Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:46:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: hacking bitcoin transactions  (Read 4690 times)
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 01:15:05 PM

What is the technical reason i cannot listen for new txns, modify them to spend to my address and rebroadcast as my own?

Txns are not encrypted, the target public address is visible and I can modify it and rebroadcast. What am I missing?

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 01:25:05 PM

You're missing signatures.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
DuddlyDoRight

Activity: 318
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2015, 09:08:07 PM

From what I know from testing and reading for some weeks with blockchain-spec and reference client: If I'm an attacker with the intention of cheating for coins I'm going to look in to forking and mining delayed blocks..

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
dex1

Activity: 141
Merit: 115

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 09:54:35 PM

You're missing signatures.

And to make one of them you need private keys.

yenxz

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:28:48 PM

is this really happen?what do you think about algorithm?what algorithm they use?
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 09:22:17 PM

If I'm an attacker with the intention of cheating for coins I'm going to look in to forking and mining delayed blocks..

If you have enough money for this kind of attack you maybe can rollback/invalidate transactions but you are not able grab the coins from these transactions.
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 01:21:00 PM

All transactions, as previously mentioned, are encrypted with digital keys. You would have to be an excellent programmer to break the encryption.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 01:23:16 PM

All transactions, as previously mentioned, are encrypted with digital keys. You would have to be an excellent programmer to break the encryption.
They are not encrypted. They are signed, which means that if any data in that is signed changes, the signature won't match.

Bjiornulf

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 04:44:47 PM

But encryption and signature are pretty much the same thing, right?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2015, 06:55:22 PM

But encryption and signature are pretty much the same thing, right?
No! Encryption is converting a plaintext data to ciphertext so that only a certain persons can know what the plaintext is. Signing requires that the message ( plaintext) is known. It proves that the data was not modified.

avw1982

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 04:42:22 PM

To encrypt the lost Bitcoin details is very hard dude. and he would get his Bitcoin from the hackers If he feels pity only. If he is a good person He could get from him. he willingly he hacked means you can't get your hard earnings back for sure
RealPhotoshoper
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 02:10:28 PM

hacking bitcoin transaction can be possible,as i read before that last year, Hacking Team already mentioned that they’re working on a feature that could expose transactions related to bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Documents have shown that this feature can also expose transactions using litecoin, feathercoin, and namecoin.
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 10:46:02 PM

hacking bitcoin transaction can be possible,as i read before that last year, Hacking Team already mentioned that they’re working on a feature that could expose transactions related to bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Documents have shown that this feature can also expose transactions using litecoin, feathercoin, and namecoin.
source?
makcik

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 04:41:31 PM

You are missing everything. Bitcoins work on a different security algorithm, simply modifying transactions and sending bitcoins to your address will never happen.
Wallet providers are not idiots, they use multi layered security and these methods won't work for it. I don't know the actual method, as I'm not interested in doing hacking. But, whatever it is.. It is complicated.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 05:33:55 PM

You are missing everything. Bitcoins work on a different security algorithm, simply modifying transactions and sending bitcoins to your address will never happen.
Wallet providers are not idiots, they use multi layered security and these methods won't work for it. I don't know the actual method, as I'm not interested in doing hacking. But, whatever it is.. It is complicated.
It is not just the wallet, it is built into the bitcoin protocol itself.

knightkon

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 01:00:24 AM

If I am understanding the correctly, all of the information in the BTC programming is needed in order for the block chain to properly work right.  So I am guessing in order for you to do that, you would have to rewrite the complete block chain from the start so it all lines up.  Am I on the right track with my thinking?

███████████████████████████
██████████▄▄███▄▄██████████
████████▄█████████▄████████
██████▄█████████████▄██████
█████▄███████████████▄█████
█████▀███████████████▀█████
███████▀███████████▀███████
█████████▀███████▀█████████
███████████▀███▀███████████
.BITAMP..
   BITAMP BITCOIN WALLET   
Easy to use, client-side, &
open-source Bitcoin wallet
████████▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄████████
████▄▀▀▀   ▄▄█▄▄   ▀▀▀▄████
█████ ▀▄▄▀▀     ▀▀▄▄▀ █████
█████  █    ███    █  █████
█████  █   ▄███▄   █  █████
█████  █  ███████  █  █████
████▀▄ ▀▄ ███████ ▄▀ ▄▀████
█████▀▄ ▀▄       ▄▀ ▄▀█████
██████▀▄  ▀▄▄ ▄▄▀  ▄▀██████
████████▀▄   █   ▄▀████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▀▀██████████
████▄▀▀▀▄  ▄███▄  ▄▀▀▀▄████
█████   █ ▐█████▌ █   █████
███▄▄▀ ▀▄  ▀███▀  ▄▀ ▀▄▄███
██      ▄██▀▀▀██▄      ███
██     ███▄███ ███     ███
███▄▄▄▄ █████▄▄████ ▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████████████
█████████████████▄▄▄▄█▄████
███████████████████████▀███
█████▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄████████
███████▄▀  ▄█▄█▄  ▀▄███████
██████▄▀   █    █  ▀▄██████
███████    █▀▀▀▀▄   ███████
██████▀▄   █    █  ▄▀██████
███████▀▄  ▀█▀█▀  ▄▀███████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄█████
███▄███████████████████████
████▀█▀▀▀▀█████████████████
|SECURE
ANONYMOUS
INSTANT
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 02:17:00 PM

If I am understanding the correctly, all of the information in the BTC programming is needed in order for the block chain to properly work right.  So I am guessing in order for you to do that, you would have to rewrite the complete block chain from the start so it all lines up.  Am I on the right track with my thinking?

No, "rewriting" the blockchain will not enable you to forge a signature. You either have to break ECDSA (or the specific curve used for bitcoin) or get the private key in question. Also not every single line of code within bitcoin core is needed for the protocoll to work. A large portion is the wallet part that is not required.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 09:31:18 PM

If I am understanding the correctly, all of the information in the BTC programming is needed in order for the block chain to properly work right.  So I am guessing in order for you to do that, you would have to rewrite the complete block chain from the start so it all lines up.  Am I on the right track with my thinking?

Forget about gaining Bitcoin quick and dirty way by hacking, it's not possible. Every part of the Bitcoin security practices was carefully reviewed by the world's greatest security experts, and there are no holes in them. This doesn't mean you shouldn't take your time to learn as much as you can about Bitcoin code, because you can actually get money from that by offering your programming services to others once you figure out what exactly is going on there.
lottoshares

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 11:08:02 PM

If I am understanding the correctly, all of the information in the BTC programming is needed in order for the block chain to properly work right.  So I am guessing in order for you to do that, you would have to rewrite the complete block chain from the start so it all lines up.  Am I on the right track with my thinking?

No, "rewriting" the blockchain will not enable you to forge a signature. You either have to break ECDSA (or the specific curve used for bitcoin) or get the private key in question. Also not every single line of code within bitcoin core is needed for the protocoll to work. A large portion is the wallet part that is not required.

Rewriting the blockchain is impossible for anything but the most recent blocks, and rewriting those would need over 50% of the computational power of the entire network. Each block in the blockchain contains a hash of the previous block in its header. If you attempt to change anything in the previous block its hash changes, and the next block needs to store that changed hash in its header. All Bitcoin nodes store a copy of the blockchain containing those hashes, and if you attempted changing an old block they would refuse to accept it as valid because its hash wouldn't match theirs.

watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 268

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 03:08:38 PM

1. there is nothing encrypted.

2. in user wallet there is a hidden secret "private key" only the true owner of coin can sign "spend" his coin.

3. singature becomes invalid when you change anything in the transaction.
    - you cannot change the amount
    - you cannot change the destination

3. the obstacle to "fake" this signature is
 -  you do not know the key: solution: steal the wallet
  - you cannot fake ECDSA signature: solution: hack ECDSA
  - you cannot change payment: solution: find a SHA collision or RIPEMD collision

currently
ECDSA has not been hacked (nobody knows how to do it)
SHA collision has not been found (nobody knows how to find it)
RIPEMD collision has not been found (nobody knows how to find it)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: