Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:27:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Btcoin becoming centralized?  (Read 2161 times)
BTCish

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 08:52:13 AM

Algorithm can be changed to avoid new asic development, when for example bitcoin algorithm would be changed to current asic proof, if someone crazy company would start to develop new asic suitable for new algorithm, it would take a while when they succed, after that, algorithm can be changed to avoid that nwe asic too, and thats about it, i would like to see which crazy company would invest in researching technology that would not be needed soon after it is developed. There would be plenty of miners for supporting transactions, you can be sure about that, there just need to be correct information about that for potential miners. I am not in a dream world, unless bitcoin developers are close to large companies that gain profits from asic development, that this all idea is not real. It should not be like that is now, everyone is supporting greedy companies, that is making money by producing miners for dummies, that will most probably get back their money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCish

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 08:54:12 AM

Bitcoin should be decentralized and those who support transactions should be rewarded.

Tstar
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

Decentralized Asset Management Platform

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 08:59:36 AM

Bitcoin should be decentralized and those who support transactions should be rewarded.

In a way you are saying that we would need no "professional" mining companies, aren't you? Can you say a bit more? I would also like to have a time again in which we could all participate into the mining process: not for profit purposes, but to be again a part of the development.

███████████████████████████
████▄▀▀▀███████████████████
█████▄    ▀▀▀██████████████
██████▄▄       ▀▀▀█████████
███████▀██▄▄        ▀▀█████
████████   ▀▀▀      ▄██████
█████████▄▄       ▄████████
█████████  ▀▀   ▄██████████
██████████    ▄████████████
███████████ ▄██████████████
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄██████
███████████████████████████
.COOK.
     Decentralized Asset Management Platform     
│▐ █     WHITEPAPER   │   TWITTER   │   LINKEDIN   │   TELEGRAM     █ ▌│
          ▄▄███████▄▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀█████▄▄
███████████████▄▄█▀██████

█████████████████████████
██▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████
██▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████████
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀███████▀███▄█
█████████████████████▀███▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
▀█████████████▀█████████▀▀▀
       ██ ▀█▀ ▄██
       ▀██▄ ▄███▀
        ▀▀████▀▀
✔  Accessible
✔  Secure
✔  Transparent
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 09:12:44 AM

Algorithm can be changed to avoid new asic development, when for example bitcoin algorithm would be changed to current asic proof, if someone crazy company would start to develop new asic suitable for new algorithm, it would take a while when they succed, after that, algorithm can be changed to avoid that nwe asic too, and thats about it, i would like to see which crazy company would invest in researching technology that would not be needed soon after it is developed. There would be plenty of miners for supporting transactions, you can be sure about that, there just need to be correct information about that for potential miners. I am not in a dream world, unless bitcoin developers are close to large companies that gain profits from asic development, that this all idea is not real. It should not be like that is now, everyone is supporting greedy companies, that is making money by producing miners for dummies, that will most probably get back their money.

So you are proposing that the algorithm be changed to render all the existing hardware inoperative, then if a new ASIC is developed that process is repeated. Just so that you can go back to mining with your CPU?

Sounds like a great way of killing Bitcoin stone dead....

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
BTCish

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 09:58:13 AM

So you are proposing that the algorithm be changed to render all the existing hardware inoperative, then if a new ASIC is developed that process is repeated. Just so that you can go back to mining with your CPU?

Sounds like a great way of killing Bitcoin stone dead....

Rich

Think a little bit out of your box. it would not kill btc, it will decentralize it and make all again the part of the developing bitcoin. It can be done smart.

PCComf

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 03:16:37 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2015, 08:54:38 PM by PCComf

Think a little bit out of your box. it would not kill btc, it will decentralize it and make all again the part of the developing bitcoin. It can be done smart.

It would be impossible to get consensus when so much of the existing hash is being done by these hardware companies. It's logical that they built farms with significant enough hash power to prevent this sort of disruption from happening and to protect their hardware business. I'm curious how you would deal with that.

EDIT: Oops I managed to post in a thread whose primary purpose is for people to get their quotas for their advertising campaigns. The ignore button is getting hot.
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 05:57:24 PM

Yes, Bitcoin mining is centralizing and will continue to do so until it gets to a point where it is breakeven for the most part or very small margins.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 06:13:51 PM

I think that Bitcoin mining is centralized due to the fact that mining farms have most control of the network's hashrate and thus, rendering an average Joe impossible to mine them using their own ASICs or PC. Just my opinion.  Smiley

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 07:59:37 PM

Algorithm can be changed to avoid new asic development

1 - The is no asic resistant algorithm.
2 - Changing the algorithm of Bitcoin is impossible (without killing it).

everyone is supporting greedy companies, that is making money by producing miners for dummies, that will most probably get back their money.

No one like them but without them Bitcoin doesn't exist. Your bitcoins are worth zero on a different fork.

You can do it right now yourself : clone the Bitcoin code, change the algo, that's it.
Now you are on the temporary asic resistant chain but no one will ever give you a cent for your bitcoins.

HarryKPeters

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 09:35:04 PM

I think that Bitcoin mining is centralized due to the fact that mining farms have most control of the network's hashrate and thus, rendering an average Joe impossible to mine them using their own ASICs or PC. Just my opinion.  Smiley

True the mining centralization is a security hazard, luckily the network also counts on numours bitcoin nodes and they are 'quite' well spread. So there is hope.

However we need to see some diversification towards the mining farms. 2 parties eating up 50% is never good.. In finace we call this a oligopoly and no governement likes it.

Because it gives both party too much power to influence the price of their product.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 07:56:20 AM

no please not this shit again, algo cannot be changed at this point, because all miners need to change their asic, which will kill bitcoin completely

you see vertocoin, when they changed their algo the whole coin died and that was much less painful than something like a "400 peta of algo to be changed"
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 04:35:07 PM

no please not this shit again, algo cannot be changed at this point, because all miners need to change their asic, which will kill bitcoin completely

you see vertocoin, when they changed their algo the whole coin died and that was much less painful than something like a "400 peta of algo to be changed"

And really if a coin is profitable... move will be moved find a way to mine it.  Think about all the CPU coins there was at one time, now almost all can be done by GPU.  There is not even a CPU coin worth mining. 

Think of scrypt.... it was big money and what happened? Investments came in and they made a scrypt asic.  So it is not surprising if there is technology that comes out such as asics if a certain algo is worth it.  But the sad truth is besides BTC and LTC the rest don't really tend to be as stable, and I was someone that loved Dodge but it lost a lot it's popularity.  There is a lot of pump/dump now.
Nameless Coin

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 11:52:34 PM

The difference with VTC was that Vertcoin was already on a demise and they hoped this would bring new life in their coin, they failed badly however.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:23:06 AM

I don't understand why folks think that for Bitcoin to succeed that there must be 1 million or more miners. If folks are worried about the dreaded 51% attack, then won't 100 equally sixed mining pools cover that? If it's going to be some kind of useful payment scheme, then it's going to need to have low transaction costs, or it will be a failure compared to existing systems. Some degree of centralization will almost be a requirement in order keep economies of scale up.

Yes, it was cool when folks could all mine Bitcoins on GPU's. That was an interesting starting, point, but it's not the long term (i.e. more than 10 years out) future of BTC, nor it's final destination.
LuckyYOU

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 03:10:43 PM

I don't understand why folks think that for Bitcoin to succeed that there must be 1 million or more miners. If folks are worried about the dreaded 51% attack, then won't 100 equally sixed mining pools cover that? If it's going to be some kind of useful payment scheme, then it's going to need to have low transaction costs, or it will be a failure compared to existing systems. Some degree of centralization will almost be a requirement in order keep economies of scale up.

Yes, it was cool when folks could all mine Bitcoins on GPU's. That was an interesting starting, point, but it's not the long term (i.e. more than 10 years out) future of BTC, nor it's final destination.

Millions of miners are not needed, but people are rightfully worried about thetop 3/4 mining pools. Instead of new competition they are getting bigger (bigger distance with th no 3, etc.).
Like CEX.io a year ago had. Now people are worried too.

bitlancr

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:56:04 PM

Answer: Yes

It's good however because not 1 pool/party can do a 51% attacked. Compared to 2 years ago, there are more miners and also more bigger pools.
amrulshare

Activity: 1316
Merit: 546

Monday Hit Me Every week

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 06:46:27 PM

Answer: Yes

It's good however because not 1 pool/party can do a 51% attacked. Compared to 2 years ago, there are more miners and also more bigger pools.

It is getting more centralized and yes i agree it is not a bad thing actually. As long there is enoug competition between large pools/ miner centra. the safety of the network against 51% attacks is guaranteed.

The main key to success is in the value of assets that are getting more valuable. Recommended Crypto Trading platform Binance.com
Tmdz

Activity: 1008

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 08:31:38 PM

The other side of the coin is a bigger network more power to compute transactions.  The network today is centralized to a point being major company's house the majority of the network power.  Cexio at a point had 50% of the network but they have downsized to prevent a overtake and endangering the coin.  So we will continue this trend and the big company's will continue to be the majority of the backbone.  Its more of a unavoidable future that will happen once something becomes mainstream.

When someone makes a product it might start in his garage and then some small producers but eventually to reduce costs and be efficient your product will be produced in China for less money on a mega scale.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: