Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:28:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (Announcing) MDM LLC  (Read 2148 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 04:53:14 PM

Forked from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=124413.0

Let's see how cheap we can make the process:

• Dig a 600 kilometers deep hole next to the ocean.
  • Place carbon at bottom of hole.
  • Fill hole up with sea water (no pumps needed).
  • Wait.
  • Pump out water.
  • Retrieve diamonds.
  • (no need to rince)
  • Repeat.
  • Profit.

Luckily, I'm the new guy over at MDM LLC (Monarch Diamond Mines), and we're currently taking pre-orders for the worlds first ever real synthetic diamonds.

To prove that we are deeply (pun intended) commented to this endeavor, here's an image of an auger we're planning on purchasing once the pre-orders start arriving.

Yes, the above auger would not be able to dig a very deep hole, but it will get the hole started so that less time and money will be used once the bigger hole digger, operated by a certified deep hole digger, arrives on scene.

The carbon will be sourced from discarded #2 pencils utilizing the 0.7mm graphite contained within, thus saving the environment, of which MDM LLC is commented to preserving.

MDM LLC is registered in Delaware for tax purposes and because of its close proximity to the the Pacific Ocean.

Any questions?

MD-Mines_Bruno

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 05:15:06 PM

Cheesy

How do you intend to go about the pumping the water out part? The pressure the plumbing has to withstand is directly related to the depth.
You'd need to hire some pretty rare to come by people to help you out with that....

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 05:51:24 PM

How do you intend to go about the pumping the water out part? The pressure the plumbing has to withstand is directly related to the depth.
You'd need to hire some pretty rare to come by people to help you out with that....

My engineer, Pierre, is on top of that, and he assures me that it's not a concern. Without disclosing too much of MDM LLC's secrets, the water from the top of the well will be pumped out first. Our competition is probably planning on pumping the water from the bottom of the well first, but their attempt will be futile. We at MDM LLC believe they are planning on using the LadyByte Pump, whereas we will be using the NaNa Pump.

So far, here is the list of people who have pre-ordered our diamonds:

• Al the Alpaca (1-3" & 2-3.5")
  • Nikki (7-4")
  • Bitcoin100 (1-2")
  • QUarkk (17-5.03")
  • SunnnnnnY (3-201mm & 5-5")
  • IamBOb (14-2")

All our diamonds can be traded in, given full credit for an upgrade at any time.

MD Mines_Bruno
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 06:08:13 PM

Thanks so much for mocking my initial thread.  No hard feelings  Wink

My initial idea was rather:

- gather a large amount of metal, concrete, or whatever strong material you have, and make something like a big cylinder about 2 meters high, 15 meters radius ;
- drill a deep hole in the middle, about 10 centimeters wide ;
- fill the hole with graphite ;
- make a long steal rod that fits in the hole.  It will act as a piston.

- build a large spherical water tank.  About 12 meters radius.  This one will do:

- use some kind of rails so that the tank can only move vertically, and put everything above the cylinder.
- fill the tank and let it press on the piston.
- wait a bit.
- empty the tank, take it away and retrieve the diamonds in the hole.

Where would it fail exactly??

Nolo

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 06:16:19 PM

My engineer, Pierre, is on top of that, and he assures me that it's not a concern. Without disclosing too much of MDM LLC's secrets, the water from the top of the well will be pumped out first. Our competition is probably planning on pumping the water from the bottom of the well first, but their attempt will be futile. We at MDM LLC believe they are planning on using the LadyByte Pump, whereas we will be using the NaNa Pump.

• Nikki (7-4")
  • Bitcoin100 (1-2")
  • QUarkk (17-5.03")
  • IamBOb (14-2")

All our diamonds can be traded in, given full credit for an upgrade at any time.

MD Mines_Bruno

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 06:43:43 PM

Thanks so much for mocking my initial thread.  No hard feelings  Wink

My initial idea was rather:

- gather a large amount of metal, concrete, or whatever strong material you have, and make something like a big cylinder about 2 meters high, 15 meters radius ;
- drill a deep hole in the middle, about 10 centimeters wide ;
- fill the hole with graphite ;
- make a long steal rod that fits in the hole.  It will act as a piston.

- build a large spherical water tank.  About 12 meters radius.  This one will do:

- use some kind of rails so that the tank can only move vertically, and put everything above the cylinder.
- fill the tank and let it press on the piston.
- wait a bit.
- empty the tank, take it away and retrieve the diamonds in the hole.

Where would it fail exactly??

Actually, and sincerely, I wasn't mocking you. Also, not dissing your idea at all. That said, how many diamonds can I put you down for?
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 08:49:37 PM

• Nikki (7-4")
  • Bitcoin100 (1-2")
  • QUarkk (17-5.03")
  • IamBOb (14-2")

MD Mines_Bruno

Do all shares come with a lifetime membership to the douchebag foundation ?

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 08:53:16 PM

Just stick pirate@40 on the bottom of the Mariana trench for awhile.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 10:16:14 PM

• Nikki (7-4")
  • Bitcoin100 (1-2")
  • QUarkk (17-5.03")
  • IamBOb (14-2")

MD Mines_Bruno

Do all shares come with a lifetime membership to the douchebag foundation ?

MD Mines is not affiliated with TDF.

Just stick pirate@40 on the bottom of the Mariana trench for awhile.

There's that racial thing going again. I don't think it's kind to call Mariana's thing a trench (but I like how you think).

DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:18:38 PM

Please ask Nefario to open GLBSE again.

I definately want some shares in this venture!
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 02:51:58 PM

Are there any plans to eventually move this business over to Advanced Diamondized Industrial Carbon (ADIC)? If yes, can I preorder?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 03:28:10 PM

Are there any plans to eventually move this business over to Advanced Diamondized Industrial Carbon (ADIC)? If yes, can I preorder?

MDM LLC has now changed our name to Advanced Strategic Industrial Carbon (ASIC). Since we believe that humanity is a diamond in the rough, why not provide for all carbon based thinking organisms.

Everyone can now STFW, because as you can clearly see, we are taking delivery of this auger.

Full Disclosure: This thread was meant to add humor at the expense of BFL. I have since posted the following:

From this day forward, I will no longer be critical of BFL or their staff unless they fail to produce.

Here's my olive branch: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=124314.msg1335969#msg1335969

~Bruno K.~

I may consider closing this thread if the above conflicts with the intent of this thread.

Peace, BFL.

~Bruno K~
mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:35:23 PM

You ask where this would fail?

The main problem is with your steel piston. This has to have a limited area to apply the force correctly to generate the presures you want. There is of course no problem in generating the forces you need - you dont need deep oceans or even big volumes of steel, you can use pneumatics. But the problem here is you need a small piston to turn a large force into a gigantic presure. And such presure will not be born by common steel -It will break orders of magnitude before you get where you want to go. Perhaps a diamond one might work, but - even that would probably give too much. Not only that, but you need not only pressure but very high temperatures as well. That would probably further jeopardise efforts. Think of your piston as well as your cylinder, although the cylinder is easier as it can be more massive.

The Russians, who do manufacture diamonds do this, I believe by causing the carbon seed to be in the middle of a cooling contracting glob of iron. High pressures in the centres are generated as the iron contracts. The right pressure-temperature time profile is also needed. There was a bbc documentary I saw a few years ago about this and how it was done.

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:56:48 PM

You ask where this would fail?

The main problem is with your steel piston. This has to have a limited area to apply the force correctly to generate the presures you want. There is of course no problem in generating the forces you need - you dont need deep oceans or even big volumes of steel, you can use pneumatics. But the problem here is you need a small piston to turn a large force into a gigantic presure. And such presure will not be born by common steel -It will break orders of magnitude before you get where you want to go.

What would happen exactly?  The piston will break apart?  Where?  It will be in the chamber anyway.  Cracks might appear but the matter will still be here to transmit pressure.

I guess the part that will not be in the chamber can buckle:

But we don't need a long section out of the chamber.  Considering the difference of density between diamond and graphite, if we want to turn a 10cm high cylinder of graphite we need to reduce its height to only about 7cm, iirc?  So we just need 3 cm motion out of the chamber.  I doubt a 3cm high, 10cm wide steel cylinder  would explode, buckle or anything.  Above this, the section can increase so that pressure can be withstood.

Perhaps a diamond one might work, but - even that would probably give too much. Not only that, but you need not only pressure but very high temperatures as well.
Not so high.  About 1,000°C.  Temperature is not really the problem.

The Russians, who do manufacture diamonds do this, I believe by causing the carbon seed to be in the middle of a cooling contracting glob of iron. High pressures in the centres are generated as the iron contracts. The right pressure-temperature time profile is also needed. There was a bbc documentary I saw a few years ago about this and how it was done.
I'm pretty sure I've seen this documentary and yet I'd like to know what would happen in the simpler experiment I've described.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 05:32:43 PM

This is exactly what we came up with, but decided to show the auger nonetheless to throw off our competition. In fact, we already have half the hole dug, but recently moved it to better and more secure location. We don't what our competition looking down our hole and reverse engineering it to see how we dug it. Dig!

On the forum over at Advanced Strategic Industrial Carbon (ASIC), we have this image depicting what the diamonds will long like once produced.

Feel free to join the forum over at ASIC, but don't be surprised if you're banned from using it if you post anything that disses us, for we are a touchy feeling crew.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 12:53:23 AM

Now that dIAMONDs is no longer a viable concern, and it looks like iAmondvon is going to produce first, we can now divulge some closely guarded secrets. Many have asked what's the shape of the hole. It's tubular. What's the hard date for when the diamonds will be ready. 2013.

I'm flying East to talk with the hole drilling team. I'll then walk West to inspect the hole. Then I'll rent a Yugo and go North to buy a Ford to drive south. Only those who get our newsletter knows why I'm heading South.

Monarch Diamond Mines: Soon Home of the World's Largest Diamond
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 01:21:45 AM

I'm pretty sure I've seen this documentary and yet I'd like to know what would happen in the simpler experiment I've described.

The steel compresses as well, and you don't get diamond, just really tightly packed carbon.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: