Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:16:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So 5850s are out of stock where you are, huh?  (Read 2484 times)
Reikoku (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

firstbits: 1kwc1p

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:45:00 AM

I can get ahold of 20, but they don't come cheap sadly (I live in EU, awful sales taxes).

What's the highest offer for any number of XFX Radeon 5850s?

I don't currently own these, but I can get them within 1 working day for the right offer. Don't offer anything below 14 BTC per.

Rei | 1Kwc1pqv54jCg8jvnm3Gu1dqFQYhS34Bow
Trades So Far: 7

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiwiasian

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:02:48 AM

Not really, in the USA I can pick one up used for $150 or less. There are plenty available.

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
benx009

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 04:08:50 AM

Not really, in the USA I can pick one up used for $150 or less. There are plenty available.
Can't say the same for dual-core 5970s or 6990s though... are their rarity & price increases related to the growing popularity of bitcoins Huh
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:11:01 AM

Where?  I can't seem to find any for sale less than $180 or so.
kiwiasian

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:40:00 AM

Where?  I can't seem to find any for sale less than $180 or so.

I've bought two 5850s, both for $150 shipped from the OCN FS forum: http://www.overclock.net/video/

You could also try eBay.

Edit: here's a deal for a new 5850 for $150 shipped as well, but it's currently out of stock. http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-100282XTREME/dp/B004W75ATI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1307342440&sr=1-1

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:04:12 AM

Out of stock doesn't count, because they're not coming back in stock for most places.

And I wasn't really considering buying used, but I suppose that's a possibility for some folks.  Just makes me nervous I'll be stuck with a non-working piece of hardware that cost me $150, and have no recourse or way to get a replacement.
Reikoku (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:40:56 PM

Yeah I can't really compete with used 5850s lol.

kiwiasian

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:50:50 PM

There's really nothing wrong with buying used hardware. Most of us computer geeks love and cherish our hardware and it is difficult to let it depart from our own hands. So there's a pretty low chance of an honset trader selling you malfunctioning hardware.

Also, if you are concerned about warranty buy a used XFX card. They have double lifetime warranty. Or buy any card whose warranty is based on the serial number, like Asus (and Sapphire I think).

Reikoku (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:59:31 PM

I'm always worried with used hardware, because I always assume buying a gamer card used means it's probably been thrashed, overclocked and messed about with.

Warranty is great if all you care about is ensuring the long term future of the card, but I'd rather spend the extra $50 than have the week of downtime on a card right now.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:07:24 PM

I'm always worried with used hardware, because I always assume buying a gamer card used means it's probably been thrashed, overclocked and messed about with.

Warranty is great if all you care about is ensuring the long term future of the card, but I'd rather spend the extra $50 than have the week of downtime on a card right now.
This.  There's usually not enough of a discount on used cards to warrant not just buying a new one in the first place.  Especially for mining, where lack of downtime is key.

However, I'd probably snap up a 5850 @ $150 if I saw one for sale.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:44:38 PM

I snagged one off of ebay for $175 and picked it up locally... then sold the shogun code that came with it for 2btc

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
kiwiasian

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:30:12 PM

Guys, it's not a big deal buying used hardware. So what if it's overclocked? I've bought two used 5850s, both of which are fine.

And what do you mean by "messed around with"?

kiwiasian

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:31:29 PM

But that's alright--you guys can continue being OCD about buying graphics cards used by someone else, while I buy them on the cheap and make the same amount of money as the rest of you guys do.

Smiley

Reikoku (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:08:12 PM

Guys, it's not a big deal buying used hardware. So what if it's overclocked? I've bought two used 5850s, both of which are fine.

I don't mind buying overclocked, the problem is a lot of gamers clock their cards beyond where they should and poorly cool them (either open case or bad fans or terribly implemented water cooling). The reason they do this is because they expect a card to last maybe 6-8 months, until they replace it.

For you to take that card, thrashed for 6-8 months, and then thrash it yourself even with proper cooling is just asking for downtime to happen. Let's say you're making about $30 per day off a card right now, even one day of downtime on your card offsets the benefit you made from buying it second hand. Seven days (average XFX warranty turnaround) is $210 lost.

I'd rather just buy new, it's safer and more certain. Obviously, I can't make anyone buy new, but I don't think it's OCD to take the more certain option.

kiwiasian

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:08:38 PM

I don't mind buying overclocked, the problem is a lot of gamers clock their cards beyond where they should and poorly cool them (either open case or bad fans or terribly implemented water cooling). The reason they do this is because they expect a card to last maybe 6-8 months, until they replace it.

For you to take that card, thrashed for 6-8 months, and then thrash it yourself even with proper cooling is just asking for downtime to happen. Let's say you're making about $30 per day off a card right now, even one day of downtime on your card offsets the benefit you made from buying it second hand. Seven days (average XFX warranty turnaround) is $210 lost.

I'd rather just buy new, it's safer and more certain. Obviously, I can't make anyone buy new, but I don't think it's OCD to take the more certain option.

I have a feeling that you're assuming all hardware enthusiasts are idiots.
Go to overclock.net and read the forums. Yes, there are idiots but not as many as you think.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:14:52 PM

I think you're being overly paranoid.  I don't like buying used because of the lack of warranty, not because someone else might have brought the card closer to death.  I'd be more concerned about killing the card just from normal usage than from someone "abusing" it beforehand (which, by the way, is very difficult to do without outright killing the card).
Reikoku (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:39:49 AM

Go to overclock.net and read the forums. Yes, there are idiots but not as many as you think.

I think you're assuming most gamers are hardware enthusiasts. A lot of them know very little about overclocking, other than that it makes their computer faster.

kiwiasian

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 03:47:58 AM

I think you're assuming most gamers are hardware enthusiasts. A lot of them know very little about overclocking, other than that it makes their computer faster.

Alright, well here I have personal proof that they are not idiots. I bought two 5850s used for $150 shipped each, and they are sitting on my desk right here and mining at full power. You can go ahead and buy new hardware, while I get them cheaper, save money, and make the same BTC as you do.

OggerMC

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:23:31 PM

still selling them? updated prices?
SmokeAndMirrors

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:44:31 PM

I have to say, I've got 3 different machines running and the open case one runs the coolest at 65C. Not the greatest temp but by far, not bad.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: