big advantages

in the casethe price will not skyrocket and you need to sell your miner to have your roi
TECHNO55

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:35:35 AM

We don't know yet. Probably the bitcoin price will skyrocket again and you will get break even or even can be able to get extra profits with your current miners. If mining business is still profitable, more resources will be put into this industry.
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:45:27 AM

You're pretty lucky. I'm mostly mining on Hashnest, electricity here is so damn expensive plus it's really hot especially in summer. Figured I'd just invest all the btc I have and will have in Hashnest up until next year, like 1 month or so before the expected having.

It's all in, if the price doesn't rise up and goes the other way around I'd be dead.

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 11:39:30 AM

We don't know yet. Probably the bitcoin price will skyrocket again and you will get break even or even can be able to get extra profits with your current miners. If mining business is still profitable, more resources will be put into this industry.

Exactly, I would also wait and see. Mining is full of uncertainties and it will be even more uncertain with the halving that approaches. Mining market dynamics are changing very fast and you can easily lose a lot of money if you make a bad decision.
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 01:11:21 PM

It ain't easy to just decide what you should do today when you know that the values you are going to get for that thing is uncertain...
Just wait and watch, don't go ahead blindly...

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:04:12 AM

There will probably be a jump in Bitcoin pricing a month or so before the halfing, but it will then recede some (likely retaining SOME of the bump) a month or two afterwards.

I don't anticipate it doubling (though it wouldn't shock me), more like a 60-70% peak jump I'm guessing, then back down to 30-50% higher than pre-bump as a "stable" price over time.

ALL predictions are speculation though, and many things can happen to make even GOOD speculation look bad in 20/20 hindsight.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ALToids

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:29:05 PM

Irrespective of what happens to the price, the amount of bitcoin earned per block will be cut almost exactly in half (since fees are variable).  The value of the coin may change compared to fiat but unless your operating costs get cut many will have to bow out.
CryptoBjorn

Activity: 714

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:32:55 PM

I think it is a very good time yes. BTC has grown enormously so either the supporters or the whales will keep the mining profitable and sustain the network.

Meaning if current price don't change by then.. BTC will be changed forever..
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:10:36 AM

Irrespective of what happens to the price, the amount of bitcoin earned per block will be cut almost exactly in half (since fees are variable).  The value of the coin may change compared to fiat but unless your operating costs get cut many will have to bow out.
Come on bitcoin.  You've got about 8.75 months to double or triple your value or the proverbial !@#$ is going to hit the mining fan and splatter a whole crap-ton of fecal matter on miners walls the world-over.

I myself wouldn't invest in any miners until after the halving honestly.  Far better to see what your prospective ROI will be once the halving has already occurred, and who knows, bitcoin has just as much chance of being worth far less than it is today as it does rocketing to the moon at this point imho.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 10:36:39 PM

I will buy some more miners come january. With the halving i can't see bitcoin price go back to 250 again so with a s7 miner it is profitable for sure.

Brob12321

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 03:03:19 AM

If the LTC block halving was any indication of what is to come, it doesn't look like BTC mining will be very profitable.  For those who don't recall, the Litecoin price stayed pretty much steady the difficulty went down like 5% and then jumped back up to prehalving difficulty like the next week. 
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 05:06:27 AM

If the LTC block halving was any indication of what is to come, it doesn't look like BTC mining will be very profitable.  For those who don't recall, the Litecoin price stayed pretty much steady the difficulty went down like 5% and then jumped back up to prehalving difficulty like the next week. 

LTC is a bad example. The miners are much more efficient on electricity then BTC miners.

But the price did double compared to what it was prior to the halving.

BTC Difficulty will NEVER come down but the price might double.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 09:31:21 PM

LTC has by far not as much interests Bitcoin. It is a cheap rip off in my perception. Currently a near 5 billion market vs a 137 million market cap.

So yes to be real, there is no comparison here. WIthout a price raise dozen of big provides will be bankrupt in no time; bitmain,spondoolies etc.

ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 09:32:55 PM

If you think to invest then i think that the best time is now, get a little profit and watch what will happen at the halving period, many miners will quit so the difficulty will be decreased too.
vortexz
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 07:55:00 AM

I don't see the difficulty decreasing right now it's sky rocketiiiiing
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 08:46:21 AM

Quote from: vortexz link=topic=misconfiguratio#msg12994144 date=1447746900
I don't see the difficulty decreasing right now it's sky rocketiiiiing

Folk seem to be coming out of wood work to 'buy' one or both of my KNC Titan 350mh Scrypt Miners (now doing LTC) to convert to BTC.  Just turned down 8 BTC for one.
So maybe from that sense of converting LTC to BTC mined you are correct on your 'halving' premise.

Then again only thing that I know of coming out to compete with the Titans on such a way to get BTC is the 'Alcheminer II" and at 512 mh for $4950 usd and 1150 watts...IN SIX MONTHS!
they seem to think they can ROI and sell them then at that price/speed

Damn! I hope they are correct my 2 KNC 350mh Titans at 1250w each will play nice just FINE in such a senario ..if SIX MONTHS FROM NOw this 'utopia' were to occur....

me I don't see it

On the other hand I'm pretty sure ..with BTC halving coming up I could get maybe 8 btc or more out of one of my Titan units yet next year after electric...and the halving..and
my 'unicorn view' of btc (and connected ltc) price increase

but again..most folk are shooting for used scrypt miners and then converting LTC to BTC as more eff then just a used home btc miner

only angle I see ...btc miners just don't seem that attractive to folks at the diff and price points they are trying to sell with now

anyway my 2 satoshi's (not like i know wtf is going on with crypto either)

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: