Poll
Question: Would you attend?
Yes
No
Depends on the date.
Depends on the cost.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (Poll) Tack & Tech: 2013  (Read 3016 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 03:27:59 AM
Last edit: November 17, 2012, 05:47:23 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

(Poll Settings: 2 Max votes; Ability to change vote(s))

EDIT: To be clear, this is a serious endeavor.

Envisioned is not a conventional Bitcoin conference/expo, but a combination of a retreat meshed with speaking engagements and tech exhibits, not necessarily all Bitcoin related, yet loosely related. The number of days would be four--Thursday to Sunday, inclusive.

That said, let's brainstorm this a little. I've already taken the liberty to contact the resort via email and look forward to their reply tomorrow.

What I have in mind is not cheap, but if a vacation is planned around the event, the cost is easily offset. (EDIT: May not be as expensive as I fist thought--transportation may be the event goer's biggest expense)

Activities at Paws Up: (EDIT: Listed to elicit emotions.)

Archery
ATV Tours
Equestrian Lessons
Fly-Fishing
Geocaching
Horseback Riding
Hot Air Ballooning
Kids Activities
Lake Activities
Ranch Activities
Rappelling
River Adventures
Sporting Clays
Wilderness Workshops
Inclusive Activities

Goals:

• Up to 200 150(?) people will have full use of the resort for 4 days.
  • Talks, workshops, exhibits, etc., open to the general public (only limited due to capacity regulations).
  • Top-notch videos of all talks.
  • Notable speakers will incur ZERO expenses and paid a small their nominal speaking fee to cover misc.
  • One talk each morning during breakfast, with 3-4 in the evening, each day (12-18 total). (needs revising due to this morphing into a TEDx event) (EDIT: can not be a TEDx project)[/b]
  • Live band all four nights. (check in Thursday, check out Monday)
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 03:28:36 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2012, 03:32:25 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Reserved list of distinguished guests (VIP)/speakers (approximately 40 max):

• 2 Reps from BFL (sincerely--not a joke)
  • 2 Reps from Bitcoin Magazine (not confirmed)
  • Any/all Reps from Bitcoin Foundation (not confirmed)

Plans on attending at least one day:

• Bruno K. (Phinnaeus Gage)
  • Garr255

Suggestions for Speakers:

• Max Keiser
  • Richard Stallman
  • Adrianne Jeffries

Since I've given Josh/BFL so much shit (but a hell of lot less than others have), all expenses will be paid for two people representing BFL, provide ASIC products have been delivered. Hopefully a new line will be in the works so they can showcase it/them.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 03:31:13 AM

Curly: Do you know what the secret of life is?
[holds up one finger]
Curly: This.
Mitch: Your finger?
Curly: One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and the rest don't mean shit.
Mitch: But, what is the "one thing?"
Curly: [smiles] That's what *you* have to find out.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 03:37:58 AM

Seeing as this place is only 4 hours driving from where I live, I'd love to go at least for a day!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 03:43:23 AM

Seeing as this place is only 4 hours driving from where I live, I'd love to go at least for a day!

Great! The list of people is getting longer, therefore I better maintain a list in Post #2 of all who wants to attend.

Any suggestions, Garr, as to what you would to see or hear at Tack & Tech: 2013?

~Bruno K~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 04:02:22 AM

Glamping at The Resort at Paws Up Featured on The Travel Channel

Garr255
Legendary

Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 07:27:21 AM

Well if MNW shows up I'm going skiing with him. dibs. Tongue
Nefario and Atlas should come too!

But in all seriousness, I'd love to get to know the CoinLabs, BitInstant and other guys from successful Bitcoin ventures.

At the event there should be [Will finish writing the post at my convenience lol]

... Looks like I got distracted and am posting this 5 hours after I wrote it. ah well Tongue

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 05:05:28 PM

Well if MNW shows up I'm going skiing with him. dibs. Tongue
Nefario and Atlas should come too!

But in all seriousness, I'd love to get to know the CoinLabs, BitInstant and other guys from successful Bitcoin ventures.

At the event there should be [Will finish writing the post at my convenience lol]

... Looks like I got distracted and am posting this 5 hours after I wrote it. ah well Tongue

I'll post more as I get more information from Paws Up.

~Bruno K~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 05:30:56 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2012, 12:49:47 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Good news! I just spoke with Sheena via instant chat, and she informed me that John is handling the particulars and I should expect an email shortly. The cost for full use does include quarters for all the guests.

Until this is confirmed, I'm leaning toward to having 160 premium lodging spots available, with the other 40 reserved for distinguished quests and speakers. See Post #2 for that list.

~Bruno K~

Located on the resort.

One of the rooms:

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 03:50:01 AM

While waiting for a few more questions to be answered by John at Paws Up, I might as well bump this with some more info.

The tentative date is late September/very early October in 2013.

Any person who has previous spoken at prior conferences and desires to attend will not have to pay a single satoshi. All that would be asked of you is to give a talk (any length) or have a booth set up showcasing your latest wares (also no charge).

Although the attendance may be low as previous conference, the value should come in the video presentations recorded at the event. The expected audience should be no less than 200 people per speaking engagement.

There will be non-bitcoiners present. The staff is huge at this resort, so I would fathom to guess that a few of them may even be in attendance.

I bet nothing mentioned on this brochure was available at previous Bitcoin conferences: http://www.pawsup.com/pdf/Wilderness_Adventures.pdf

Surely, you got to at least like the name: Tack&Tech:2013

~Bruno K~

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 04:03:46 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2012, 04:13:51 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

There's even a Honeymoon Tent: http://www.pawsup.com/glamping/honeymoon-tent.php

Who is planning on getting married next year? How would you like to have the wedding take place in front of your fellow bitcoiners and enjoy the resort free of charge. The only caveat will be that you will have to get married on a Thursday afternoon, thus kicking off the event.

The tenative timeline would look like this:

• Noonish: All check in.
  • Orientation/Wedding
  • Reception Dinner with a couple talks (this should get her further excited)
  • Live band with open bar.
  • Sheep, except for the honeymooners.

A copper tub for two and The Last Best Bed. Need we say more? Pinnacle Camp features our exclusive honeymoon tent: Tango Point. Its private location, incredible views and plethora of romantic amenities make this the quintessential accommodation for honeymoons. Activities like horseback riding and hot air balloon rides as well as gourmet cuisine at your dining pavilion will complete your unforgettable celebration.

greyhawk

Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 09:00:18 AM

Is the live band dank?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 03:34:14 PM

Is the live band dank?

There's an idea. I wonder he'll be able to include Paws Up in Dank's World Tour.

In spirit, Dank will be there, for we'll be in the wilderness with possible some members smoking peace pipes.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 05:41:45 PM

I'm still looking for ideas.

Beside Bitcoin and cryptography, what other tech would be a good fit to join in the mix?

~Bruno K~
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 08:17:35 PM

I might be swayed to DJ for you.   If we can do it during the summer, I would be interested.   I am bringing my fly-fishing gear.  I fish in Montana/Idaho during the summer.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 02:41:17 AM
Last edit: November 17, 2012, 05:49:39 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I might be swayed to DJ for you.   If we can do it during the summer, I would be interested.   I am bringing my fly-fishing gear.  I fish in Montana/Idaho during the summer.

Thanks for the offer, Dalkore. It looks like we're leaning toward October now. (read below for more info)

I spoke with John Romfo (above--click image to view Linkedin page) today on the phone, along with receiving another email from him outlining the package. I had to cut the conversation short due to being with a client at the time, but told him that I will recontact him come Monday. What I did find out is that what's available is in October, therefore we're looking at the first or second week, ideally, with the third/forth reserved as the backup plan.

During this time frame, the tents will not be available due to the cool nights. I'm not sure how this will affect the wedding I envisioned, but it's not a deal breaker.

Per the email I received, since the tents will not be available, the original 200 people staying on the resort has been scaled back to 150 max, depending on the 27 units (70 bedrooms/63 bathrooms) are utilized.

Also, John wrote, "...and you would have exclusive use of the property (no other guests would be present)."

I was mistaken in assuming that "full use" included meals and other activities paid in full. That is not the case, but I do have a workaround up my sleeve.

I have further morphed this idea into a TEDx style event. There is an auditorium/arena that can easily accommodate 500 people. Therefore, bootstrapping with TEDx, tickets can pre-sold to offset some costs, along with paying the keynote speakers.

I do believe that the title and theme of the event is keen: TEDxGreenough: Tack & Tech--Taming the New Frontier. But I do ask for help in defining the theme, and exactly what it would consist of. At this stage, all options are available. Chance are, we're not looking at a pure Bitcoin type conference, but Bitcoin can play a vital role.

(EDIT: Can not be a TEDx endeavor due to their guidelines)

More info forthcoming.

http://www.linkedin.com/company/978830?goback=%2Efcs_GLHD_The+Resort+at+Paws+Up_false_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2&trk=ncsrch_hits
The Resort at Paws Up offers an escape into the magnificence of Montana's pastoral countryside. This authentic Montana resort is discretely nestled among some of the most breathtaking country in the world. Spend a day on horseback, cast a fly in sparkling waters to eager cutthroats, explore the Montana land Lewis and Clark explored, or indulge in unique spa treatments. Choose from 28 luxury ranch vacation homes or 24 impeccably appointed luxury camping tents (glamping) - all featuring an interior landscape rich in rustic elegance different than any other Montana hotel or resort. It's first-class adventure in a wilderness sanctuary you'll never forget.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: