Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:36:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AntMiner u3 stop working after a few hours  (Read 1361 times)
paD (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 08:17:40 AM

Hey together,

i have a AntMiner u3 on a macMini with the MacMiner software.

The problem is, that after a few hours the miner stop working (or the Software?). I got no accept or rejects from the pool.
If i stop an start the Software again it works fine.. - for a few hours Cheesy

And every 1-2 days, the miner stop working completely. That means, i have to disconnect the AntMiner and plugin it again.
No restart or reboot from the software or the mac helps. Only restart the miner.

Did everyone know that problem? Can i relive the AntMiner without plugout/plugin?

Thanks in advance for your help.

paD
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 5032

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 08:18:29 AM

There's a whole thread about this zombie problem

I don't own one, but because i'm interested in technology, i browsed it a while ago.
If i remember correctly, it boils down to two sollutions:

- Buy a modified R1 with custom firmware
- hook the power up to a timer and reset the power every couple of hours

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
paD (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 08:32:17 AM

oh okay, it means that isn't really a solution.
did you know what is the problem? The u3 miner? or the combination of mac & the miner? or something else?

thanks

paD
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 09:59:33 AM

oh okay, it means that isn't really a solution.
did you know what is the problem? The u3 miner? or the combination of mac & the miner? or something else?

thanks

paD

As i said before, i'm not an U3 owner, but from what i've read, it's the U3 itself.
Some sort of design flaw or something... People were experimenting with modding their U3's, and improved the amount of time they would keep hashing, but after a while, they still "zombied".

The only partial sollutions were the two sollutions i gave in my previous post Wink
Eventough they are not perfect, they still make sure you have a hands-free mining experience (in other words, when using these sollutions, you can achieve a decent uptime for your miners without having to check if they're still mining every couple of hours)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
paD (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 12:21:21 PM

thanks for your help. so i have to try to disconnect the power supply every 10 hours or so.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 12:41:34 PM

thanks for your help. so i have to try to disconnect the power supply every 10 hours or so.

Personally, i would suggest disconnecting it more often... You can buy a timer like this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/The-110V-timer-US-timer-power-plug-timing-switch-power-supply-timer-reminder/609192_1329390759.html

(just googled for that link, i have no affiliation with aliexpress, nor can i say i have experience with the timer in the link).

I would personally switch the power off for 1 minute every 3-4 hours or so...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
MarkM1887

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 12:50:40 PM

I have my u3 hooked up to a pi with minera and i have it set up to reboot my pi every 12 hours and i havent had any problems since then.
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 03:36:48 PM

Macs have soooo many problems with the Antminer brand.
Also, U3s are famous for being unstable and zombifying after every few hours, it's a known problem that I, myself have known for as long as I've had the thing.

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
paD (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 04:13:30 PM

did anything helps, for customer voltage or frequency?

./bfgminer --set antminer:voltage=x850 --set antminer:clock=x982 --set antminer:timing=0.0054 -S ant miner:all

e.g.?
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2015, 10:38:56 AM

did anything helps, for customer voltage or frequency?

./bfgminer --set antminer:voltage=x850 --set antminer:clock=x982 --set antminer:timing=0.0054 -S ant miner:all

e.g.?

As far as i could tell, the only thing that helped was resetting it...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
paD (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 10:40:40 AM

i set up a time switcher. every 4h 1minute. no problems since 16h..

thanks for your help
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 06:48:50 PM

thanks for your help

Interesting idea I've heard of someone mention it before but never seen it tried.  Please let us know as that is a nice and cheap way of doing it.

I'm currently using software and a R1 to do it.   Its nice and quick to fix zombies but did cost be more then a timer switch.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 08:05:16 AM

thanks for your help

Interesting idea I've heard of someone mention it before but never seen it tried.  Please let us know as that is a nice and cheap way of doing it.

I'm currently using software and a R1 to do it.   Its nice and quick to fix zombies but did cost be more then a timer switch.

But if you already own an R1, i guess the timer switch i proposed is a lesser sollution.
From what i heared, the R1 costs a bit of money, but works like a charm. Can you confirm this for the OP, so he know if it's worthwile to buy an R1?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 09:47:13 PM

thanks for your help

But if you already own an R1, i guess the timer switch i proposed is a lesser sollution.
From what i heared, the R1 costs a bit of money, but works like a charm. Can you confirm this for the OP, so he know if it's worthwile to buy an R1?

I can confirm if you get from CrazyGuy in thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1197152.0 it works "like a charm" for me.  But he put in a decent amount of time making a custom firmware that his customers can select when buying.   It's this custom firmware that add's the magic, as of now the R1 from bitmain without the custom firmware is not a fix.

But I got lucky and ordered from crazyguy (was trying to save shipping vs buying unit and adapter day one, but adapter turned out not needed for US plugs).  It has saved my time I was wasting with 3 U3's resetting so much.
paD (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 09:01:51 AM

Hey,

no chance, i send back the miner to the seller. he send me a new one he has testet before.
now it looks fine Wink

best regards
paD
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 11:12:16 PM

Hey,

no chance, i send back the miner to the seller. he send me a new one he has testet before.
now it looks fine Wink

best regards
paD

He can send you another but they all zombie out with U3's.  It's just a fact.   Granted some do it more then other's and some argue linux less then windows.

But I can guarantee the one he sends you will zombie out at some point after mining... and it will do it over and over.  This is why automation is so important with these.
bctmke

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:16:50 PM

Hey,

now it looks fine Wink

best regards
paD

He can send you another but they all zombie out with U3's.  It's just a fact.   Granted some do it more then other's and some argue linux less then windows.

But I can guarantee the one he sends you will zombie out at some point after mining... and it will do it over and over.  This is why automation is so important with these.

Listen to notlist3d.  He's telling you whats up.  This WILL zombie.  It just might last longer.  You'll need to automate a reset of the U3 or whatever device it's plugged into.  When I had one I didn't ever have a consistent uptime so I couldn't assume that if I reset it every four hours it'd be ok.  Sometimes it'd go away minutes after a reset and others it'd last a few days.

The best option is to just return what you have and pick up a few stickminers if you want to mine with the small hash.

NXS is on the move!   Come subscribe to our subreddit  https://www.reddit.com/r/nexusearth/
Come mine NXS at http://nxsminingpool.com
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:53:36 PM

Hey,

now it looks fine Wink

best regards
paD

Listen to notlist3d.  He's telling you whats up.  This WILL zombie.  It just might last longer.  You'll need to automate a reset of the U3 or whatever device it's plugged into.  When I had one I didn't ever have a consistent uptime so I couldn't assume that if I reset it every four hours it'd be ok.  Sometimes it'd go away minutes after a reset and others it'd last a few days.

The best option is to just return what you have and pick up a few stickminers if you want to mine with the small hash.

If the seller sent one for free that does make it a little better.  But it does not matter what it does zombie out, just part of it's nature.

You really need automation which means find someone who has written it for a RPI.  Or easiest get a crazyguy custom FW R1 to fix U3 zombies.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 10:05:00 AM

If the seller sent one for free that does make it a little better.  But it does not matter what it does zombie out, just part of it's nature.

You really need automation which means find someone who has written it for a RPI.  Or easiest get a crazyguy custom FW R1 to fix U3 zombies.

The only problem with crazyguy's R1 is the fact that it's only economic to buy one if you're in the US. He should have a reseller in the EU to, so we can buy one without having the USPS and our local customs double the cost of buying an R1...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████