Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:44:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory wallet question  (Read 773 times)
AMVM (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 11:54:00 AM

I tried the FAQ with no success.

Since a while ago I've only used Bitcoin-QT as my wallet and I noticed that my funds were always sent to a Public Key.

I was messing with the Armory Wallet and noticed that I don't know the wallet's Public Key. Is there a way to find it?
I mean it seems that every time I push "receive" in my Armory wallet instead of giving me the wallet's public key it generates a new address that will hold the coins.

This is a security measure, right?
But only Armory Client can show me my funds then? (since only Armory knows where those generated new address are attached to)

Thanks again.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 03:46:07 PM

Funds are always sent to a public key in every wallet, which basically translates to a specific Bitcoin address.

Wallets don't have a single public key unless they have only one address.

Only Armory and any blockchain parser can give you your balance, as usual.

If you want to check the public key associated with an address, you can do so on Armory by right clicking an address
AMVM (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 05:11:05 PM

Funds are always sent to a public key in every wallet, which basically translates to a specific Bitcoin address.

Wallets don't have a single public key unless they have only one address.

Only Armory and any blockchain parser can give you your balance, as usual.

If you want to check the public key associated with an address, you can do so on Armory by right clicking an address

The thing is at BitcoinQT I could just copy paste the wallet's public key to blockchain.info research tool and check all the funds and transactions, on the other hand in Armory there's no Public key directly pointing at the wallet.

The best I was able to do was getting the Wallet's ID.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems there's no Public key of the wallet ITSELF. What Armory client provides are the other public keys generated to store the coins you received (which get stored at "adresses in wallet").
So if I'm right, there's no way to check my funds outside the Armory client, because there's no wallet public key. Each coin transfer generate new public keys using your wallet as a generator.

I don't know if I'm right, but it seems pretty interesting security feature if I'm.
Nobody will be able to watch your finance just by sending you 0.00001 BTC, cause they won't get your actual public key they only get one key Armory client randomly generated using your wallet as some sort of decoder.

EDIT:

LOL, actually it seems it is a feature not a lack of it.
Okay, you can't see your funds outside Armory, but that means nobody can spy your finances, it's a cheap price to pay for this kind of security.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:57:42 PM

Each coin transfer generate new public keys using your wallet as a generator.

Yes, if you use Armory as intended, you will generate a fresh address for every payments received and every change address. You can reuse addresses and force change addresses manually in Armory, but that will reduce your privacy.

You can extract the public key seed as well, but I don't think anybody else but us use that format so that won't help you check your wallet's balance in an blockchain explorer. You can however copy paste all the public keys in your wallet into some explorer if you wish to do so. Again, that will leak a lot of private information. There is no single click way to do this in Armory either.

AMVM (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 08:41:53 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

Sry, all things become clear after I posted here, but your confirmation was needed anyways (since I'm pretty new aroud here).

Damn, this Wallet is awesome! Really If I knew about it earlier I'd have been using it straight away.
It's sad Armory DEV's are having a rough time cause their work is awesome!

I just hope I'm not joining an ending project.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: