Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 10:55:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Security risks with using Windows 10  (Read 5236 times)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 07:49:39 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2015, 08:03:04 PM by ArticMine

Here is another horror story from a "Trusted" Microsoft partner directed at consumers. https://boingboing.net/2015/09/22/yet-another-pre-installed-spyw.html As if Superfish was not bad enough. We must keep in mind that Microsoft allows the use of its trademarked logo on these spyware riddled computers, as it the spyware and keyloggers in Windows 10 were not bad enough. So Microsoft is the the problem here.

Edit: The Superfish computers came with the Windows logo. http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/03/two-weeks-on-superfish-debacle-still-causing-pain-for-some-lenovo-customers/

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 07:51:28 PM

If you have to use Windows the best is to stick with Windows 7. After XP, this is the only operating system that they have done right.

I have also heard all of the worst against the Windows 10 so I would stay away from it!
Pattart (OP)

Activity: 1190
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 08:40:50 PM

Hi guys, thanks for all of the help.

The problem I have is that I am looking for a new high end laptop for college and all of the ones I have been looking at come with Windows 10. Given that it looks like Windows 10 has all of those potential security risks due to their tracking, I think I will hold off on moving my wallet to it.

I don't want to install Windows 7 or Linux on the laptop since it can be a pain in the ass and I'm not sure how well linux would work in a school environment. Also, linux can't play some games that I want Grin

OmegaStarScream, I will check out that guide. Do you know if it actually prevents everything with privacy tracking in Windows 10 that could affect a Bitcoin wallet?
ronald98

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 08:57:18 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2015, 09:27:00 PM by ronald98

The problem I have is that I am looking for a new high end laptop for college and all of the ones I have been looking at come with Windows 10. Given that it looks like Windows 10 has all of those potential security risks due to their tracking, I think I will hold off on moving my wallet to it.

I don't want to install Windows 7 or Linux on the laptop since it can be a pain in the ass and I'm not sure how well linux would work in a school environment. Also, linux can't play some games that I want Grin

OmegaStarScream, I will check out that guide. Do you know if it actually prevents everything with privacy tracking in Windows 10 that could affect a Bitcoin wallet?

If you are a student you will probably be able to get free copies of Windows vista/7/8/10 through Microsoft Dreamspark. Ask your college if it's included in the Dreamspark program and if it will give you a Dreamspark account. If it's included you get most versions of Window for free, but if it's not included you might be able to sign up for a lower level of account directly through dreamspark which gives you most software apart from Windows.

https://www.dreamspark.com/

The only useful thing not provided by Dreamspark is a free copy of Microsoft Office. If offers most Microsoft software for free to students. Check out the link to find out what you can get.
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 09:07:04 PM

I havent heard of any security vulnerabilities to windows 10, but of course there are. Are there actually any big ones that can affect Bitcoin? Would linux be safer? I switch between Bitcoin-qt and coinbase, so which one would be safer for me currently?

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
Pattart (OP)

Activity: 1190

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 09:14:46 PM

If you are a student you will probably be able to get free copies of Windows vista/7/8/10 through Microsoft Dreamspark. Ask your college if it's included in the Dreamspark program and if it will give you a Dreamspark account. If it's included you get most versions of Window for free, but if it's not included you might be able to sign up for a lower level of account directly through dreamspark which gives you most software apart from Windows.

https://www.dreamspark.com/

The only useful thing not provided by Dreamspark is a free copy of Microsoft Office. If offers mos Microsoft software for free to students. Check out the link to find out what you can get.
That's interesting. I don't really need to get free copies of windows though, I have a windows 7 install disk, I just don't want to install windows 7 on a new computer if I don't need to.

I havent heard of any security vulnerabilities to windows 10, but of course there are. Are there actually any big ones that can affect Bitcoin? Would linux be safer? I switch between Bitcoin-qt and coinbase, so which one would be safer for me currently?
It isn't security vulnerabilities but rather all of the tracking that microsoft does which can potentially reveal sensitive information.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 09:56:26 PM

You should keep those two to seperate machines. No matter what you study, you will not need a high end machine. Buying a laptop for gaming is a waste of money. Mobile GPUs are very expensive and you have constant heat problems. Get a decent laptop for study/work and keep it clean of distractions. Get a desktop for gaming, its cheaper for the same amount of power.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
mirana12345

Activity: 630

PM me to buy traffic for your site!

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 10:49:20 PM

I am looking to upgrade to a new computer with Windows 10 but i have head that Windows 10 has some privacy issues which can be security risks to bitcoin wallets on Windows 10 devices. What exactly are those issues and what risks do they pose to bitcoiners using Windows 10?

Trust nothing and noone when dealing with your bitcoins.
Even tho you should be fine even with win10, because they're not interested in anyone's coins, being a part
of such a privacy violation is not recommended. imho, bitcoin and linux were always a far better option than trusting that massive privacy abusers from MS.
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 10:54:28 PM

in before Microsoft steals millions of wallets worth half a billion dollars. Would not be that bad of a business plan. Big corporations do anything for money nowadays. Just look at VW corp, a bit of a childish move by them don't you think? however Microsoft days would be numbered if that surfaces. For now I would stick with windows 7. Just in case, always have your tinfoil hat ready.

Of course they are not going to steal bitcoins all of the sudden, although the cia or something similar might want to access if your pc or you are related to shady business or activities on the internet.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 11:03:47 PM

I would get a GNU/Linux laptop and run Windows 10 in a Virtualbox VM. It is actually way easier to manage Windows in a VM than on the hardware itself. This puts Windows 10 in a sandbox where it belongs. If a professor insists on you accepting Microsoft's EULA as a condition of a higher education you then have the option of caving in.

Microsoft software is provided at very cheap prices or free to post secondary students in order to get them addicted at young age. When I went to university in the late 1970's the tobacco companies were promoting student events in order to get the students addicted. Some things actually do not change with time.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Arcteryx

Activity: 728

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 11:05:28 PM

Agreed with second post. Stick with Windows 7 since it is reliable and working already.
Why switch to windows 10? It is the same thing just upgraded visual and means more problems technically in the long run.
It is just Windows 8 but without the widgets turned on by default  Cheesy

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
Blue_Tiger73

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 12:47:19 AM

I normally just use an online wallet so it doesn't really matter for me. I still have a software wallet and I am using windows 7. I like it as it is and I am not looking to changing seeing as the reviews of it are pretty bad. On windows 7 my Bitcoin wallet is very safe and I recommend you don't change.
USB-S

Activity: 574

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 02:23:50 AM

in before Microsoft steals millions of wallets worth half a billion dollars. Would not be that bad of a business plan. Big corporations do anything for money nowadays. Just look at VW corp, a bit of a childish move by them don't you think? however Microsoft days would be numbered if that surfaces. For now I would stick with windows 7. Just in case, always have your tinfoil hat ready.

Of course they are not going to steal bitcoins all of the sudden, although the cia or something similar might want to access if your pc or you are related to shady business or activities on the internet.
I think that CIA was the one who forced their agenda onto Microsoft. I've even heard that facebook is on board. Most people who have used internet are just a button away for them. think about all the sensitive data you have.

I heard that win 10 sends all of your keypresses and clipboard info to their central servers along with other sensitive data just to "improve" their service. I don't know exactly how much data is being sent but it's kind of frightening to think how much power these big corporations have over us.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
FrostStick

Activity: 361

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 02:25:25 AM

My friend who also uses bitcoins just recently upgraded to windows 10 and he hasn't got a problem with storing bitcoins in his Bitcoin wallet.

If you're concerned about this you can always store your coins in an exchange or an online wallet.
USB-S

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 02:35:59 AM

My friend who also uses bitcoins just recently upgraded to windows 10 and he hasn't got a problem with storing bitcoins in his Bitcoin wallet.

If you're concerned about this you can always store your coins in an exchange or an online wallet.
it isn't a problem per say yet. But windows logs your data, which may or may not contain bitcoin addresses. And never store your coins on an exchange, that's a bad tip. MtGox never forget. Online wallets are so so. They are mostly a central institutions who can just pack up their stuff and walk away with your coins. Few of them are legit but you should still be wary and do your research before you use any of them.

````````````````████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
                   Get free eth
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2015, 02:37:10 AM

Exchanges or most online wallets are the least preferred ways to store your bitcoin. Coinbase does have a multisig vault that is OK. Hardware wallets like Ledger can now be had for less than $50, letting you access your bitcoin using an online wallet but keeping private keys securely offline.

yenxz

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 02:46:53 AM

what version of that windows 10?is enterprise or professional?
USB-S

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 02:49:07 AM

what version of that windows 10?is enterprise or professional?
Every windows 10 smells in a bad way.

````````````````████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
                   Get free eth
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 03:37:24 AM

It is not so simple anymore. Microsoft added telemetry to older system as well. With windows update we now have in windows Vista, 7 and 8 the same spying tools windows 10 has.
So reverting to older system - unless it is windows XP with its discontinued support and old architecture is not so good idea. The only way is to delete these updates and block telemetry.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 03:55:32 AM

The day that happens - would probably signal the beginning of the end for MS. There is pretty much no chance that would ever happen - it would be committing commercial suicide. There is a difference from being insecure and just so happening to leave holes for the NSA to snoop into and actively making backdoors to steal money from people. While we already know about the former, little is being done - whereas in the latter case you can be sure there would be associated lawsuits and a far larger media presence which would actively hurt MS.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: